Why does an ex-RM Commando Paul Farthing feel it's important his staff should be evacuated?

Call me a skeptic, but I've been listening to this guy on the news ranting and raving to hold Biden and BJ to account for the collapse of Afghanistan and how his staff working at an NGO should be evacuated?

I was under the impression selected Afghan nationals who worked with coalition forces where under the stringent criteria to be evacuated under fear of reprisals, not some fellows who worked at a charity caring for dogs...

It's very nice of him to refuse to leave the country unless his chums he work with go with but I don't see NATO gving a flying toss about some unendorsed charity caring for animals

I don't see why he and his mates should tick any boxes for a chartered flight to the UK let alone anywhere whether he served a tour or not, after all, showing off you did a tour with the UK in an overrun Taliban country I'd now be shitting myself to get out as well

IQ4EB2UJNBEAHPCWCOOHBMN2QY.jpg

Last edited:
He’s coming across as self important. It’s his choice to stay there if he refuses to accept evacuation.

He’s coming across as self important. It’s his choice to stay there if he refuses to accept evacuation.
I rate him for not bolting it himself because frankly once forces have withdrawn if the Taliban do find any ex-service personnel I imagine they'll be desiring to carve his balls off so forget being self important, more so stupid!

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Also, Mods, already covered to some extent here : https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/nowzad-update.305866/#post-10940013

To my mind ,what Sgt Farthing is doing is playing the same game the politicians have played for decades: using the power of the 24 hour rolling news media to achieve his goal.

:shrug: can't blame the man for turning the tables on 'the Great and Good ' (their self-description,not mine)

Also, Mods, already covered to some extent here : https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/nowzad-update.305866/#post-10940013

To my mind ,what Sgt Farthing is doing is playing the same game the politicians have played for decades: using the power of the 24 hour rolling news media to achieve his goal.

:shrug: can't blame the man for turning the tables on 'the Great and Good ' (their self-description,not mine)
That's Mr. Farthing now, I still don't think he deserves anymore appraisal than any one else

I don't see what his goal is otherwise than to bask in media twilight and make his name known, I still think he's a twat for opting to stay behind, it's like a Para T-Shirt in a pub in Northern Ireland where you know that some people are still upset from the period of the troubles and op banner

Trouble is that the UK have to take into account in the region of 7000 people. He’s going to find himself talking to an empty space and the UK will be aware there is a possibility of leaving people behind. They will be doing their best to ensure that doesn’t happen, but they will also ensure their arse is covered when it happens.

conjurer

Old-Salt
He exemplifies perfectly cynophilist traits with dogged determination. Sticking up for his staff also shows he is no lapdog. I sincerely hope he isn’t hounded out from Afghanistan. If only the government would throw him a bone or take steps to keep him on a short leash. Hopefully he has a woof over his head and can keep out of the public eye; clearly this is at odds with what he is trying to achieve but he needs to think how to bow wow out of the situation he has got himself into.

“Some days you’re the dog; some days you’re the hydrant.”

Dalef65

Old-Salt
He exemplifies perfectly cynophilist traits with dogged determination. Sticking up for his staff also shows he is no lapdog. I sincerely hope he isn’t hounded out from Afghanistan. If only the government would throw him a bone or take steps to keep him on a short leash. Hopefully he has a woof over his head and can keep out of the public eye; clearly this is at odds with what he is trying to achieve but he needs to think how to bow wow out of the situation he has got himself into.

Your post has more bark than bite, I feel.

You should have simply said, if he can't stand the heat he should get out of the kennel.
It's a dog's life.

Yokel

LE
Would the Taliban see having worked for a Westerner as a reason to target the staff? How you answer this question dictates whether or not you feel Mr Farthing's request is reasonable.

mess pres

Old-Salt
He is doing the right thing as per his conscience.
I suspect he wants to be able to look at him self in the mirror and come away with a degree of honour.
I think he is very brave.

Stan_Deesey

Old-Salt

Conjurer, I´ve given you an ´Informative´, because I didn´t know what cynophilist meant, and had to look it up. (The things one learns from reading Arrse! :) )

If there was a ´Groan´ button though, I would have awarded you one for the rest of your post, especially for this:

´Hopefully he has a woof over his head´.

Grrrr! =-|

Last edited:
Fixed.
And one suspects the Taliban may also be reading the internet, and him admitting his ex military credentials is a pretty dumb thing to do, under the circumstance.
This is what I am thinking. If he kept it quiet then his charity out there could of either carried on or at least stop and the people that work there may not be under any danger. Because he has banged on all the time he has messed up.

Stan_Deesey

Old-Salt
Would the Taliban see having worked for a Westerner as a reason to target the staff? How you answer this question dictates whether or not you feel Mr Farthing's request is reasonable.

I was wondering about this myself. I caught the last of his rant on R4 news today, and wondered who he was to be calling the evacuation effort a fiasco.

If he can´t get them out, then is he prepared to stay with them, and carry on normal jogging? Presumably this would necessitate him converting to Islam, and buckling down under the new Taliban order, but they might let him carry on with his important work if he cooperates.

mess pres

Old-Salt
This is what I am thinking. If he kept it quiet then his charity out there could of either carried on or at least stop and the people that work there may not be under any danger. Because he has banged on all the time he has messed up.
He has too much of a public profile already. Prior to this week I was not aware he was in Afghanistan, assuming he would be running things remotely and visiting occasionally.

Latest Threads