Why does everyone hate army chefs?

Hello!

I was wondering if anyone could answer the eternal question why does everyone outside and in the army hate army chefs? Fair enough in the 6 years I served I burnt lots of things and ate the contents of peoples packed lunchs before sending them out so I guess this is why we are disliked. But that never stopped you from waking me from my pit at 3 am for more coffee for the guard room or egg banjos!

However I have since left the army (2002) and since then I obviously get asked what I did for my old jobs when I tell them I was a army chef I get laughed at and called a wanker or steven segal from under siege! im starting to think I would get more respect telling people I was Jimmy Savilles PA for 6 years.

has anyone else had this experience or is there a less popular trade?

The Army has Chefs? What a novel idea..........................It will never catch on though.

I suspect @jarrod248 will be along soon to help you with your question...

If you can't wait just PM @Joker62 who is also good with these tricky questions.

Hope that helps.

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
OI!!! ONE FUCKIN' SAUSAGE!!!

I've always had great respect for Army Chefs, but that has never stopped me taking the piss.

swaite78,
I think you will find that most squaddies appreciate the quality of the food produced by the miltary Chefs (apart from you), they just wouldn't tell you!
It's more likely to be a bit of banter from squaddies and a lack of understanding from civvies.

Get the brews on!

If it is of any help to the Op the crab and fishead cooks all get the piss taken on a very regular basis.

I've always had great respect for Army Chefs, but that has never stopped me taking the piss.
Has swaite78 been pissing in the Tea Bomb again?

yes I miss the banter actually it was pretty fun. although the time I came back from leave couldn't be bothered with work and threw paprika in left over brown stew and served it as gulash to the officers mess didn't raise many smiles.infact I had to throw the comments book into the compacter as all 30 had written in it... 1 bad comment meant extras:]

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
I thought the Army had made all the Army cooks redundant?

imagine you were the hungry soldier the other side of the hotplate, now imagine how you'd feel being spoken to the way some of your ex colleagues did? also eat the scoff that's been under the hot lamps for 1 1/2 hours (yes it's against food hygiene and nobody ever breaks the rules at all do they), there are no chips/mash/recognisable veg to go with it.
imagine you are the lad who's 35 seconds late and has to go hungry back out on the gate in 15 minutes cos 'rules is rules innit'

want any more examples?

actually when I was a sprog everyone took the piss out of the chefs but nobody hated them as they cooked food with individual ingredients

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
actually when I was a sprog everyone took the piss out of the chefs but nobody hated them as they cooked food with individual ingredients
Hahahahahaha, individual ingredients :D except for the stuff that came in boxes from the freezer like pies and pasties, burgers, sausages etc, in other words, most of the lunch menu apart from the stuff made up from breakfast leftovers :D

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

theoriginalphantom chefs eat last so we had whats left which was normally irish stew or some other crap:] and the lad whos late if you let him eat someone else would be later and so on give a squaddie a inch he would take a mile. saying that I cant imagine turning someone away for food if there that late.

I remember cooking on excerise in Germany keeping myself a pie back some idiot came in 15mins late no food left atall turned away so he decided to steal my food so I went hungry after cooking from stupid oclock in a bastard tent for hours haha

The_Snail

ADC
RIP
Hahahahahaha, individual ingredients :D except for the stuff that came in boxes from the freezer like pies and pasties, burgers, sausages etc, in other words, most of the lunch menu apart from the stuff made up from breakfast leftovers :D

Nasi Goreng.

Oh, and I married an Army Chef so am not allowed to comment.

I never had any gripes with ACC, on the whole they did a good job. I always found it was local civvies who were shite/jobsworths.

As for less popular trades may I suggest the good ol' RMP?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Nasi Goreng.

Oh, and I married an Army Chef so am not allowed to comment.
Not just Nasi, but Quiche, Sausage Casserole, Egg Beanos etc.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I remember cooking on excerise in Germany keeping myself a pie back some idiot came in 15mins late no food left atall turned away so he decided to steal my food so I went hungry after cooking from stupid oclock in a bastard tent for hours haha
Come off it, NO chefs go hungry, how can we when we're in charge of the bloody food. Old matey could've had the gnarly pie, I'd have had a steak instead!!

theoriginalphantom chefs eat last so we had whats left which was normally irish stew or some other crap:] and the lad whos late if you let him eat someone else would be later and so on give a squaddie a inch he would take a mile. saying that I cant imagine turning someone away for food if there that late.

I've seen the first one happen on numerous occasions, I didn't mean to imply that you'd done any of those things. it's like any trade, you'll all get tarred with the same brush, everyone remembers the cnut that would refuse people food cos they were late cos they were on duty, the sort of person who'd kick up a fuss about being duty chef so he should be front of the queue in the guardroom to sign out the keys etc (don't mind us dealing with a fucking suspicious object and that twat that was drink driving all around Tidworth camp) still, it was nice to see his face when he realised he was chopsing off while the GSM was behind him... ahh christmas duties, what fun.

As a crow I used to volunteer for working with the chefs on Exercise, we never did an exercise during warm weather so it was warm, there was a hot brew on the go all the time and an egg banjo at the drop of a fish slice. Also no stagging on either,

Latest Threads