Why dont people vote?

Why don't people vote?

  • They simply don't know/care about politics

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They are disillusioned with all parties/politicians

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They don't understand the voting process

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They vent their opinions online, and no longer feel the need to visit the poll booths

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0
#1
According to this chart, the percentage of UK citizens bothering to vote at general elections has fallen sharply in recent years - from 78% in 1992 to just 61% in 2005.

Although turnout figures from 2005 are slightly higher than those from 2001, personal experience tells me that a large percentage of people are still extremely apathetic towards voting.

There must be a catalyst for the sudden drop in percentages, so what is it and how can it be reversed?

Edited to add: I'd also be interested to see the percentage of different age groups/minorities/etc. who voted, but couldn't find this information anywhere.
 
#3
I'll stick my neck out on this one.

I reckon it is a mixture of all the factors that you have included in your vote.
Speaking for myself, I didn't vote in either the 2001 or the 2005 elections because I really could'nt find anybody I wanted to vote for.
Some may say this was irresponsible but the two mainstream parties looked equally distasteful and I could'nt fathom out what the Lib/Dems stood for.
The minor parties from Green to BNP seemed equally unattractive and no good independent candidates stood in my voting area.
It was a frustrating period and one I am not proud of.
However,
I shall definitely be voting in all future elections especially the long awaited 'General' one and I hope that many who felt as I did will do the same.
 
#4
LancePrivateJones said:
I'll stick my neck out on this one.

I reckon it is a mixture of all the factors that you have included in your vote.
Speaking for myself, I didn't vote in either the 2001 or the 2005 elections because I really could'nt find anybody I wanted to vote for.
Some may say this was irresponsible but the two mainstream parties looked equally distasteful and I could'nt fathom out what the Lib/Dems stood for.
The minor parties from Green to BNP seemed equally unattractive and no good independent candidates stood in my voting area.
It was a frustrating period and one I am not proud of.
However,
I shall definitely be voting in all future elections especially the long awaited 'General' one and I hope that many who felt as I did will do the same.
Hear hear!!

Seconded!!

You have my vote L/P Jonesy!!! :D :D
 
#6
Maninthestreet said:
Because all politicians are useless lying self serving bastards and whichever way you vote somebody will get into power.
:x
I never took you for the jealous type to be honest....
 
#7
Sparky2339 said:
Maninthestreet said:
Because all politicians are useless lying self serving bastards and whichever way you vote somebody will get into power.
:x
I never took you for the jealous type to be honest....
I don't think that there is anything jealous in that. I'm just trying to say that voting just gets a different type of lizard

cut'n paste from a quick google

The wrong lizard
There’s only one way to understand this, and Douglas Adams said it best:

‘On [that] world, the people are people. The leaders are lizards. The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people.’

‘Odd,’ said Arthur, ‘I thought you said it was a democracy?’

‘I did,’ said Ford, ‘It is.’

‘So,’ said Arthur, hoping he wasn’t sounding ridiculously obtuse, ‘why don’t the people get rid of the lizards?’

‘It honestly doesn’t occur to them,’ said Ford. ‘They’ve all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they’ve voted in more or less approximates to the government they want.’

‘You mean they actually vote for the lizards?’

‘Oh yes,’ said Ford with a shrug, ‘of course.’

‘But,’ said Arthur, going for the big one again, ‘why?’

‘Because if they didn’t vote for a lizard,’ said Ford, ‘the wrong lizard might get in.’

Of course, it’s even worse when the wrong lizard does get in


;)
 
#8
So the "Hitch-hikers Guide to Parliament" is responsible for David Icke's viewpoint?

Deep.....
 
#9
Maggie changed the rules.

The "Wip" system was enforced.

After this any political elected member of pairlament (paid for by party funds) was required to vote acording to the party wips.

Why vote for a person when he/she will vote on a party line.

its called dictatorship.

same as Hamas, USA democrats, etc etc.

all based on the mother of democracy =- UK.

Dont it make you proud to have spauned such democratic systems?
 
#11
Maninthestreet said:
Because all politicians are useless lying self serving bastards and whichever way you vote somebody will get into power.
:x
No need to hold back here.
Tell us what you REALLY think about them! :D
 
#12
Sparky2339 said:
So the "Hitch-hikers Guide to Parliament" is responsible for David Icke's viewpoint?

Deep.....
What, that he is Jesus and will use any FA Cup final he pleases, to let the World in on his little "secret"?
:?
 
#13
I haven't voted in your poll and I'm not going to tell you why. I simply don't have the time or the energy (it's been a long day) and there's a good film on ... besides, once I've done so, if it's not the "right" answer, you'll probably make me keep on voting until I do get it right.

Makes no real-life difference anyway, the guvment always gets in :-( (Wasn't one of the reasons TB->GB got in, a reaction to Tory Sleaze? Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose)
 
#14
'Why would people bother to vote' ?

Vote Liarbour - same- sh*t- different day-does- it -matter ?

Vote Conservative - Cameron will fold the minute he actually has to take the reins. Only a nasal drip like him could make such a career out of Opposition :roll:

Liberal - Considered largely as a wet third option, glory days well over.Say the name 'Nick Clegg' to many and they wouldn't know, let alone care.

Extremist parties - The idea of the UK rousing itself to a state of revolution ?.... if we couldn't manage it in the 18th and 19th centuries, it ain't gonna happen now. :D Pass the remote, someone.
 
#15
I went for number one and judging by the comments on here I got it right for once.

I must be an old fuddy duddy but I feel that an adoption of the Auzzie system would be good and every one must vote by law. We do need fixed term parliaments and a better way to control local polititians.
 
#16
My wife didn't want to vote because she wasn't impressed with any of the candidates.

I told her to get down the polling booth and vote, I didn't tell her who for and said if she couldn't make up her mind then she should spoil her ballot as a demonstration of her disgust.

Imagine if a politician got voted in with less votes than the number of spoiled ballots - now that would shake the systems a bit (although probably not enough).

S_R
 
#17
Idontgetit said:
'Why would people bother to vote' ?
Especially since Suffrage is the right to vote, not the mandatory requirement to do so. I don't vote but I also don't criticize the government since I didn't have a "say" in who the government ends up being.
Anyway, it's all run by civil servants (oxymoron par excellence) and they are not elected by anyone at all.
 
#18
Sympathetic_Reaction said:
Imagine if a politician got voted in with less votes than the number of spoiled ballots - now that would shake the systems a bit (although probably not enough).
wouldn't it just confirm they can keep the gravy train rolling because no one gives a toss.
 
#19
oldgoat said:
Maggie changed the rules.

The "Wip" system was enforced.

After this any political elected member of pairlament (paid for by party funds) was required to vote acording to the party wips.

Why vote for a person when he/she will vote on a party line.

its called dictatorship.

same as Hamas, USA democrats, etc etc.

all based on the mother of democracy =- UK.

Dont it make you proud to have spauned such democratic systems?
Wholly incorrect. The position of Chief Whip is centuries old. The term 'Whip' derives from the 'whipper-in' at a fox hunt; a name given to the rider at the rear of the hounds who cracks the whip in order to keep any straying dogs in line. A parliamentary whip is responsible for ensuring that members of their party attend and vote as the party leadership wishes.

Most modern parliaments in the democratic world operate a whipping system of one kind or another. When you vote, you are not just voting for a particular individual to represent you, but for the policies that that individual is standing on - hence their party manifesto, and hence the 'whip' to ensure that MPs stick to supporting the policies they have been elected on, and don't go 'freelance' once elected to the Gravy Train (sorry, Parliament).

But well done - yet again, another ill-informed attempt at Maggie/Tory bashing.
 
#20
I didn't vote for years - absolutely no point as Labour held such a large majority anyone else was close to losing the deposit territory. That still hasn't changed over 30 years. Thankfully I've moved elsewhere, where it is fairly even stevens and I know I have a chance, if I vote, of actually effecting the outcome.

The only way I would bother again to vote in my previous ward would be if there was a move to proportional representation.

As an example of where it works, a wee write up on its merit from Scotland

http://fairvote.org/?page=2042

Had the Parliament been elected under winner-take-all, Labour would have won an absolute majority of seats despite winning fewer votes than the Scottish National Party and only 29% of the list vote.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top