Why do the Old Bill always have to get in on the act?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by western, Feb 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Muslim police officers are being given extra protection and advice amid fears that they could become targets of kidnap terror gangs.

A review of London's officers was ordered after police and security forces foiled what they believe was a plot to abduct and behead a British Muslim soldier.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23384021-details/Protection+for+Muslim+police+in+kidnap+fear/article.do

I don't know about anyone else but i find it irritating that the Old Bill, especially the Met, seem to have a bigger 'victim' complex that the whole of Merseyside.

I know that sort of review is good common sense but why bang on to the papers about it?

2. Probably because if they publicise the fact that they have thought of it, it may discourage Tommy Terrorist from risking it.

3. Probably because they are the largest police force in the country and have alot of experience of being sued for not considering things like this in the past.
    And no-one has a bigger "victim" complex than Merseyside

4. Seems fairly logical to me western, after all there are probably far more muslim Police officers than muslim soldiers serving the crown. Can't blame the plod for looking after their own.To be honest, I would think that kidnap, torture and murder of a copper would have a far bigger effect on the treatment of muslims in this country, which would no doubt suit the terrorists' purposes.

5. I wasn't saying that I thought that it was a bad idea, just expressing my opinion that it is always the Met that have to bang on about things. Why can't they be more like West Mids for instance? They I am sure have more reason to publicise what they have done for their Muslim staff but choose to act with the same quiet dignity in which the investigation is being conducted.

6. Probable because the Metropolitan Police are the largest police force in the Country. The vast majority of terrorist targets will be located in their police area, they will have one of the largest "minority" communities in the country.

All of these things and the fact it will be far easier to kidnap a police officer than it would be a member of the armd forces. It is pure logic that they would take all reasonable steps to protect their officers.

There is a wind of change sweeping through NSY at the moment in the opposite directions to Downing Streets poodle sitting at the top.

7. I'd say it was far easier to nick a squaddie. Look for the issue grip in any train station. Put him in a van. Done. If he's on leave he wont be missed until he's AWOL whereas if a copper doesn't tip up at work without warning the plod come looking for him immediately.

If i had the choice of the two i'd nab a squaddie at a bus stop on his way home

8. I must admit, I have also wondered if they would target ex-soldiers. Because I am sure that would still create the same effect for all intents and purposes.

9. But it would be easier to kidnap a cop surely? They (sometimes) come when called, or will walk up to a van if you call them over holding your map etc. Plus you get a radio to listen in on.

10. Now I see why the WPC who wouldn't shake hands didn't want to be in the photo either.

11. Precisely, her issue uniform also acts as a cloaking device so she can't be ID'd as a copper.......................................

12. Is paranoia a communicable disease?

13. No, because when they do arrive, they are invariably accompanied - and they have a radio so they can call for help!

Although one could argue that it would be two for the price of one.

Litotes

14. Sorry, what planet you on, the vast majority of forces havea policy if single crewing so it looks like there are more officers about, I know it is in my local force.

Now that forces have gone over to airwave it will be harder to use it as the handset can be locked.

15. Round my way, coppers come in pairs. Just lately though, all my contact with the constabulary has been via roaming speed cameras. Drove 100+ miles yesterday (Sunday). Roads were mixed but I didn't see any police other than a mobile camera on a bone dry and very quiet dual carriageway out in the countryside.

Litotes