Why do we fight wars?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Ord_Sgt, Oct 1, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I’m curious as to why we do it. Not ideology but more personal. We all say to support our mates but why do we do it? Recent history shows us we are pissing against the wall.

WW2 was to prevent us becoming box heads, ok more to it than that but that really was a war of national survival and identity, an exception to the rule if you will.

Korea, to be fair to MacArthur, we could have put china back in its place and prevented N Korea ever being more than the box case it is in an afternoon with a few nukes as he proposed.

More recently Iraq, although all we’ve done is boost the lunatics in Tehran and sullied our reputation but failed to stand up to these bandits, remember the Navy thing. They’re laughing at us.

Afghanistan, who cares, it’s a nothing country with nothing to offer, ever! Is the world going to be a better place if it even remotely becomes democratic, which it won’t. Drop kick the corrupt shithole and move on. It will just be a drain on the international community, like Iraq. They had a chance and blew it, lets move on.

2. My most recent conflict was resolved with tubby loving, I can't advocate this for global issues, they are usually financially related in some way.

Bosnia went ignored for years as no real financial reserves available, salt isnt worth bothering with.

Iraq - OIL

Afghanistan - Just about everything. the fight will continue, in the name of democracy, but in the pursuit of copper etc etc

3. Read Clausewitz On War my friend, it's all in there.

Here's one of his that fits our national decision making since about October 2001:

Almost forgot this:
    [​IMG]

4. For the LSA and tax relief. We've got to pay the mortgage somehow.

5. Haven't a clue why we're in Afghanistan either. Can't see how it's keeping terrorism off our streets. If anything being there makes it worse as we're just stirring up an Islamic hornets nest. I believe there is a hidden agenda as to why we're in such a shithole.

6. If we say that the terrorists hate us anyway then surely it's better to be attacking the hornet's nest and risking a few stings than allowing them to drift through the window for the next god knows how long? I don't think not going to Afghanistan would have made us best mates with the Islamic world really

7. That's about the gist of it 5A & Ord Sgt. If there is an actual 'strategy' it seems to have passed us all by.

Why are we there? when we will know if we have 'won'?

More to the point, when will the talebs 'know' when they have been beaten?

It's a war without end because there exists no 'Mission' The nearest thing I can think of is it is a rather more suntanned version of Op Banner: Keep rotating the boys through and in the end they will get fed up of us and capitulate. (crosses fingers tightly, whilst humming, loudly, to himself)

8. I think the Chinese have the right approach, we are here to mine, that is why we built this road, we couldn't give a shit about your religion or how you treat people, we are far worse, the road is available for you to use, but it is primarily our road for our ore.

9. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Being far from a luvvie, please explain how its helped?

10. There is a mission, except there is no end-state.

11. ****-all hidden about it. The Septics are there, so we're there. They provide so much of our Defence capability, successive gunmints have been dead scared of saying 'No', in case they push us out from under their umbrella.

Some special relationship that is.

I have to say, though, you've changed your tune a bit. IIRC, in some of your posts not so many years ago, AFG tours were 'good for keeping up professional skills'.

Like they say: there's not so many Old, Bold soldiers . . . .

12. You really think thay all live in one nest?

A career in Military intelligence beckons . . . .

13. Come to think of it, didn't the Americans want an oil pipeline from Central Asia to the nearest port, yet avoiding Iran at all cost? Hence, Afghanistan-Pakistan-Ocean.

14. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

We fight wars because it's a really bad habit that our mothers tell us not to do, but we can't be bothered to listen.

15. Which translates as what exactly?