Why do we have charity auctions, no seriously

Discussion in 'Charity Auctions' started by Spanish_Dave, Dec 2, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

Perhaps it is to help the mum with 4 kids who has just been referred our way today! Sadly dad isnt going to be there for Christmas this year, or in fact any other year. How can we make their Christmas better, any ideas?
  2. Well, a large pile of cash to be spent on presents might be appropriate.
  3. Well I've won one auction and am bidding on another so I'll answer on the basis of that limited experience:

1. I want to help thos who may need it - especially those to whom I have an affinity (and in the past I have worked full-time for a charity for 1.5 years - have you?);

2. If I am going to contribute to a charity I can do it in a number of ways:
    a. As a tax break;
    b. As an act of pure altruism;
    c. Because a generous person has contibuted comething I want and am prepared to pay for;
    d. Because I'm a politician and am making a political statement.

I am 2c. There are three parties involved: The donor (of the prize); the winner (of the prize); and the recipient of the prize money (charity). Each feels good about what they do, and wishes to help the beneficiary.

- So the donor feels good because he/she has given.
    - The winner of the auction feels good because he/she has given.
    - The charity is happy because they can do their work, and;
    - The recipient (I hope) benefits.

Feel free to debate this one with me - I have worked for charities and I have donated, and I have seen charletans posing as charities: I am happy to debate.
  4. Spanish_Dave

I think in all honestly the closest on this is

2.c. Her husband donated his life
  5. Misunterstood your original post so have edited my last.

To be honest, I don't think there is much we can do apart from express our appreciation for what those individuals have done (shouldn't that be the role of the state that sent them to war), and find a way to help those who have lived.

I am not of the religious bent, so my approach is to focus my efforts on those who are still living: soldiers and family (shouldn't that be the role of the state that sent them to war).

Because of my Army background I tend to concentrate on the soldiers - but the families, obviously, are needy. I choose to put my money into the Army survivors - they could be Navy or RAF, but that's what I choose (shouldn't that be the role of the state that sent them to war).

If you are genuinely asking
    then I refer you to my last post. Do you object to someone donating something of value to a cause? Do you object to somone paying for it? Do you object to a genuine charity receiving that money?

I am not sat in a black tie affair in London trying to impress some bimbos (I wish). The plain fact is that Charity Auctions raise money for deserving causes.
  6. Spanish_Dave

OK I admit it I am inferior, now lets get serious if not........
  7. Arrse does charity auctions because the government doesn't really care and fails in its obligations to the injured and to those the fallen have left behind.
  8. Spanish_Dave

Just to let you know this family are now squared away with a 3 bedroom villa with a private pool, this will give them a chance to relax and bond again as a young family should.

Sadly kids have no passports and mum cant afford the flights, can we help do you think? :oops:
  9. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Of course we can

I get paid monday

Something will be on it's way Monday afternoon

They get it with my best wishes and regards
  10. How much would be needed to fund the kids passports, flights and taxi fares? (not that I'm volunteering to pay for it all, I've not had that much to drink)
    How quickly is it needed to ensure they get their passports in time for the break?
  11. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Can't their parent unit help out ?
    I remeber the MOD used to get tjhem in about anb hour from Peterbourgh for lads that needed them

That way they get more money for them to enjoy there selves
    Wheres Snail she'll know
  12. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Why do any of us do any of it?

Because we don't walk away from military mates in trouble, regardless of age, cap-badge or Service.

Because holidays4heroes is different and you can actually feel the benefits that the guys and/or families are getting [mentally, physically and spiritually]. It's not just a handout from the RBL or SSAFA - it's something tangible and, hopefully, memorable.

Because someone has to care, and it might as well be the population on ARRSE.

Shuffles sideways into Crab box ...
  13. Spanish_Dave

We are looking at a grand with passports, flights and car
  14. I'll bung a couple of quid in the pot over the weekend.
  15. We have these auctions as they are an excuse to give, and give to a cause that most of us can relate to (well some of us, as if all 50,000 Arrse members gave £1 a month, think what we could do?)

Mind you, if we could sign 500 members up to £2 per month, this current request would be done!

We need to plug the 'Gift' facility of Paypal as, undoubtedly Hols4H are losing money to Paypal fees, this would also help.

Money inbound tomorrow.