why do veterans have to resort to charities?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by ALVIN, Apr 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I think that it is a national disgrace that so many ex service men and women are so dependant on charities and welfare in the 21st century in GREAT BRITAIN today to make ends meet. So why is this the case?

2. because the government deems you worthless after you have served, and have been broken in their use
    Unless you are backed up by a high profile campaign. As long as you suffer in silence-"stiff upper lip, old chap.." you wont be noticed in a society that only pays attention to the loudest shouters
    Makes me cry

3. What?

Why did you join then??

4. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

If you only knew what goes on unheard of in the background

5. I'm not aure what all the fuss is about. Lots of charities exist for lots of reasons, not linked to the forces at all.

Or, instead of having charities, lets have 90% taxation instead eh?

6. I agree with you. Service people put their lives on the line for us (as do others), but as a society we do not feel any special responsibility for them as individuals.

And like Salforddude says "you wont be noticed in a society that only pays attention to the loudest shouters" - so perhaps we should start taking part in demonstrations?

7. Charity is a form of direct taxation. You choose how and where some of your money is spent and you get a could feeling from helping.

8. It's not true that ex servicemen/women are dependent on charities for survival anyway. The charities make life more comfortable. That is the function of a charity. It is the function of the government to ensure survival.

If the case was anything else, we would be working our bollocks off to pay tax and that would be it.

Consider the Old Age Pension or Disability benefit or unemployment benefit (not everyone on the latter two are on the scrounge).

If you consider the old age pension will not be enough to keep you in the life you have become accustomed to, you can make your own provisions.

Why should it be different for ex servicemen?

Why should ex servicemen be singled out over, say, Firemen, Nurses or Policemen?

Consider it highly fortunate the forces are going through a pink period in terms of popularity and society IS sympathetic to wants and needs - especially of our fallen and injured.

9. You sir are a wonk, without the RBL, Combat Stress, SAFA, most disabled ex servicemen would be begging on street corners, as they were before these charities formed

10. Absolute fukking dogshite I'm afraid. I'm certainly not begging on any street corners, nor do I know any ex servicemen that are.

And whilst all those charities are good, they are not related to the opening post but my opening thoughts do.

As it happens, when I contribute to charities, I am able to pick and choose where I put my money, whereas, if charities were removed and instead replaced with state funding, that choice would be removed. A percentage of my £££ would then pass to the RSPCA, even though I hate animals.

11. in 1891 there were 20 survivors of the "Charge of the Light Brigade"Known to be in Work-houses. Kipling wrote

They asked for a little money to keep the wolf from the door,
    And the thirty million English sent twenty pounds and four,

enough said

The Last of the Light Brigade
    verse 2 line2

12. You may not know any, but it is estimated that 1 in 6 down and outs on the streets of London are ex Forces.

Some shelters in Hackney could form a platoon. So, perhaps its worth doing a little research before gobbing off

13. Then you just aren't looking.

14. They live there by choice. NOONE in this country needs to live on the streets.

YOU had best toddle off and do some research..

15. There is no excuse or genuine need to beg, which is in fact an illegal act. Not in this country at any rate.

Don't be stupid or childish.