Why dont I just hand everything over now?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Sympathetic_Reaction, Oct 28, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Remember the powers given to councils to spy on you...the ones that were never going to be abused...except if you tried to get your kids into a good school, or maybe put too much in your bins.

Well here is it's big brother....now no longer do they have to bother with the whole going to court to get your money, they'll just come and take your house.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/law/article6892830.ece

S_R

edited for mong typing

2. I thought at one point they were going to scrap the act entirely, as the amount recovered was so much less than it cost to implement. My local council is as bent as a curly fry.

I used to think the page in Private Eye dedicated to a Stalin-esque take on Brown's Britan was a bit harsh and didn't quite understand the message. I now think it was rather spot on and await the set up of Gulags in the Outer Hebrides while my movements are monitored and I have to present my 'papers' when I leave town.

3. George Orwell just got the date wrong.

4. I think some of those ideas - such as recovering fraudulent agricultural grants are a good idea, but I don't understand why that should not still be the remit of the police...after all, they deal with criminal matters, which that would be!

Worrying..

5. Never forget that George Orwell was Lionel Blair's brother. Yes, the smaller one.

6. Jesus. It's frightening what is happening in the UK. Just when you think it can't possibly get any worse, something like this happens. It's common knowledge in my immediate area that the councillors are a little less than straight, especially when faced with the likes of Tescos etc, so what the hell is going to happen now??

7. yet another piece of "anti-terror" legislation being used to undermind normal society! no doubt that Johnson will use the typical "this is for the protection of society and anyone voting against it, supports terrorist, etc, etc"

'king gimps :x

8. On phrase which is particularly worrying:

Just like traffic wardens being rewarded for issuing more tickets, and we all know what that means they start to do... :x

9. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

I did hear that George Orwell wanted to call his book '1948' but was asked to swap the last two numbers as it was too close.

If he thought things were that bad then, the poor campaigning devil must be rotating very quickly in his grave now.

10. Becasue the Coucils are so utterly perfect and never ever make a mistake of any kind... such as getting a name or address wrong... or looking at the wrong account for instance...

11. msr

msr LE

It wasn't published until 1949....

12. And yet in the light of this (and the litany of other crimes against us this govt has conducted) people still ask me why I want to move to Canada when I reach my IPP......

Its not so much 1984 that springs to mind but the film V for vendetta and the soliloquy he delivers to the nation about 40 mins into the film.

13. I thought the title came about cos he wrote it in 1947-8 and wanted to call it 1948... but the last 2 digits were transposed?

14. Not quite sure of the "will free Police time" comment. If anything, I could see the Police having to sort out the inevitable doorstep disputes that will happen when the proceeds of crime act is extended.

15. I really need to look into emigrating.
    RIP Democracy. You will be sadly missed.