Why Do The Public Hate Us So Much?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Man_of_Kent, Sep 7, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. After all the years of serving, why do the public hate the army so much. In the 80's it was not to bad but now, when i am asked what i do for a job i wait for the abuse to start. Students are the worst, surley the government needs to boost the armys profile. The way i feel now is that if a terror attack happened over here, i would not even P**S on a member of the public if they were on fire. A lot of people say its because of Iraq and Afghan, but its not the armys fault the governemt decided to go to war, we just fight and die for them. The one thing i admire the yanks for is they are proud of their army.

I am just glad that my time with the army is almost over, i just hope that one day the people of Britian will be proud of its army
  2. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

People I meet are proud of our individual soldiers - are you sure its not just you :?
  3. Maybe your just lucky
  4. Check your history. The Army has never been overly popular, exectp for a breif period at the end of a successfull war.

We are a naval nation, being an island. Even they can't find enough mates to drum up some support so what help have we got.
  5. MoK,

It works both ways though. A lot of people can't stand civvies so I guess it's a vicious circle. Try spreading the love a little; you never knowwhat might happen.
  6. I was accosted by a senior member of the organisation I work for earlier in the week and was told how proud he was of the British Armed Forces, for doing the work that we have to without the equipment and support that the armed forces of other countries get, and the level of professionalism with which we conduct ourselves.

I tend to find that the tax dodgers with their "radical" ideas on life, peace on earth, and all things pink and fluffy will criticise what they don't understand. Whereas those with a bit of real life experience will appreciate the sacrifices that the men and women of our armed forces make so they don't have to.
  7. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Does help when the folks you meet are mostly ex-pats I guess :wink:
  8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I dont think that you should find students as representative of any sensible section of society, they are for the most living it up full of their own self important beliefs of how they are going to change the world. 1st year of a mortgage and it all changes!
    Most Joe Public are proud of our forces, they just as in all of our history dont want their kids to serve!
  9. What students think aint worth a fcuking toss. Soap dodging whinging w*nk stains. The older generation seem to show the respect but the public in general are a bit so so. Wasn't the case when i got back from Granby. Everyone wanted a drink with me. It lasted for about a week. Fickle b*stards!
  10. My point exactly
  11. I think it's because we go out, get drunk, and fuck their daughters :)
  12. If you get one that is rude about us, kick his head in. At least you will have confirmed his prejudices.
  13. I think a lot of it comes down to the limited social circles from which the army generally tends to recruit - squaddies from outside affluent areas, ruperts from, well, Rupertville. A lot of people can go through life without ever meeting anyone with any military activity under their belt - I can't think of a single person I went to school with in a fairly middling part of North London who joined up, or would even have thought of doing so. When I got mobilised for Telic 2 one of my more liberal friends more or less said that she'd always thought of soldiers as a bunch of hooligans, but would now have to revise her opinions since one of her friends was going.
  14. I think it's that which causes most of the problems! (Well, the spreading of STDs, deviant sexual practices and Satan's seed! :D )
  15. And rightly so! Hats (and pants) off to this girl.