Why do we use Zulu time?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by ashford_old_school, Sep 23, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I mean, I know we conquered half of the world, but why use an African tribe's time? Surely London time would have been better, no?

2. Zulu sounds a fuck lot cooler though, don't you think?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Purple_Flash

Purple_Flash War Hero Moderator

A) Conquerers get to choose which tribe's name to use where and when and however it likes.
    B) London is not accurate enough - London time could be GMT/UT or BST.
    c) It's the Army. Ergo, why should it seem to make sense on many levels? ;-)

• Like Like x 4
  4. Certainly does. Never heard of a bunch of pissed-up cunts and latent homosexuals encouraging a Nig to "Get 'em down, you London Warrior"... Just wouldn't be right.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Get a grip dipshit. I mean if you are just being racist.. Kill yourself...if you are just a bit thick and do not know how zones were divvied up then kill yourself also....what a fooking bone question!!!!

Wah shield up!
    Zulu time is the time taken from the meridien without seasonal adjustments. Hence zulu time is the clock that the whole world ticks by. The central tick tock if you like, particularly maritime, aviation and military.

Wah shield down

6. Same reason there's the token black guy as a extra on the tv, evens the playing field for years if slavery. They are the time masters now!

Who's laughing now eh?!

7. H3

H3 LE

I think it should be dropped and a more up to date angle taken towards finding a new all incompasing phrase ..... I suggest " Tinky Winky " time .. Taxi's book ta !!

8. You shouldn't change tradition,

Is it the hour the Zulus first attacked? Or the hour defence was secured at Rorkes drift?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ahem.

It's the NAAFI. Make some shit up.

I use Zulu time because Baby Jebus told me to. I've been to Greenwich as well, so it must all be true.

• Like Like x 6
  10. Fucking hell, I've just noticed who the OP was.

Is the smell of the Granox getting to you?

Best laugh of the night.

• Like Like x 1
  11. [deploy Wah shield]

It's Zulu time because Zulu is phonetic for Z.

If we had "London" time then that would be Lima time as "London" isn't part of the phonetic alphabet.

[pack away Wah shield]

12. Fucking racist? Go on explain, never served no-mark!!

• Like Like x 1
  13. I make a point of using Zulu whenever anyone asks me the time. Reactions vary.

• Like Like x 4
  14. OK then why Z? Why not T for Time, like H-Hour or D-Day?

And why do the military refer to the 24 hour clock? Have you ever seen a 24hour clock? Cheating bastards use a 12hour clock and make it go round twice.

• Like Like x 6
  15. don't be daft. Just imagine it...

"What's the time Sarg?"
    "1430 T-time"
    Cool, I'll stick the kettle on then..."

• Like Like x 6