• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Why do the Argentinians constantly portray themselves as victims?

The Falkland Islands is British, the majority of its population are British and want absolutely nothing to do with Argentina or any other South American nation.

What annoys me the most is the Argentinians themselves are vicious oppressors who brutally supressed the native people of the land they now call Argentina. Most Argentinians are of Southern European decent, predominantly Spanish and Italian, and a small number of other European nationalities. The only reason they form a majority now is because they slaughtered the people there before them.

And yet despite all this Argentina portrays itself as the helpless victim of nasty British imperialism as if they've been in charge of the Falklands and Argentina since the year dot, and we nasty British have come along and stolen the islands from them.

The worrying thing is, it seems more nations seem to be siding with the Argentine position than with the British position.

Reading between the lines I think all this flare up about the Falklands is more of a manefestation of anti-British sentiment than a real concern about the sovreignty of the Falkland Islands.

For some reason everyone likes to jump on the Brit-bashing bandwagon and this is just another opportunity to do just that.

Because they are victims - victims of a political leadership which, with one or two exceptions, has been utterly, utterly sh1te at running their country. It is probably not unfair to suggest that bar Alfonsin, the rag-bag assortment of dictators, divas, failed technocrats and other assorted meat-packing gliterati (c. R. Waters) make Gordon Brown look like Gladstone when it comes to statesmanship. And, of course, said leaders have had a nasty habit of murdering their citizens in large numbers from time to time.

The Argentine government likes to use the Falklands to distract its population from internal issues with a bit of good old fashioned jingoism. Hence why everytime the Argie government goes through a period of unpopularity we see a rise in 'Las Malvinas' rhetoric. And it apparently works quite nicely.

Until oil entered the equation, it actually suited the Argentine government more for the Falklands to be in British hands as it meant they always had a backup plan for distracting the population. With the Falklands in Argentine hands, aside from the temporary popularity boost it would give, it would mean it could no longer be used for such a purpose.

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
We're also not popular with many of the Euro elites for pissing on their latest EU firework - and the States of South America are heavily influenced by Spain, Portugal, and other S European states (there are many descendants of S Europeans there, particularly in Afghanistan).

Good point brought out though - I wonder what the 'Native' residents of Argentina think of it all? Oops, too late, they've been exterminated already :)

IIRC this happened last year, yet more hot air talk from the Argies, and now they've managed to get a couple of other countries to support them,

Oh well carry on..

Of course, they've got a woman in charge as well. Always someone else's fault; "well I shouldn't have done that but I only did it because you did that completely non-comparable thing on the 27th of July 1986, at half-past three in the afternoon."

Doesn't help that Hiliary Clinton said she'd be happy as a neutral party to host talks between Britian and Argentina over the fututre of "Las Malvinas" now does it? Refering to the Falklands as such really hints at which way she swings.

I believe that the Southern American countries would rather Argentina had control over the FI so as to bring economic stability to the region, now that they know (rather than thinking like the last couple of decades) that there is oil to be had.

What worries me is we're in a treaty with France over sharing our Aircraft carriers, yet in the last war they were the ones providing the Junta with excocet with which to fire at us!

The Argentineans can talk all they want, but they can't do anything.

Whilst our Armed Forces look different to how they did in 1982 we're still the 4th largest spender on Defence in the world and you still get something for your money.

In 1982 we had our eye off the ball. Equally, the senior military man on the Islands was a major. Now we have a Brigadier in Command. We have a military airfield, fast jets in place, a raft of radar and SIGINT and contingency plans up the ying yang.

We routinely have a nuclear sub in the area and we know what they can do to dago shipping. Whilst we have less ships they are immeasurably more capable; one of those new Frigate things (ships aren't my strong point) could apparently park next to the Falklands and track the entire Argentine airforce and shoot them all down as they left Argy airspace.

16 Bde has now returned to contingency as has 3 Cdo Bde, i.e. they are off the HERRICK treadmill and stood by for other taskings.

Argentina, meanwhile, no longer has an amphibious capability.

So, picture the scene. Int (our eye is now very much on the ball and the Yanks share with us) tells us they may be about to try something. A few more Typhoon fly down there. A BG or two from 16 Bde fly down (via ascension, which we own) to the in place military airfield and stand by to execute a number of conplans. We park a Frigate thingy there and have a few subs nose about.

They start coming. Our ISTAR picks them up. They get a warning. They ignore it. The sub begins sinking their ships. The Frigate thingy shoots down all of their aircraft. If, by some miracle, they get a few troops ashore they are met by an Afghan hardened, well equipped BG who have had time to prepare. Imagine fighting a dago Army who try to fight conventionally.

No UK government would ever not fight for the Falklands; it would be electoral suicide.

I almost hope they try.

Whilst our Armed Forces look different to how they did in 1982 we're still the 4th largest spender on Defence in the world and you still get something for your money.

In 1982 we had our eye off the ball. Equally, the senior military man on the Islands was a major. Now we have a Brigadier in Command. We have a military airfield, fast jets in place, a raft of radar and SIGINT and contingency plans up the ying yang.

We routinely have a nuclear sub in the area and we know what they can do to dago shipping. Whilst we have less ships they are immeasurably more capable; one of those new Frigate things (ships aren't my strong point) could apparently park next to the Falklands and track the entire Argentine airforce and shoot them all down as they left Argy airspace.

16 Bde has now returned to contingency as has 3 Cdo Bde, i.e. they are off the HERRICK treadmill and stood by for other taskings.

So, picture the scene. Int (our eye is now very much on the ball and the Yanks share with us) tells us they may be about to try something. A few more Typhoon fly down there. A BG or two from 16 Bde fly down (via ascension, which we own) to the in place military airfield and stand by to execute a number of conplans. We park a Frigate thingy there and have a few subs nose about.

They start coming. Our ISTAR picks them up. They get a warning. They ignore it. The sub begins sinking their ships. The Frigate thingy shoots down all of their aircraft. If, by some miracle, they get a few troops ashore they are met by an Afghan hardened, well equipped BG who have had time to prepare. Imagine fighting a dago Army who try to fight conventionally.

No UK government would ever not fight for the Falklands; it would be electoral suicide.

I almost hope they try.

**ejaculates**

I almost hope they try.
I can see it now. Falklands War 2 but with courageous restraint and the white card thrown in for good measure.

Latest Threads