Why does PTSD still have a stigma in the Army?? Why can victims not receive correct disability??

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Richie2cs, Aug 22, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well having served my country for 22 years and reaching the rank of WO1 was diagnosed with PTSD in 2011. On completion of service was given a 20% disability allowance by the veterans agency. Is this fair bearing in mind that every night is taken from me and every single day must take a catalogue of medication. Every night receive flash backs, sweating, talking in sleep, thrashing around and wake up feeling sick and emotional. All days are spent going over and over this trauma which was suffered after an incident in Bosnia. On my 3rd job since leaving the service as always have disagreements with work employees caused through temper and lack of sleep.... Agree that this is not an injury that is visible like the lose of an arm or leg but this is still an injury that goes on and on!!!

• Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. @Richie2cs,

You can always ask for a review of your allowance, but I would suggest that you need to seek medical help first. From what you have posted, whatever treatment you are currently getting is not working effectively, any changes to your condition/treatment could be used as a reason to initiate a review of your allowance.

• Like Like x 3
    • Show again braincell Show again braincell x 1
  3. shiny_arrse .... Roger to that currently taking the Veterans to an appeal court over the allowance awarded. Currently in therapy and watched weekly by a head doctor...

• Like Like x 2
  4. WO1?
    In the British Army?
    How the hell did you ever pass your Education certs?

5. EFP was easy back in the day!!!!

6. 2CS?

REME, perchance?

7. I would like to think you have already, but if not get in touch with Combat Stress is here to support veterans' mental health | Combat Stress

I'm sure they would provide some help/support, even if you are being treated by someone else.

8. @ the OP, correct me if I'm wrong, but you're on 20% WPS, therefore the traumatic events occurred before 2005.

So for at least 6 years you carried on working, taking a wage and I'm guessing you were promoted in that period - where was the disability then?

It's not like you've lost limbs and can't actually do certain work. 20% is more than fair, you've got to crack on and learn to live with it. Being arsey at work is a reflection of your personality, not PTSD.

• Like Like x 9
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  9. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

Dingerr, have you ever thought of retraining as a counselor?

• Funny Funny x 16
  10. That's right, you go all Elevenerife on him!

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Why does PTSD still have a stigma in the Army?? Why can victims not receive correct disability??

Victims? If you are a victim then something was inflicted upon you. Surely you are a sufferer not a victim, I am not a victim of marriage but a sufferer. Also with tinnitus, not inflicted in one go but damage built up over years a lot like marriage.

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Obviously not knowing your history or what previous help you have had but I suffered PTSD whilst serving back in 94/95. At the time PTSD was a relative unknown but with the usual stigma attached. But I was lucky in that my mates realized that outbursts and things being smashed in my room was a good combat indicator to get help considering they knew what had happened to me. Straight off to CMH in Aldershot with the Psych and eventually I was "cured". Well to be honest I don't think you ever are but get the help that is owed to you. Combat Stress is a good starter although half the organisations when it happened to me were not around.
    But looking at your question I don't think there is a stigma now, especially with Afghanistan etc highlighting the issue and from previous operations but it maybe due to the fact a lot of people "claim" it so dare I say it, along with genuine cases the system is overworked and understaffed. The trouble is now that we are not on a operational footing compared to a couple of years ago the immediate effects during those times are gone and its now a case of rehabilitation for those that suffered physical injuries but the mental sometimes manifests themselves much later on.

• Informative Informative x 2
  13. Not since I received top level compensation.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

Just for shits & giggles?

• Like Like x 1