Why does stuff take so long in the UK?

Not exactly true. When we build a road in the UK they start at one or either end and build infrastructure from one end to the other. It may be slow and the wrong way to do it, but it is quicker than the 'efficient' Germans. In Germany you'd be surprised to see bridges built over a few weeks in the middle of a field and then nothing for a couple of years. Then they'd build a road linking them up. Inefficient? Not really, the bridges were built and left to consolidate so that the road can be built with a structure that isn't going to sink a couple more inches (cm!) and need repairs further down the line.

American roads are knocked out in a couple of days and months later they are in a shocking state. They put up wooden houses in days. After the first tornado or forest fire, all that is left is the chimney stack made out of stone or brick. There's a bit of a hint there. Build out of a decent material and build once.

Building quickly is not always the efficient or correct way to do the job.

I thought the Americans built a highway from the South (states) to the Northern tip of Alaska in a few weeks during World War Two?

I think the answer to @redshift's question may be that nobody seems prepared to make a decision, for fear of getting a few things wrong. Coupled with Parkinson's law (and his bike shed law - Google it) it results in red tape and bureaucratic inertia. If you do nothing, you cannot be criticised.

Not exactly true. When we build a road in the UK they start at one or either end and build infrastructure from one end to the other. It may be slow and the wrong way to do it, but it is quicker than the 'efficient' Germans. In Germany you'd be surprised to see bridges built over a few weeks in the middle of a field and then nothing for a couple of years. Then they'd build a road linking them up. Inefficient? Not really, the bridges were built and left to consolidate so that the road can be built with a structure that isn't going to sink a couple more inches (cm!) and need repairs further down the line.

American roads are knocked out in a couple of days and months later they are in a shocking state. They put up wooden houses in days. After the first tornado or forest fire, all that is left is the chimney stack made out of stone or brick. There's a bit of a hint there. Build out of a decent material and build once.

Building quickly is not always the efficient or correct way to do the job.
Right. And the reason why there are so many pot holes and the road surface is crap is?

Don't get me wrong, I grew up a bit in Detroit where the lack of funding means we probably have the biggest potholes, apart from Mars.

Right. And the reason why there are so many pot holes and the road surface is crap is?

Don't get me wrong, I grew up a bit in Detroit where the lack of funding means we probably have the biggest potholes, apart from Mars.
If you look at my post, I was pointing out that our system was not the right way to do things, but not the worst either.

Our new roads go for a couple of years before the pot holes start. Not repairing them properly means they get much worse. But the roads in the US are SHOCKING!

........ If you do nothing, you cannot be criticised.
Unlike Lincolnshire County Council Highways Department who didn't post the necessary notices for an expensive Public Inquiry into a proposed by-pass and which then had to be postponed until they got their sh!t together. It had only taken 30 years to get to that stage so there was no rush!!

I am going to agree with our spammy chum.

Here in Lincolnshire there are road closures that go on for weeks on end, with absolutely no discernible difference at the end of it all.

A stretch of road in South Hykeham, just down the road from me, was closed for 3 months. It caused traffic chaos, added 20 minutes to a journey (which after a week was allowed for) and when it opened up again, Huzzah! we were greeted by a 200 yard stretch of cycle lane. That isn't even used by cyclists. (Another massive fucking pet hate of mine, but not for this thread.) That closure time was insane, and obviously diverted council spending away from other much needed services. (Mental health services for ex servicemen is non existent here, for example.)

A very busy 'T' junction was closed for 'widening.' It took 4 months and it doesn't look any wider than it was before people had to take a 5 mile detour.

I am sure we have have the skills, we have the manpower and equipment so I have no idea why it takes so long 'to get stuff done.'
Been on the A14 lately? Roadworks started to widen the road in 2016/17 and it's not due for completion until 2020... better make that 2021.

End of last year Highways England shut a lane on a slip road off the A14 westbound onto to the A10 at Cambridge, nobody working on it, just coned it off. Due to the amount of traffic trying to get into Cambridge off that junction in the morning, plus the permanent roadworks from the M11 to Huntingdon, Highways England estimated 96 minutes to drive 26 miles westwards. In reality it took longer than that.

It is 'commuter hell' after A14 is narrowed to one lane at Milton interchange

And then when enough people complained and the press started chewing on the story Highways England opened the slip road, no work done, just took the cones away due to 'an unexpected issue'.

Hated Milton A14 lane closure to be lifted due to 'unexpected issue'

Highways England : Thundercunts

As a semi retired International trucker, I have driven over an awful lot of Western Europe from Denmark all the way to Gibraltar and 90% of this country.
This country of ours does seem to have a monopoly on the dragging out of municipal road works. The only time work seems to get done on time, is when Penalty clauses are written into Contracts.
I expect there’s folk on here that know more about this thing than me.
I know a lad who travels around the country on roadworks. Most of the jobs get dragged out because the contractor, puts in the minimum bid and will not pay for overtime etc.
So consequently the road workers drag the job out. Well that’s what he told me.

Just thank your lucky stars it’s not run by the Manx highway authority.
They keep the TT course tickets boo ( so can do stuff) but anything else....Jesus.
Reassance popes have been elected reigned and died quicker than they can do potholes...................and breathe.....

Just thank your lucky stars it’s not run by the Manx highway authority.
They keep the TT course tickets boo ( so can do stuff) but anything else....Jesus.
Reassance popes have been elected reigned and died quicker than they can do potholes...................and breathe.....
You must remember, petrol heads get priority over everything

Are you sure British citizenship was a great idea? You will never really be viewed as one of them, more or less just a 2nd class sponge.
Not true.

He will be adopted as one of ours when he develops a stiff upper lip and a sense of stoic irony; stops hanging round with antipodean incomers and gets some proper Brit mates; learns the laws of rugby and the rules of cricket; and cultivates an appreciation for twiggy warm beer and The Archers. Simples.

Krautman

On ROPS
On ROPs
I fear we are not that clever. Looking at 3 great projects in Germany, the Elbphilharmonie, Stuttgart 21 a rail station, and the new Airport in Berlin they blew the timeframe and the budget massively. And many of our bridges and streets are in shit state.

One thing that can delay schemes is Statutory Undertakers plant - gas, water, electric and telecoms. Want to do a junction improvement and someone's underground kit is in the way? It needs moving, which is fine. Except you're then at the beck and call of, say, the water company who will move their plant in their own sweet time. You can try to jolly them along but if they've other stuff to do elsewhere - tough.

Not true.

He will be adopted as one of ours when he develops a stiff upper lip and a sense of stoic irony; stops hanging round with antipodean incomers and gets some proper Brit mates; learns the laws of rugby and the rules of cricket; and cultivates an appreciation for twiggy warm beer and The Archers. Simples.
Which won’t really happen, as he will cherry pick parts of your culture and ours. One never really gives up their previous ties as much as they try. Somethings will always stick.

Not true.

And do not forget the offside rule in football, er, soccer, not to be confused with tubs of lard who dress up in cushions and throw a half sized ball at each other shouting, "Hup, Hup," :cool:

Which won’t really happen, as he will cherry pick parts of your culture and ours. One never really gives up their previous ties as much as they try. Somethings will always stick.
Agreed. Right now I'm exploring micro breweries in Barcelona (I live 90 mins away by car) in the hope of finding a good ale. Am on second pint of a rather aceptable amber ale so result.

But I agree with both you and Civvylurker. But he also needs to get the copious amounts of tea gene inserted into his DNA.
Only then will he be accepted.

After over 3 decades in Catalonia I still haven't broken the cuppa habit.