Why do we still have Bedfords?

They are too slow for modern roads. 40 years ago there was a lot less traffic, but today it's unrealistic to expect a bedford to keep up. Even worse when towing a trailer!

The RE were still cutting around in Helmand this time last year in MJs with some dog toffee armour bolted onto the front.

They are still better than the bloody awful leyland daf things they started giving us years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Genuine question.

Does the cost of keeping them going outweigh the cost of replacing them within a reasonable timescale.

I.E would a knew truck pay for itself in say 5 years, when compared to the cost of replacement parts for bedfords?

You should all be honoured to be driving the same truck as your grandad, great grandad, tribal cheiftain

because walking takes longer.

B

Biscuits_AB

Run_Charlie! said:
They are too slow for modern roads. 40 years ago there was a lot less traffic, but today it's unrealistic to expect a bedford to keep up. Even worse when towing a trailer!
It's the Army's way of getting back at those c*nts who pull caravans at the weekend.

Retd_crab said:
What...bring back the RL
Yes with 2 star petrol. pink pink pink

The RL Bedford was the flashest thing on four wheels when I was a young

squaddy, they did a marvellous job in Aden. And while we are on the

subject of vehicles, what have you lot done with that little beauty, the

Austin Champ?

basso said:
The RL Bedford was the flashest thing on four wheels when I was a young

squaddy, they did a marvellous job in Aden. And while we are on the

subject of vehicles, what have you lot done with that little beauty, the

Austin Champ?
No, not the Austin Champ!

Litotes

This thread implies that the Army EVER throws away anything that has not broken in to several million pieces, that can't be taped together ........ again.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
So I take it that Q series and 30 cwt are out then?

Lovely Bedfords 8) A fleet of bedfords from various scrapyards were sent up to North east thailand in 1963 along with a couple of squadrons of RE,s, after the Op finished 21 were handed over to the thai army , who sold them off to a Haulier in 1986,at the moment 15 of them are still being used in haulage in yasothon province, if you look carefully you will also see a couple of swb landrovers complete with 59 squadron markings knocking about too 8) if you do see one get out of the way its the Mrs shopping :p