Why do we use webbing?

... bloody spurs.! Its when you are standing chatting with your heels together and then get them crossed. The resultant nosedive is not classy!

There was also the reference to the Indian Army expression "suffering from the dreaded parallels".. caused by the parallel grooves left in the sand by the spurs of the officer being dragged back to his charpoi by his bearers after indulging in too many Choty Pegs...

Not quite the video expected (should have been a black and white pathe thing about dangers of the sun/criticality of solar topi etc etc), however the webbing shown is of an excellent quality , fits well and seems to be very flexible...

Not quite the video expected (should have been a black and white pathe thing about dangers of the sun/criticality of solar topi etc etc), however the webbing shown is of an excellent quality , fits well and seems to be very flexible...
.. I thought so as well!

Ticks a few multi-culti boxes too, or is it perhaps a little too "Rotheram oriented" for local sensibilities?

Being a massive kit pest I have tried chest rigs and assault vests over the years and have always gone back to belt kit. Belt kit give you more flexibility and is ideal for conventional OP's. It might not be ideal for drivers, armoured troops or even in an urban environment but you can work with it. It's easy to don and doff it can be worn with body armour, Imagine having to dig a trench in body armour and having all your ammo and water attached to it, If you have belt kit you can take it off.

ugly

LE
Imagine having to dig a trench in body armour and having all your ammo and water attached to it, If you have belt kit you can take it off.
FFS you'll be taking your webbing off to take a dump next!

John Wayne won all his wars without 24hrs of rations, a poncho roll and entrenching tool.......
Screen Shot 2018-09-29 at 19.17.53.png

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Being nothing but a red-arrse (in context), I have a question for old farts or students of history (possibly both).

In modern-ish times, you don't fcuk about reloading mags in contact (or on a range shoot) unless you absolutely have to. You deploy with full mags, and that's been the doctrine since the SLR/SMG days and of course continues to this day. Mag off, mag on.

Given that the Lee-Enfield had a poxy 5 round mag, was the doctrine to change mags every 5 rounds (and hence need a shitload of small mags in the even more poxy 37-patt ammo pouches), or was the doctrine to field-reload? Or even (don't know if the rifle is capable of this?) breech-load single rounds once your mag was empty?

Yes, I'm a 50 year old NIG :)

Being nothing but a red-arrse (in context), I have a question for old farts or students of history (possibly both).

In modern-ish times, you don't fcuk about reloading mags in contact (or on a range shoot) unless you absolutely have to. You deploy with full mags, and that's been the doctrine since the SLR/SMG days and of course continues to this day. Mag off, mag on.

Given that the Lee-Enfield had a poxy 5 round mag, was the doctrine to change mags every 5 rounds (and hence need a shitload of small mags in the even more poxy 37-patt ammo pouches), or was the doctrine to field-reload? Or even (don't know if the rifle is capable of this?) breech-load single rounds once your mag was empty?

Ask @stoatman also 10 round mag, 5 round stripper clip...

Eh ? LE had 10 round mag. P14/17 only took 5 - although the Yank P17 mag could hold six on account of it - 30-06-being rimless.

Eh ? LE had 10 round mag. P14/17 only took 5 - although the Yank P17 mag could hold six on account of it - 30-06-being rimless.
Ok, so 10rd mag, my mistake. Was doctrine to change mag for a full one, or reload your one-and-only?

'58 pattern 'kidney pouches' hang nowhere near your kidneys.
Cheers MoD, you fecking spakkers.

Old fart and historian here.

I trained on the No 4 ("THE rifle") whilst in the Thatcher Youth in the 70's.

It didn't have a 5 round magazine. It had a 10-round magazine. However you charged the magazine via the top with 5-round clips. It took about the same time to load 5 rounds via the clip as to change an SLR mag. Of course the SLR mag took 20 rounds but, IIRC, the 'unofficial' combat load for the No 4 was 12 in the mag and one up the spout. This dit being given by our SAA WO who was a Royal Norfolk WWII veteran on the Long Service List.

It took a bit longer to load the clips themselves ("3 up 2 down") but they usually came pre-loaded in bandoliers. However my main shooting experience was as part of the shooting team (quite an armful it was for a 14 year old) and most of that ammo was loose ball, so we loaded our own clips.

On the thread about the trials THAT rifle you can see that then it still had an arrangement for charging the magazine in the same way.

Oh and yes you could load single rounds too if necessary.

Old fart and historian here.

I trained on the No 4 ("THE rifle") whilst in the Thatcher Youth in the 70's.

It didn't have a 5 round magazine. It had a 10-round magazine. However you charged the magazine via the top with 5-round clips. It took about the same time to load 5 rounds via the clip as to change an SLR mag. Of course the SLR mag took 20 rounds but, IIRC, the 'unofficial' combat load for the No 4 was 12 in the mag and one up the spout. This dit being given by our SAA WO who was a Royal Norfolk WWII veteran on the Long Service List.

It took a bit longer to load the clips themselves ("3 up 2 down") but they usually came pre-loaded in bandoliers. However my main shooting experience was as part of the shooting team (quite an armful it was for a 14 year old) and most of that ammo was loose ball, so we loaded our own clips.

On the thread about the trials THAT rifle you can see that then it still had an arrangement for charging the magazine in the same way.

Oh and yes you could load single rounds too if necessary.
Cheers!

wearing my NI gloves whilst on guard / prowler in Jan.....I can see their point though. That could’ve ended the Regt.
A bit late to the game but I had one of those moments a long time back whilst on guard one cold and frosty morning in the middle of a Norfolk winter, wearing motorcycle gloves because the RAF at the time still thought woollen gloves were a good idea, frozen stiff (but not in a good way) and suffering sleep deprivation (24 hour guard was 24 hour guard then, H&S?) Armed with Deloris, butt number 474

'ARE YOUR HANDS COLD AIRMAN?' at full volume, 'ARE THOSE GLOVES ISSUE?' A classic line from the SWO, our equivalent of the RSM who had just got out of his nice warm car
'******* freezing sir' said I, 'and no....' with as much bitterness and feeling as I could manage
'oh,' SWO considers his options and decides 'discretion was the better part of valour' if he didn't want his car 'accidentally' scratched to **** whilst I was doing the search, so 'carries on' in the direction of his office

WO Shxxxxxx, you were a **** then, you're probably a dead one now

Last edited:
@bob_the_bomb - you too huh ? 1978 was my introduction to the Mk4. Didnt even shave then.
There was also this - Ive no claim to the image btw, came up on google