Why do you think the elections in Iraq were so calm?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by KGB_resident, Dec 16, 2005.

1. The insurgency now is too weak

2. Because of effective security measures

3. The insurgents decided to avoid innocent victims

4. The insurgents decided that the political porcess is in their interests too

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.upi.com/InternationalIntelligence/view.php?StoryID=20051215-012214-8488r

2. I think a lot of it is due to the massive security operation; but you can't maintain that level of "lockdown" with a curfew, borders and ports shut, no vehicles permitted to move for more than a couple of days, as folk have to work and need to eat. Once it's relaxed, it'll be normal service again...like the last Iraqi election.
  3. Yes it was suprisingly quiet, but the security operation was huge. I suggest that we wait and see what happens when the results are published on Christmas Day. That is likely to provoke a reaction.
  4. Jesus, they pick their times...
  5. So did He.....imagine being born on Christmas day........He might have waited.
  6. He wasn't:
  7. Because they're all doing their Christmas shopping?

The idea that terrorists/insurgents/whatever have a "democracy-terrorism" switch is rather naiive. If it suits them, they will vote and bomb - as the Republicans did, with their call to "vote early and vote often".
  8. Mogadon in the water supply.

After you with the Bacofoil......
  9. Well if Slim John wuz a terro intent on destruction of Bush's regime. I'd go quite, pretend I wuz dead and beatten, and recruit and train for that day when all the Infidels have gone home.
    Then mayhem. None of this current Mr. Nice Guy, stacks of throat slitting of colabarators and I'd even dig up much luved leader and start a cult of personality for the Hrab Defender of the Faith brutally Slain by the Sons of Saten's Crusaders.
  10. It's probably that the first two elections were viewed by the Sunnis as dealing with US collaboration, whereas this election is to decide who's is going to run the country over a longer period. They feel that they have to have more of a say and they can only do that by turning up and voting.
  11. If the newly elected Iraqi govt tells all foreign forces to leave PDQ then there's no need for the insurgents to go and and get killed, hence it's in their interests to vote. If they don't like the result they can always keep shooting.
  12. I'll go for option 5: "They overslept and missed the whole thing"
  13. It is within the option #1 - They are too weak now.
  14. i work in the G2 cell in the south of the county, and even we dont know why the elections were so quiet.
    may be its because of the cerfews but the general consencus here is that the insurgents are waiting for the results to be processed.

15. The hackers will be queueing up to get into your email account then won't they.