Why do you think yanks post here?

I'm just curious. I've read many posts here. I truly value an outside view of my country and the world with the closest country I can relate to. I have family roots that trace to Wales and that may be part of it.

I enjoy reading views of the US for good or for bad and I try not to take negative comments personally. After all, I am the foreigner here. Although I do often see a lot of 1 sentence replies that offer neither insight or perspective but are simply to flame or troll.

In addition to that, I have served 14 years in the US military so tend to be at home with military groups and understand the thinking.

I'm curious why you all think that many Americans come here to read and post on your forums.

Because they're all ex-SF / combat vets / snipers and its just natural progression, I presume, to want to bother brits about it.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I do know you are one of the Chosen Few - you have Welsh roots !! Lucky, lucky you. It is truly God's Country - have you been to visit it yet ?

Possibly because under all the banter a lot of sense is talked.

lsquared said:
I don't know the answer to your question, but I do know you are one of the Chosen Few - you have Welsh roots !! Lucky, lucky you. It is truly God's Country - have you been to visit it yet ?
I have a 7 month old son. I plan to take him there as soon as he is old enough. I hear it's a beautiful place.

I think the area my relatives are from is Knighton (sp?). It's tough as an American you really have no sense of "self". You're pretty much a little bit of everything and usually all of nothing except American.

ghost_us said:
lsquared said:
I have a 7 month old son. I plan to take him there as soon as he is old enough. I hear it's a beautiful place.

I think the area my relatives are from is Knighton (sp?). It's tough as an American you really have no sense of "self". You're pretty much a little bit of everything and usually all of nothing except American.
Knighton, right next door to Shropshire, another one of Gods own countries and yes you'll love it, Don't talk about it, visit it.

ghost_us said:
I'm curious why you all think that many Americans come here to read and post on your forums.

Because they enjoy being abused by ignorant mongs who know fcuk all about fcuk all. Also occasionally they get to exchange views with somebody who knows what they are talking about.

But mainly its to allow the good points of their character and Nation to be thrown into sharp relief by some slobbering ‘Amerika is Evil’, Islamofascists apologist, whose ancestors were not allowed on to the Mayflower being obvious genetic cul-de-sacs.

The UK having exported the majority of its most successful bloodlines now has to rely on these creatures to fill in the gaps; occasionally they get a real treat of being entertained by a nice foreign Gentleman with impeccable anti Amerikan credentials and the whole thing is filmed for TV!

Huzzah!

God save the Queen!

Because on the whole the American like and repect us though our common heritege, The also i think like our sense of humour and our opinoins!

Most yanks like most brits are ok type of folks, But ARRSE has and does attract some yanks who realy are not a great advert for the states! These can bring out the worst in us also.

i think that most Arrser's Know also that the American Goverment represnts the views of the people about as much as Bliar does for us.

perhaps we can get togother and have TB and GWB both shipped off to China? lets let them suffer for a bit!

armchair_jihad said:
ghost_us said:

Because they enjoy being abused by ignorant mongs who know fcuk all about fcuk all. Also occasionally they get to exchange views with somebody who knows what they are talking about.

But mainly its to allow the good points of their character and Nation to be thrown into sharp relief by some slobbering ‘Amerika is Evil’, Islamofascists apologist, whose ancestors were not allowed on to the Mayflower being obvious genetic cul-de-sacs.

The UK having exported the majority of its most successful bloodlines now has to rely on these creatures to fill in the gaps; occasionally they get a real treat of being entertained by a nice foreign Gentleman with impeccable anti Amerikan credentials and the whole thing is filmed for TV!

Huzzah!

God save the Queen!
Well that was a balanced opinion.

Well Armchair it cuts both ways too im sure if i bothered too post on some American forums i would have to endure some English hate mail telling me how i starved the Irish, persecuted the Scots, stole the sheep from the welsh, espically the one with the pretty eye's

not to mention how if it wasnt for the yanks i would be speaking german!

QED there are chods everywhere.!!!!!!

Tazzers said:
Well that was a balanced opinion.
Well balanced it may not be but it was almost a considered one. And it does NOT apply to any of the Celtic Nations, if Ghost_us has Welsh roots then he has a magnificent bedrock for his family to build on.

Bah, most of the anti american stuff is just light-hearted banter or venom aimed at the odd american cretin/troll who rocks up. Watch, we can - and are - just as vicious to/about our own. 8)

septics, you gotta love the crazy little colonials, individually they are great human beings, collectivly, ARGHH!!! and I do think they are a little too arragant, with a touch of a cavalier attitude towards there conduct in iraq/afganistan/anywhere they're deployed, In iraq they are making all the mistakes that the british army made in northern ireland in the early days and although the british sector of iraq is perhaps not as volitile as the american one, I firmly believe that the shoot, smile, shoot policy of the british has gone a long way to us being able to pull out sooner than our colonial cousins.

I would be interested in Ghost_us' opinion on this

ghost_us said:
I'm just curious. I've read many posts here. I truly value an outside view of my country and the world with the closest country I can relate to. I have family roots that trace to Wales and that may be part of it.

I enjoy reading views of the US for good or for bad and I try not to take negative comments personally. After all, I am the foreigner here. Although I do often see a lot of 1 sentence replies that offer neither insight or perspective but are simply to flame or troll.

In addition to that, I have served 14 years in the US military so tend to be at home with military groups and understand the thinking.

So you have welsh roots what part of wales did your family come from .
Wales is a lovely place

:? Welsh roots are you sure? 8O 8O makes a change

its just that any American i have met usually claims to be irish once he hears my accent
the claims is usually someone way back when once drank some guiness and therefore that makes them irish :twisted:

the yanks come here to seewhat we think of Iraq/afghan situation slag off kit (ours and theirs) slag off bush and we slag off tony and the B lair witch project (mrs B liar)
And see what support they can drum up for the old iran war idea IMHO

My view for whats its worth

celticwarrior3551 said:
septics, you gotta love the crazy little colonials, individually they are great human beings, collectivly, ARGHH!!! and I do think they are a little too arragant, with a touch of a cavalier attitude towards there conduct in iraq/afganistan/anywhere they're deployed, In iraq they are making all the mistakes that the british army made in northern ireland in the early days and although the british sector of iraq is perhaps not as volitile as the american one, I firmly believe that the shoot, smile, shoot policy of the british has gone a long way to us being able to pull out sooner than our colonial cousins.

I would be interested in Ghost_us' opinion on this
First, forgive my ADD'ish fleeting introspective statements. I know they tend to flit from topic to topic.

One has to remember, an American isn't a specific person from a specific place. America is like a microcosm of the world in it's current state with everyone getting along (with the obligatory shooting or stabbing every now and then :)

For the most part I do think your right. Many Americans still adopt the John Wayne attitude of run in guns-o-blazing when it comes to a mob mentality. Individually I believe that the US feeds more people in the world than any other country, sends more money to poorer nations, forgives more debt than some countries entire GNP, and really does try to make things better (even if we don't at times).

I do not know where this cowboy attitude originates from. Perhaps it's a throwback from our action hero movie culture. I can't quite put my finger on it.

When I was younger I had that attitude. I am still a little guilty of sporting a cavalier attitude. (I was cavalry however and we tend to have the Robert Duvall, Apocalypse Now attitude bred into us) but then again, from what I've read of Gen. Montgomery he wasn't exactly a humble guy. I guess you need a bit of the stuff when facing an enemy.

What we're learning from Iraq is that not all wars today are fought with guns and tanks. It's a war of vastly different ideologies, millennia old vendettas, and old school public opinion tools mixed with cutting edge communications technology whether it be beheading videos or dancing with the mullah's aerobic videos.

I don't know if I can comment on the British pullout in Iraq as successful or unsuccessful. I don't know what the mission goal was for you guys or that you did or didn't reach it. On one hand I can't say I blame you, on the other I, along with others I talked to, feel a little abandoned. I do know that if England were ever to be attacked, you would have a lot of Americans yelling to come "kick some ass" at your side.

I "think" I know what the US goal was and what the public truly hoped would happen: We look at the countries we went to war with and won, Japan , South Korea, Germany, et al. All very strong economic powers in the world and then the ones we lost, Viet Nam and North Korea who are no better for having won the war(s). If at the very least, these were the views around the dinner table.

Perhaps it was a pipe dream, but to share a life of being whoever you wanted, raising children to never know the fear of death squads roaming the streets, religious freedom, and a life of unlimited potential. This is what Americans truly know that they have, especially if they traveled abroad, and were hoping to instill in Iraq. I know it's an ideological concept, but thats where looking at Japan and Germany come into play.

I've also been on both ends of the American sentiment while abroad. Not everyone hates us.

I served a tour in South Korea back in 86'. I recall being out in the sticks driving past a Korean wedding on an old M113. A rather intoxicated man ran out onto the highway, stopped our APC ala Tiananmen Square, climbed up on our carrier and asked us to share some drink and food.

Another time while in an OP in a town, having locals bringing hot coffee and apples in the morning or people in rural areas bringing food or warmth. They never asked for anything in return, and for their hospitality I still remember and appreciate.

I also had locals in downtown Seoul try to kill me with a broken beer bottle when I was just walking down the street minding my own business doing some shopping.

As far as our foreign policy: From speaking with a lot of the people I know, I think the consensus is that "If we don't put these F*cktards in check, who will". Also, a bit of damned if we do, and damned if we don't. Americans truly believe that the world would have the same attitude towards us if we sat and did nothing.

The biggest question I hear is: Why is it that they can cut peoples heads off or whack babies against trees, or blow up a market full of children and civilians but we're the bad guy for making a bunch of guys get naked and form a pyramid. Hell, that's a Drexel College Frat party on any given Friday night to us.

It seems most of the world is so preoccupied with our behavior, that they are completely ignoring those that would do harm if they could. I don't know or can't say if it is or is not our responsibility to ensure that the world is a better place to live, but it is in everyones best interest.

I think that some attitudes are taken out of context when viewed from outside. What I mean by that is the old "You can't do that to me, I'm an American". This stems from the very freedoms that we have here. I'm sure it's viewed as a truly arrogant statement but you have to understand where it comes from. In a place where the police have to treat you with respect (for the most part, I know Rodney King would beg to differ), but that's the exception and not the rule. Leaders can and sometimes are held accountable, you can participate in any peaceful religion in the world without reprise.

Arrogance is a funny thing and can be looked upon in almost any society. I would argue that Iran or Saudi Arabia is collectively more arrogant a nation than the US. But that's another argument altogether.

I do not think however that the US collectively thinks of itself as above everyone else, just that they are apathetic to everyone else. Everyone here is pretty much wrapped up in themselves and for complicated reasons.

For instance. I work as a Sr. Programmer Analyst at a hospital. I drive roughly 80 minutes to work each way, every day. In that work day, I tend to be there between 9 and 11 hours. (Not that I'm bragging or whining) Just trying to lay some perspective from my viewpoint. I get roughly 2 hours with the wife and kids on weekdays before bedtime.

It just seems that everyone is so busy trying to make ends meet that there is precious little time for anything else and I think that is where the apathy comes from.

Plus, it truly depends on where in the country you are from. A New Yorker has a much more cynical viewpoint or attitude than say someone from Minnesota or Iowa.

All in all, it's our Maverick attitude (in my opinion) that keeps a lot of other countries from screwing around.

ghost_us said:
Shouldn't you be working coal mines in Appalachia? Not everyone can be Italian I guess.

I think primarily two reasons, or at least my reasons;

First military.com and some other US sites have a lot of 'if you ain't with us you're against us', 'liberals are traitors' BS, the stupidity and ignorance of which is just too mind-numbing at times. It's unfortunate because there are some thoughtful posters--conservative, liberal, moderate--whose views you have go through all the static to get to.

Second, it's always nice to see how things are perceived from soldiers coming from a different culture, sometimes it's enlightening and some times it's startling.

Psst:
Anti-Americanism is somewhat of a sport here for some; deal with it and don't be afraid to throw sh*t back when warranted. Between you and me there are many thoughtful and intelligent posters here. For God's sake don't let them know it, it'll go to their heads.

ghost_us said:
It's tough as an American you really have no sense of "self".
Perhaps, but to judge from the demand for green cards, a lot of people seem to think that a big car, cheap petrol & a vibrant economy are adequate compensation :D

PS I understand that Jack daniels, and several other major figures in the history of American whiskey, were Welsh.

you make some interesting observations and i say welcome Ghost.

If you can survive the NAFFI then you will probally hang around and be made welcome