Why Do The Public Hate Us So Much?

#1
After all the years of serving, why do the public hate the army so much. In the 80's it was not to bad but now, when i am asked what i do for a job i wait for the abuse to start. Students are the worst, surley the government needs to boost the armys profile. The way i feel now is that if a terror attack happened over here, i would not even P**S on a member of the public if they were on fire. A lot of people say its because of Iraq and Afghan, but its not the armys fault the governemt decided to go to war, we just fight and die for them. The one thing i admire the yanks for is they are proud of their army.

I am just glad that my time with the army is almost over, i just hope that one day the people of Britian will be proud of its army
 

Alsacien

LE
Moderator
#2
Man_of_Kent said:
After all the years of serving, why do the public hate the army so much. In the 80's it was not to bad but now, when i am asked what i do for a job i wait for the abuse to start. Students are the worst, surley the government needs to boost the armys profile. The way i feel now is that if a terror attack happened over here, i would not even P**S on a member of the public if they were on fire. A lot of people say its because of Iraq and Afghan, but its not the armys fault the governemt decided to go to war, we just fight and die for them. The one thing i admire the yanks for is they are proud of their army.

I am just glad that my time with the army is almost over, i just hope that one day the people of Britian will be proud of its army
People I meet are proud of our individual soldiers - are you sure its not just you :?
 
#4
Check your history. The Army has never been overly popular, exectp for a breif period at the end of a successfull war.

We are a naval nation, being an island. Even they can't find enough mates to drum up some support so what help have we got.
 
#6
I was accosted by a senior member of the organisation I work for earlier in the week and was told how proud he was of the British Armed Forces, for doing the work that we have to without the equipment and support that the armed forces of other countries get, and the level of professionalism with which we conduct ourselves.

I tend to find that the tax dodgers with their "radical" ideas on life, peace on earth, and all things pink and fluffy will criticise what they don't understand. Whereas those with a bit of real life experience will appreciate the sacrifices that the men and women of our armed forces make so they don't have to.
 

ugly

LE
Moderator
#8
I dont think that you should find students as representative of any sensible section of society, they are for the most living it up full of their own self important beliefs of how they are going to change the world. 1st year of a mortgage and it all changes!
Most Joe Public are proud of our forces, they just as in all of our history dont want their kids to serve!
 
#9
What students think aint worth a fcuking toss. Soap dodging whinging w*nk stains. The older generation seem to show the respect but the public in general are a bit so so. Wasn't the case when i got back from Granby. Everyone wanted a drink with me. It lasted for about a week. Fickle b*stards!
 
#11
I think it's because we go out, get drunk, and fuck their daughters :)
 
R

really?_fascinating

Guest
#12
If you get one that is rude about us, kick his head in. At least you will have confirmed his prejudices.
 
#13
I think a lot of it comes down to the limited social circles from which the army generally tends to recruit - squaddies from outside affluent areas, ruperts from, well, Rupertville. A lot of people can go through life without ever meeting anyone with any military activity under their belt - I can't think of a single person I went to school with in a fairly middling part of North London who joined up, or would even have thought of doing so. When I got mobilised for Telic 2 one of my more liberal friends more or less said that she'd always thought of soldiers as a bunch of hooligans, but would now have to revise her opinions since one of her friends was going.
 
#14
mediumwhiteamericano said:
Try spreading the love a little; you never knowwhat might happen.
I think it's that which causes most of the problems! (Well, the spreading of STDs, deviant sexual practices and Satan's seed! :D )
 
#15
Aloysius said:
I think a lot of it comes down to the limited social circles from which the army generally tends to recruit - squaddies from outside affluent areas, ruperts from, well, Rupertville. A lot of people can go through life without ever meeting anyone with any military activity under their belt - I can't think of a single person I went to school with in a fairly middling part of North London who joined up, or would even have thought of doing so. When I got mobilised for Telic 2 one of my more liberal friends more or less said that she'd always thought of soldiers as a bunch of hooligans, but would now have to revise her opinions since one of her friends was going.
And rightly so! Hats (and pants) off to this girl.
 
#16
Alsacien said:
Man_of_Kent said:
After all the years of serving, why do the public hate the army so much. In the 80's it was not to bad but now, when i am asked what i do for a job i wait for the abuse to start. Students are the worst, surley the government needs to boost the armys profile. The way i feel now is that if a terror attack happened over here, i would not even P**S on a member of the public if they were on fire. A lot of people say its because of Iraq and Afghan, but its not the armys fault the governemt decided to go to war, we just fight and die for them. The one thing i admire the yanks for is they are proud of their army.

I am just glad that my time with the army is almost over, i just hope that one day the people of Britian will be proud of its army
People I meet are proud of our individual soldiers - are you sure its not just you :?
You must be very lucky if you don't notice it. I served in 80's when public where proud of our army, they don't give a fcuk today.

This morning I picked up some Doris outside Jaxx night club Fleet, she was complaining that the Monkeys and squaddies where in town. This Doris works in one of the local watering holes and said why doesn't someone get rid of these spineless b*stards and send them of somewhere useful.

I smiled thinking she was on about the civpop, then she said I hate squaddies. I totally spat my dummy out and nearly threw the bitch out of my cab. I said if it wasn't 0230hrs I'd personally drag her down to Headley Court 30 min away and she could tell the inmates that she considers them to be worthless and spineless.

By the time I'd finished she got out of the cab all apologetic saying she didn't realise so many had been hurt, and was sorry she'd offended. She looked very embarrassed and asked why is it not reported on news channels and in papers properley so that public know what really is going on.
 
#18
It's always been this way for as long as there have been soldiers, Rudyard Kipling (during his poetry years before he went back to making exceedingly good cakes), captures the spirit of the 19th Century well in his poem Tommy:

"O it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, go away";
But it's ``Thank you, Mister Atkins,'' when the band begins to play,
The band begins to play, my boys, the band begins to play,
O it's ``Thank you, Mr. Atkins,'' when the band begins to play."

I remember being called a baby killer by a student (when I was a niggy Junior Leader with all of 3 months service!). I engaged him in a reasoned debate about his opinion before kicking his bollocks back in to his body..
 

Alsacien

LE
Moderator
#19
woolyback_bastard said:
Alsacien said:
Man_of_Kent said:
After all the years of serving, why do the public hate the army so much. In the 80's it was not to bad but now, when i am asked what i do for a job i wait for the abuse to start. Students are the worst, surley the government needs to boost the armys profile. The way i feel now is that if a terror attack happened over here, i would not even P**S on a member of the public if they were on fire. A lot of people say its because of Iraq and Afghan, but its not the armys fault the governemt decided to go to war, we just fight and die for them. The one thing i admire the yanks for is they are proud of their army.

I am just glad that my time with the army is almost over, i just hope that one day the people of Britian will be proud of its army
People I meet are proud of our individual soldiers - are you sure its not just you :?
You must be very lucky if you don't notice it. I served in 80's when public where proud of our army, they don't give a fcuk today.

This morning I picked up some Doris outside Jaxx night club Fleet, she was complaining that the Monkeys and squaddies where in town. This Doris works in one of the local watering holes and said why doesn't someone get rid of these spineless b*stards and send them of somewhere useful.

I smiled thinking she was on about the civpop, then she said I hate squaddies. I totally spat my dummy out and nearly threw the bitch out of my cab. I said if it wasn't 0230hrs I'd personally drag her down to Headley Court 30 min away and she could tell the inmates that she considers them to be worthless and spineless.

By the time I'd finished she got out of the cab all apologetic saying she didn't realise so many had been hurt, and was sorry she'd offended. She looked very embarrassed and asked why is it not reported on news channels and in papers properley so that public know what really is going on.
Somewhere in her recent history one of our countries finest probably nicked her Sky remote on the way out of the door... :D
 
#20
My serious answer to this is, it's mostly generalisations:

ALL soldiers are thugs
ALL students are unwashed pinkos
THE PUBLIC doesn't give a damn

There is a general apathy insofar as THE PUBLIC probably won't be stirred to go on marches in support of the Armed Forces, because there is the (not unrealistic) belief that you made the choice to join up when you could have made another lifestyle / career choice. That demonstrates that they don't understand the two main drivers for a career in the Armed Forces: a wish to serve being one; no other economic choice being the other. They don’t know about the Military Covenant, therefore they don’t know there’s anything they should be getting wound up about. Yes some people still can't distinguish between government policy and the Armed Forces being used as a tool of that policy and a few still have the "baby killer" mentality, :roll: but thankfully they are a minority.

As I've said before, it's a passive apathy on the most part rather than an aggressive dislike and I do think that if we saw more of Her Majesty's finest out and about in uniform we'd realise how many of the lads and lasses we pass in the street without a second glance are serving and realise they're more of our 'community' than we think. Familiarity breeds contempt, but in the first instance it breeds acceptance.

PS If you stopped trying to shag people’s pets, that would also go a long way to being loved by the masses!
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top