Why does stuff take so long in the UK?

Alternatively develop a healthy disdain for the homoerotic rituals known as teams sports, enjoyed by men who love to spend time with other men and touching each others' balls.

Obsession with teams sports is detrimental to the interests of the West. It is anti intellectual, discourages individuality, and by promoting the 'elite' it actually discourages young people from exercise by giving them impossible standards to measure themselves against.

Why not use your background as a unique selling point for a business? Perhaps a cake shop called 'American Sponge' or some sort of American themed events company?
Deep in the closet are you?

That sure was a long way to go to tell him you would pay for his spotted dick.

Anyways, back to why does it take so long
We have a lot of "ideas" people who rehash stuff as soon as a previous post holder has retired. Near me is a bollock of a junction but in the 1980's it worked fine. Two lanes into a junction and two feeder lanes, a left and a right.

Some bright spark decided to make it one forward lane and two feeder lane but without enough room for the volume to feed left and right. Over the course of about twenty years with many many jams and probably a few fights and accidents, the Council have realised it doesn't work.

This little problem is now being altered. I have watched it progress over the last six months and it seems it is being changed back to what it was.

I think they also have to spend money before the end of the financial years so do strange things.

We also have a limited servant type mentality so slows down how to get things done.

Generally, we get on with it and it gives me something to moan about.

By the way, if you are entitled to benefits, claim them. There is a difference between being a life long parasite and someone who is in need of financial help for a short period. I think you fall into the latter category. Also develop a stiff upper lip and a mindset that says fuck it. Works for me.

I travelled back to UK a few days ago from southern Germany via Dover, the last time I did the drive was just over a year ago. Travelling through Germany, Belgium and France, no roadworks or delays and averaged 80mph - plain sailing.
From Dover to Northumberland I averaged 50mph due to the same fucking roadworks that were there last time. A 35 mile diversion on M20, and night closures/ diversions on every other fucking road I needed too.
The UK is dogshit.

Surely as much of the question is “why does British stuff last so bloody long?”

Most of our roads are the best part of 200 years old - built by Turnpike trusts using the macadam method and then, in reality, subject to fuck all but basic maintenance other than a 6” layer of tarmac in the 1930’s

Our railway infrastructure (that which we didn’t close down for reasons entirely unrelated to wear and tear) is pretty much the same age

Many of our bridges are at least twice this age

Most of our prefab houses, built to last ten years, lasted more than fifty - and they were often replacing hundred plus year old terraces. Even our blocks of flats only actually burn down when someone tries to ‘modernise’ them and make them look pretty rather than being sensible and replacing them.

Half the countries infrastructure is either clapped out after lasting five times as long as it was supposed to, or is like triggers new broom. That’s why everything takes so bloody long. However, (at least until recently. ie. when PFI started) we knew that it was at least being built to last.

As for China - I predict a lot of these type of videos in about 20 years time:

Actually to answer the OP it helps satisfy our bred-in need to complain.

I am going to agree with our spammy chum.

Here in Lincolnshire there are road closures that go on for weeks on end, with absolutely no discernible difference at the end of it all.

A stretch of road in South Hykeham, just down the road from me, was closed for 3 months. It caused traffic chaos, added 20 minutes to a journey (which after a week was allowed for) and when it opened up again, Huzzah! we were greeted by a 200 yard stretch of cycle lane. That isn't even used by cyclists. (Another massive fucking pet hate of mine, but not for this thread.) That closure time was insane, and obviously diverted council spending away from other much needed services. (Mental health services for ex servicemen is non existent here, for example.)

A very busy 'T' junction was closed for 'widening.' It took 4 months and it doesn't look any wider than it was before people had to take a 5 mile detour.

I am sure we have have the skills, we have the manpower and equipment so I have no idea why it takes so long 'to get stuff done.'
It's called make work. Goes through the motions of doing something.

Contractors get paid, councilers and others within local councils get kickbacks, all allegedly of course.

Surely as much of the question is “why does British stuff last so bloody long?”

Most of our roads are the best part of 200 years old - built by Turnpike trusts using the macadam method and then, in reality, subject to **** all but basic maintenance other than a 6” layer of tarmac in the 1930’s

Our railway infrastructure (that which we didn’t close down for reasons entirely unrelated to wear and tear) is pretty much the same age

Many of our bridges are at least twice this age

Most of our prefab houses, built to last ten years, lasted more than fifty - and they were often replacing hundred plus year old terraces. Even our blocks of flats only actually burn down when someone tries to ‘modernise’ them and make them look pretty rather than being sensible and replacing them.

Half the countries infrastructure is either clapped out after lasting five times as long as it was supposed to, or is like triggers new broom. That’s why everything takes so bloody long. However, (at least until recently. ie. when PFI started) we knew that it was at least being built to last.

As for China - I predict a lot of these type of videos in about 20 years time:
Corner cutting on Asian construction projects is rife across the board. Sub-standard cement is used o a lot of projects.

When the infrastructure starts to crumble, those who designed, built or commissioned it ( and those who gave or received kickbacks) had better hope they are dead by then, for otherwise they soon will be.

Corner cutting on Asian construction projects is rife across the board. Sub-standard cement is used o a lot of projects.

When the infrastructure starts to crumble, those who designed, built or commissioned it ( and those who gave or received kickbacks) had better hope they are dead by then, for otherwise they soon will be.
Yep, I learned some years ago that all that mattered in Chinese QC was that the paperwork was in order, and that in any and all circumstances paperwork was routinely ‘fixed’ for the right price

I travelled back to UK a few days ago from southern Germany via Dover, the last time I did the drive was just over a year ago. Travelling through Germany, Belgium and France, no roadworks or delays and averaged 80mph - plain sailing.
From Dover to Northumberland I averaged 50mph due to the same ******* roadworks that were there last time. A 35 mile diversion on M20, and night closures/ diversions on every other ******* road I needed too.
The UK is dogshit.
The night closures - just think for a nanosecond why they are done at night instead of during the day.

Imagine what would happen if they were done during the day...

As for long roadworks with 50mph limits on them, there are options that can avoid that these days. Not that your average dozy fucker in the construction industry is aware of them. "But we've always done it that way."

A580 Windle Island improvements, are scheduled to take over 8 months, having started before Christmas and not going to finish until July.

Part of the issue is that:
  • Work only starts after 0900 and finishes at 1500
  • Work stops for an hour between 1200 and 1300 for lunch
  • No work is done at weekends at all
  • Only about 6 people are ever working there at any given time
Windle Island Improvements - sthelens.gov.uk

This despite numerous complaints about the delays caused by the roadworks which have added over an hour to a typical journey between the M6 and Haydock.

Over the last three weeks I've been using the same slip road onto a dual carriageway,
at the bottom of the slip road there is a 50MPH sign and then 50MPH signs for about a mile
then a "end" sign, no cones no workmen freck knows what's going on

It's called make work. Goes through the motions of doing something.

Contractors get paid, councilers and others within local councils get kickbacks, all allegedly of course.
Many years ago there was a chap whose job was to to check on contractors working for the local council. He always had a top of the range Jaguar less than a year old.
The car was always a colour that stood out so that he could be easily spotted when he arrived on site.