Why does everyone hate army chefs?

terroratthepicnic

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I always gave as good as I got. It was always great saying it was nice and warm in the kitchen when the lads were freezing their tits of on the tank park. Banter pure and simple, I never had a problem with any of the lads and at times where it was only 'one sausage', I used to explain why and generally they were OK with that.

You would always get the one chopper though, usually a pad on guard duty, who would get told to sit down and shut up.

The_Snail

ADC
RIP
Jarrod how did you cope in a civie job being asked if you got issued with a potato peeler instead of a gun etc?

Jarrod how did you cope in a civie job being asked if you got issued with a potato peeler instead of a gun etc?
B and Macca, the two chefs at my old TA Sqn simply responded with physical violence when nobody was looking.

They might have been borderline psychotic but the scran was top notch. We never could figure out how many families B had.

Last edited:
As a crow I used to volunteer for working with the chefs on Exercise, we never did an exercise during warm weather so it was warm, there was a hot brew on the go all the time and an egg banjo at the drop of a fish slice.
Cookhouse/cook tent was always the first place I'd look on exercise to find a certain RQMS and QM of my acquaintance...rarely failed to find them inside with a brew in hand.

:)

Rodney2q

why does everyone outside and in the army hate army chefs?
The state of the food.

The attitude to their job and the people who eat their offerings.

The bawsache of trying to get scran served after 6pm in the "24 hour" cookhouse.

The minging state of people who're supposed to have passed food hygiene courses.

The assumption of authority three levels above their actual rank on the grounds of knowing how an egg works.

The food.

Actually, Army cooks are like women. When you get a good one, they're excellent and make a massive contribution to the enjoyment of life. The other sort make you want to commit murder.

Strangely Gray

Old-Salt
Technical question, will any chip served out on a range, exercise area, or otherwise outdoors be soggy, or is there a process of soggification?

Thetford battle camp as a sprog did a fine line in shepherds pie, peas custard and almost Apple crumble all in the same mess tin with two minutes to eat it including sluicing the mess tin.

On the plus side a chef in Tomaslavgrad Op Grapple two did a stir fry which was exceptional, I would have shook his hand if I knew where it had been.

I can't recall ever having had a bad breakfast, one sausage or not.

Seeking Enlightenment by looking up my ARRSE

I never ceased to be amazed at the quality of stuff produced under whatever conditions thrown at the ACC, it was the poorer quality of stuff often produced under good conditions ie in camp, with all the facilities etc.... Lots was down to master cook or whatever he was called and how imaginative he was. Usually amazing on ops or ex, or maybe I was just tired and hungry! Always appreciated though......:wink: So no hatred here, the whining wankers.

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
I never ceased to be amazed at the quality of stuff produced under whatever conditions thrown at the ACC, it was the poorer quality of stuff often produced under good conditions ie in camp, with all the facilities etc.... Lots was down to master cook or whatever he was called and how imaginative he was. Usually amazing on ops or ex, or maybe I was just tired and hungry! Always appreciated though......:wink: So no hatred here, the whining *******.
Grapple 7 in Dalma warehouse, King Chip called a parade.

'No orderly sergeants in my cookhouse. It's mine and my responsibility to you, so I will be in my office at every meal. If you have a problem with MY food, you pick up your fcuking plate and you come and see me and we'll sort it.'

Food was always exceptionally good.

well I was fortunate enough to have been in when the ACC were operating, Top lads on exercise, never failing to have a full english in the morning and a drop of hot water from the sawyer for shaving,their only downside was that they all seemed to be raging alchoholics.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
they all seemed to be raging alchoholics.
What do you expect when virtually every function was paid in alcohol as well as cash, plus the BBQs that we were invited to cook at for coys/sqns etc?? I'm just surprised that I still have a functioning liver :D

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Blogg

LE
You mean apart from being flattened out by Salmonella for nearly two weeks along with 30+ others?

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
You mean apart from being flattened out by Salmonella for nearly two weeks along with 30+ others?
Never eat Salmon, that could be a viz top tip. I've never eaten salmon and avoided salmonella all my life.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

My experience of Army Chefs has always been tip top. Amazed how they could muster decent food out of seemingly basic/bland ingredients, especially in the field.
I remember once going in to the kitchens to ask Chef what was for dinner
"Meat Curry, Sir"
"What kind of meat?"
He produced this massive tin with a white label on it that simply say MEAT.

Latest Threads