Why does it feel so good to be a POM

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by Hairy_T_Towel_Holder, Apr 14, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Have you at anytime in your life said " I wish I was a Planty". Well I belive that 90% of knockers out their, irrispective of thier trade and rank have at one time stated this fact. Well have ya?.................Yes you have, havnt you. :lol:

2. I would rather be a Gwarr than a Pom :wink:

3. no fella i have not................................ ever, ever, ever 8O 8O 8O 8O

ps this forum does not have spellcheck so please read before submitting, as the rest of the corps does not need any more ammo to prove that planties are THICK :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

4. I started off in a knocker trade then 2 months into my course retraded. Best decision I made. A couple of years later we were in Kosovo on a winter tour. I was tasked to fill some hesco with my LWT. The knockers levelling and compacting the fill were wearing full robin hood outfit, 95 trs, goretex trs, norgie shirt, softie, 95 jacket, goretex jacket, shamagh, deputy dawg hat, artic mitts and pro boots and they were still cold! I, on the other hand was in y light wheelie in tropic trs and a t shirt!! I opened the door rather than turned the heater down. One of the knockers was on my orignal course and said he wished he'd retraded!
    I've let knockers and tankies have a go at operating plant and they have all said two things: it's fun but it is definatly harder than it looks.

5. get to feck.....................lever up.......................lever down.................................pass the euchre pack to the left :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

6. Monkey up, monkey down. Get the orange poles out!!
    Planties do have a bit more responsibility than a fair few knockers. A young plantie can come straight of his course and be tasked with digging in a battalion. He/she will be on their own, responsibile for digging the trenches and maintaining their wagon with no one who can advise them. A knocker straight of their course will be put in a section with a senior LCpl or Cpl as their section commander, a minimum of one other LCpls and 5 or 6 other guys to point them in the right direction if they are screwing something up.
    If being a plantie is so easy why did we get T pay as full screws and knockers didn't?

7. SPARKIES did when i joined but it went soon after, the reason you lot got t-pay was to make you feel better about yourselves & in the old days the full screws needed it to buy more pies 8O :lol: 8O :lol: 8O :lol: 8O :lol:

8. The fat plantie thing is getting to be a thing of the past. If your were in J** R***'s troop you certainly weren't going to be fat for any length of time. There are a few fat boys still out there though.
    No response about planties having to be more responsible though....

9. dependant on the situation i feel regarding the responsibilty, i was in charge of plenty of trade/knocker tasks as a spr but i think that a lot of that is also down to the individual because i would not trust half the idots that we now get in fd tp's & am sure that it must be the same for you "mud muppets".

having done 4+ years in province i will grant you that young planties did often have tasks thrust upon them especially during marching season, as to fd sqn's nowadays well its been 6 years since i was in a proper fd sqn so i cannot quote fairly regarding planties in that situation :D :D :D :D

10. Too true about responsibility levels nowadays. As a class one plantie you are allowed to run a small site, even as a sapper but because there is a quick turn around now for getting your class one I'm not sure if some of the guys have enough experiance. On my class one we had a mixture of guys who had a fair bit of experiance and had waited 3 years to get on the course and some guys who had waited a little over a year and it showed quite a bit. What doesn't help is that in Bosnia/Kosovo you could go off to do a small job with only a few of you and you didn't have to worry so much about security and in Iraq you can't. 6 months sitting in Shibah filling hesco doesn't lead to versility. I've been lucky enough to be involved in pretty much every major job going on every tour I've been on so had quite a bit of experiance when I went on my class one. I've done knockering, spent a year in an armoured troop and even worked in sigs troop when they were short of 432 drivers so I've got around a bit.

11. You mean they moved you on a bit??
    :lol: :twisted: :lol:

12. A Planty can put his hand to any trade in the engineers, seen it many a time, but try asking a knocker to do something as simple as compact with a tv1200 and they s**t themselves!!!!! Even had an RAF Harrier pilot in Afghanistan ask to use my grader, wish i bloody had not let him, ruined a perfectly good piece of ground!!!!!!!!!

Moral of the story?

Plant Op's are the true Jedi's!

13. ruined a perfectly good piece of ground!!!!!!!!! so just what would have happened once a "mud muppet" had gotten hold of it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

never met a planty yet that has understood a thumb knot let alone any of the more advanced knots that us fielies have to master 8O 8O 8O 8O

14. That'll be why on a NEB dem there was only two B1 knockers, myself and a driver! The fieldies can to us asking questions!! Our solution was to wrap a shi'ite load of barmines around the I beams and blow them, our reasoning behind this was it was a hasty dem, as we had to get the battlegroup across then blow it ASAP. Unfortantly Ollie O******, the knocker safety WO2 didn't see it like that so we had to do it properly!

15. was that ollie o*****n who went onto be rsm at gib bks, top bloke if it was. :D :D :D :D