Why dont people vote?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by DeltaDog, May 11, 2009.

?
  1. They simply don't know/care about politics

34.2%
  2. They are disillusioned with all parties/politicians

59.5%
  3. They don't understand the voting process

1.8%
  4. They vent their opinions online, and no longer feel the need to visit the poll booths

4.5%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. According to this chart, the percentage of UK citizens bothering to vote at general elections has fallen sharply in recent years - from 78% in 1992 to just 61% in 2005.

Although turnout figures from 2005 are slightly higher than those from 2001, personal experience tells me that a large percentage of people are still extremely apathetic towards voting.

There must be a catalyst for the sudden drop in percentages, so what is it and how can it be reversed?

Edited to add: I'd also be interested to see the percentage of different age groups/minorities/etc. who voted, but couldn't find this information anywhere.

2. Because none of 'em are worth voting for.

If we did it would only encourage them in their deluded belief that they are.

3. I'll stick my neck out on this one.

I reckon it is a mixture of all the factors that you have included in your vote.
    Speaking for myself, I didn't vote in either the 2001 or the 2005 elections because I really could'nt find anybody I wanted to vote for.
    Some may say this was irresponsible but the two mainstream parties looked equally distasteful and I could'nt fathom out what the Lib/Dems stood for.
    The minor parties from Green to BNP seemed equally unattractive and no good independent candidates stood in my voting area.
    It was a frustrating period and one I am not proud of.
    However,
    I shall definitely be voting in all future elections especially the long awaited 'General' one and I hope that many who felt as I did will do the same.

4. Hear hear!!

Seconded!!

You have my vote L/P Jonesy!!! :D :D

5. Because all politicians are useless lying self serving bastards and whichever way you vote somebody will get into power.
    :x

6. I never took you for the jealous type to be honest....

7. I don't think that there is anything jealous in that. I'm just trying to say that voting just gets a different type of lizard

cut'n paste from a quick google

The wrong lizard
    There’s only one way to understand this, and Douglas Adams said it best:

‘On [that] world, the people are people. The leaders are lizards. The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people.’

‘Odd,’ said Arthur, ‘I thought you said it was a democracy?’

‘I did,’ said Ford, ‘It is.’

‘So,’ said Arthur, hoping he wasn’t sounding ridiculously obtuse, ‘why don’t the people get rid of the lizards?’

‘It honestly doesn’t occur to them,’ said Ford. ‘They’ve all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they’ve voted in more or less approximates to the government they want.’

‘You mean they actually vote for the lizards?’

‘Oh yes,’ said Ford with a shrug, ‘of course.’

‘But,’ said Arthur, going for the big one again, ‘why?’

‘Because if they didn’t vote for a lizard,’ said Ford, ‘the wrong lizard might get in.’

Of course, it’s even worse when the wrong lizard does get in

;)

8. So the "Hitch-hikers Guide to Parliament" is responsible for David Icke's viewpoint?

Deep.....

9. Maggie changed the rules.

The "Wip" system was enforced.

After this any political elected member of pairlament (paid for by party funds) was required to vote acording to the party wips.

Why vote for a person when he/she will vote on a party line.

its called dictatorship.

same as Hamas, USA democrats, etc etc.

all based on the mother of democracy =- UK.

Dont it make you proud to have spauned such democratic systems?

10. Spooned or spawned??

Bit of a difference there...

11. No need to hold back here.
    Tell us what you REALLY think about them! :D

12. What, that he is Jesus and will use any FA Cup final he pleases, to let the World in on his little "secret"?
    :?

13. I haven't voted in your poll and I'm not going to tell you why. I simply don't have the time or the energy (it's been a long day) and there's a good film on ... besides, once I've done so, if it's not the "right" answer, you'll probably make me keep on voting until I do get it right.

Makes no real-life difference anyway, the guvment always gets in :-( (Wasn't one of the reasons TB->GB got in, a reaction to Tory Sleaze? Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose)

14. 'Why would people bother to vote' ?

Vote Liarbour - same- sh*t- different day-does- it -matter ?

Vote Conservative - Cameron will fold the minute he actually has to take the reins. Only a nasal drip like him could make such a career out of Opposition :roll:

Liberal - Considered largely as a wet third option, glory days well over.Say the name 'Nick Clegg' to many and they wouldn't know, let alone care.

Extremist parties - The idea of the UK rousing itself to a state of revolution ?.... if we couldn't manage it in the 18th and 19th centuries, it ain't gonna happen now. :D Pass the remote, someone.

15. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

I went for number one and judging by the comments on here I got it right for once.

I must be an old fuddy duddy but I feel that an adoption of the Auzzie system would be good and every one must vote by law. We do need fixed term parliaments and a better way to control local polititians.