Why do we use webbing?

You had ammo in five round strips. You just opened the bolt and slid them straight in from the top, very quick and easy. I imagine it was similar to the eight round clips in the US M1 Garand.
Except Garands PING apparently, (or more precisely, the charger clip goes in and when it comes out it may make a relatively insignificant noise hitting the ground in the middle of a gun battle)
Means it can't be topped up (damn, beaten to it)
Garand
garand.jpg

Lee Enfield
lee enfield.jpg

You had ammo in five round strips. You just opened the bolt and slid them straight in from the top, very quick and easy. I imagine it was similar to the eight round clips in the US M1 Garand.
Not exactly. Besides having to remove the charger once you loaded the rounds it had to be oriented the correct way or you would get rim lock. It probably was the worst bolt gun to use in a high stress situation. Mauser and similar was so much easier. Even the Russians/Soviets had a better system for the internal magazine so you would avoid the issues that plagued the Enfield.

Yawn......rim lock........ never read of any problems in the field.....never head any of the old boys in the Legion complain (and by Christ they could whinge !) - Gun Jesus thinks it might be a 'merican shooter thing

Not exactly. Besides having to remove the charger once you loaded the rounds it had to be oriented the correct way or you would get rim lock. It probably was the worst bolt gun to use in a high stress situation. Mauser and similar was so much easier. Even the Russians/Soviets had a better system for the internal magazine so you would avoid the issues that plagued the Enfield.
There's this concept...it's called 'training'. Loading Lee Enfield charging clips* you loaded them '3 up 2 down**'. Voila! No rim lock! If a 14-year old at a military school could do this, I'm reasonably sure a trained soldier could manage it. I don't think 'plagued' is therefore at all a valid term.

And it took literally no time at all to remove the clip from the bridge, especially compared to all of the other movements in the loading process. Certainly less time than fastening the poxy brass stud on the '37 webbing pouch...I mean, you wouldn't leave a hatch open on a submarine, would you?

* not to mention that, when supplied in a bandolier, they were already in a clip.

** As per diagramme in Post #102, except for some reason 'down' (in the pic) was taught as 'up'.

There's this concept...it's called 'training'. Loading Lee Enfield charging clips* you loaded them '3 up 2 down**'. Voila! No rim lock! If a 14-year old at a military school could do this, I'm reasonably sure a trained soldier could manage it. I don't think 'plagued' is therefore at all a valid term.

And it took literally no time at all to remove the clip from the bridge, especially compared to all of the other movements in the loading process. Certainly less time than fastening the poxy brass stud on the '37 webbing pouch...I mean, you wouldn't leave a hatch open on a submarine, would you?

* not to mention that, when supplied in a bandolier, they were already in a clip.

** As per diagramme in Post #102, except for some reason 'down' (in the pic) was taught as 'up'.
Remove it? Remove it? Unless you've got an empty mag and desperately want 10 in it, at which point you flick the first charger out and then whac k in another one, or if you're reloading with only 5 (e.g. if you've got one or more remaining in the mag or are only putting 5 in) you just slam the bolt on it and it removes itself.

Like this, innit :p

Call this modern tangle of straps webbing? Webbing is heavy canvas that shrinks when wet, and if it’s also sub-zero, which is nearly always, it freezes solid. Bring back the 58 pattern avec large pack....now those were the days.

Actually, just writing that has made me shudder and triggered my PTSD, so good old days or not, the kit was shite, which is why we had to buy our own or heavily modify the issued shite.

I also remember getting back from one particularly unpleasant ‘Banner’ and from the moment we hit barracks, being lambasted for wearing my high leg boots and not wearing boots, shite, DMS avec putties. And don’t get me started on the ‘mark time’ episode that was prompted by.......standby for hideous unsoldierly conduct.....wearing my NI gloves whilst on guard / prowler in Jan.....I can see their point though. That could’ve ended the Regt.

I once got marched off the Square for wearing issue boots.

The lovely new RSM hadn't been made aware of them. By coincidence I'd got the first pair on the unit.

Did he give me a chance to explain? Did I get an apology for my 30 minutes of stupid marching about under a clearly embarrassed Provost Sgt?

Email your answers to

rsmisatwat@reggyduties.********.co.uk

Mmmmmmmm, the Plaid Daddy himself.

@smallbrownprivates, @stoatman has a youtube video where he busts Garand myths such as the reloading and you've already rubbished the ping thing, much like 'don't use the velcro on mag pouches, it's not tactical'
Heh. Velcro on pouches. The whole "somehow nobody noticed you firing 30 rounds of 5.56mm, but OMG that rrrrrriiippp of velcro is gonna give the game away" thing.

.......it was more about the bit before the 'pew pew pew' when you were supposed to be all sneaky-sneaky and fancy a sly mars bar

Heh. Velcro on pouches. The whole "somehow nobody noticed you firing 30 rounds of 5.56mm, but OMG that rrrrrriiippp of velcro is gonna give the game away" thing.
You made me chuckle.
Only time one needs to get into the mag pouch in a hurry is when youre swapping mags on account the one on your rifle is now empty, or close to, as everythings gone kinetic.

[DRIFT]

"The sound of velcro unfastening . . . Mating call of the 1980s" !!

;)

[/DRIFT]

I never had any problem like that in any of the many times I used it, nor have I heard of any of the people I was shooting with, having any issues with it.

Latest Threads