Why does an ex-RM Commando Paul Farthing feel it's important his staff should be evacuated?

My interest is in former UK local staff. As for the other (reportedly) 15K, I suppose all those judges and NGO employees should have joined up in the ANA while it was collapsing.
Would you have put some combat boots high on if it was the UK?

My interest is in former UK local staff. As for the other (reportedly) 15K, I suppose all those judges and NGO employees should have joined up in the ANA while it was collapsing.
Nearly 40 countries used locals, how many came to help?

It was an absolute shambles, not just the NEO part but also the embassy evacuation which preceded it.
We know who to blame for that don't we? :?

Blank Looks Matter -2.png

Nearly 40 countries used locals, how many came to help?
Sorry, I'm not going to waste my time looking up every country which had a much smaller and shorter-term involvement in Afghanistan (and in some cases far less kinetic) and doesn't have a strategic air transport capability. If you weren't aware that the UK was a major long term player in that conflict there isn't much point trying to explain.

FWIW, I happen to know that both Albania and Kosovo have been accepting refugees while they are being processed for travel to the US.

Seadog

ADC
I'm just totally amazed at the 'whistleblower' being quoted chapter and verse.

A 25 year old graduate (he looks like a schoolboy),working at the FCO,given credibility ?

Assume he took a gap year, Uni at 19, Degree course 3-4 years,22-23 when he starts at the FCO, been working from home for the best part of 2 years, comes back to the office just in time for the withdrawl from Afghanistan in September. No experience of a major crisis situation, chaotic and finds out he can't cope, bins it in September,then decides to 'blow the whistle' on a situation he knows very little about !
I'm reminded of the young submariner who had been in the RN all week. He blew a whistle on stuff he knew Sweet FA about.

His 'report' to the Media was sometimes painful, other times hilarious. Like the script for 'Vigil'.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Only UK staff. We didn't employ 150000, every chance tried their luck.
Maybe if they had fought... Just saying

As discussed in excruciating detail in the Afghan thread, how can you fight when you can't operate maintain and support your own equipment? Despite all the billions of materiel provided to the ANA, the US awarded all the maintenance and support contracts to its own corporations, so no Afghan Air Mechs, no Afghan Spanner Monkeys, bugger all in the way of techs of any sort, they could not sustain themselves.

And as for not fighting the ANA and ANP suffered horrendous losses across the conflict. Almost 10 times higher than the combined total of NATO and outside contractors. (67-70,000 killed, compared to 3,500+ NATO & 4,000 Contractors)

WhiteCrane

Old-Salt
I watched some of that this afternoon. Don’t you just love to see a bunch of (mainly) sanctimonious, smug, Politically driven MPs, blessed with hindsight, giving the Foreign Office and the Government a hard time for what appeared to me to be a bloody decent effort, considering how the Yanks pulled the rug from under our feet so quickly.
I’m sure the likes of Chris Bryant and those sneering Labour and SNP MPs I have never heard of, would have made a much better go of it, if only they had been in power at the time!
They were never going to be able to either save everyone and keep the UK population happy about fears over both immigration and terrorism!

No, it was this pair of cnuts,
View attachment 621008
About to go off and lather each other up by the look of it.
Bush and Blair got us into Afghanistan, no mistake, but they should have gotten us out when the so-called architect of 9-11, Bin Laudin, was found in Pakistan. They didn't. No credit to them, and you can flail their backs with a scourge to your heart's content.

Biden wanted to end the "Forever War" as he called it, which was a good thing. Unfortunately, he did not like the arrangements that had been negotiated by President Trump while he was in office, so he did(?) it his way (I'm such a hard negotiator and I know everything there is to know about Foreign Affairs) and made a shambles of the withdrawal 1. He closed Bagram AFB in July and relied on the Kabul International Airport for flights in and out of Afghanistan; 2. Picked the date of 9-11 to perform the scuttle; 3. Didn't inform his NATO allies beforehand that he was going to do a runner until it was already happening; 4. And said Fcuk You to the Afghan allies who were working with us during the last 20 years, and 5. left behind at least 10,000 American citizens who couldn't get to Kabul for the last flights. That's all Shitty Joe's fault. Every time I watch the footage of that man falling from the C-17 as it takes off, I think, "Joe, you cnut. This is your Saigon moment with helicopters leaving the roof of the US Embassy, except this time it was USAF C-17s. You'll be forever remembered for that." (And then I wonder why it wasn't Biden falling from that plane?)

Hannity -4.jpg
Tucker -1.JPG

Bush and Blair got us into Afghanistan, no mistake, but they should have gotten us out when the so-called architect of 9-11, Bin Laudin, was found in Pakistan. They didn't. No credit to them, and you can flail their backs with a scourge to your heart's content.
A pedant writes 'It was Obama and Cameron (two just as big bozos) in power when Bin Laden was given the good news by ST-6.'

Last edited:
I'm just totally amazed at the 'whistleblower' being quoted chapter and verse.

A 25 year old graduate (he looks like a schoolboy),working at the FCO,given credibility ?

Assume he took a gap year, Uni at 19, Degree course 3-4 years,22-23 when he starts at the FCO, been working from home for the best part of 2 years, comes back to the office just in time for the withdrawl from Afghanistan in September. No experience of a major crisis situation, chaotic and finds out he can't cope, bins it in September,then decides to 'blow the whistle' on a situation he knows very little about !
I'm happy to believe that his observations about Farthing are accurate though.

Slime

LE
I've worked with fast-streamers. Some are excellent but the quality is variable and, in some cases, their academic intelligence isn't a substitute for their lack of experience (or for their upper middle class attitudes, IMHO).
The bloke does look about 12 and, based on his 'report' takes himself very, very seriously.

Too seriously :)
He estimates that the U.K. only managed to help 5% of an estimated 150,000 people asking for help.
And, says this after the U.K. evacuated 15,000 people.

The other side of the medal as we say here in France. A balanced analysis from one of our own.

The other side of the medal as we say here in France. A balanced analysis from one of our own.

Thanks, quite a long read but from an always well informed and thoughtful source. The point is well made that, for example, enforcing a shift system in a crisis operation is not [edit: necessarily] merely for woke reasons of “work-life balance”.

Last edited:

syrup

LE
Too seriously :)
He estimates that the U.K. only managed to help 5% of an estimated 150,000 people asking for help.
And, says this after the U.K. evacuated 15,000 people.

Well there was all those people waving badly photocopied sheets of paper to prove they had the right to travel at the main gate.

Point is of all those people Farthing actually didn't have to do anything never mind the feet stamping tantrums.
He would probably have been a bigger hero to his fans if he'd stayed behind to look after his pets and staff

Last edited:

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
I am still mildly irritated, at the level of rustling my broadsheet, of all the 'We let down the people who supported us' rhetoric.

It is 'their' country, and those people were happy to be very well rewarded at the time. I'm still not convinced we had any responsibility to exfil them when it all went to sh1t.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
As discussed in excruciating detail in the Afghan thread, how can you fight when you can't operate maintain and support your own equipment? Despite all the billions of materiel provided to the ANA, the US awarded all the maintenance and support contracts to its own corporations, so no Afghan Air Mechs, no Afghan Spanner Monkeys, bugger all in the way of techs of any sort, they could not sustain themselves.

And as for not fighting the ANA and ANP suffered horrendous losses across the conflict. Almost 10 times higher than the combined total of NATO and outside contractors. (67-70,000 killed, compared to 3,500+ NATO & 4,000 Contractors)

They may have suffered higher losses, but that's only because from having watched them first hand during contact, they showed absolutely zero ******* common sense, training or a willingness to dodge bullets. Allah wills it has a lot to answer for and the death toll should in my opinion be balanced against the fact they didn't give a **** about death. I remember watching one of them stabbing at an IED with his knife for fucksake as he tried to dig it out and we're all shouting at him to stop it.

Every time I watch the footage of that man falling from the C-17 as it takes off, I think, "Joe, you cnut. This is your Saigon moment with helicopters leaving the roof of the US Embassy, except this time it was USAF C-17s. You'll be forever remembered for that." (And then I wonder why it wasn't Biden falling from that plane?)

No-one's saying the withdraw wasn't a total ******* cluster, but I don't blame anyone other than the silly cnuts who decided to hang on to the side of a plane. All fighting aged males, loyalty non-existent and abandoning families to save their own skins. Ah yes, that's the Afghan I knew.

On a side note, all the hullabaloo over 'terps being brought back. It's worth remembering that these people weren't all some saintly angels who helped us in our time of need. Often when they were translating to the village elder or whoever's house or field you'd just fucked up, they would be clearly making their own personal demands on them. At one point we figured out that ours was in effect telling these people he was in charge and taking a percentage of the money we used to give as damage payments on the ground, after we'd turned our backs.

We only found out as we got another 'terp put in with his who was a British citizen, worked in the City and came back over to do his duty and also as it would get permission from the father of his girlfriend to marry her (also an Afghan national). He promptly burst this guy to the OC as being a dodgy bastard.

My sympathy is limited.

Last edited:

Latest Threads