Why do the Argentinians constantly portray themselves as victims?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Matematik, Dec 22, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Falkland Islands is British, the majority of its population are British and want absolutely nothing to do with Argentina or any other South American nation.

What annoys me the most is the Argentinians themselves are vicious oppressors who brutally supressed the native people of the land they now call Argentina. Most Argentinians are of Southern European decent, predominantly Spanish and Italian, and a small number of other European nationalities. The only reason they form a majority now is because they slaughtered the people there before them.

And yet despite all this Argentina portrays itself as the helpless victim of nasty British imperialism as if they've been in charge of the Falklands and Argentina since the year dot, and we nasty British have come along and stolen the islands from them.

The worrying thing is, it seems more nations seem to be siding with the Argentine position than with the British position.

Reading between the lines I think all this flare up about the Falklands is more of a manefestation of anti-British sentiment than a real concern about the sovreignty of the Falkland Islands.

For some reason everyone likes to jump on the Brit-bashing bandwagon and this is just another opportunity to do just that.
  2. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

**** em, we've got big shoulders.
    • Like Like x 9
  3. Yes.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Because they are victims - victims of a political leadership which, with one or two exceptions, has been utterly, utterly sh1te at running their country. It is probably not unfair to suggest that bar Alfonsin, the rag-bag assortment of dictators, divas, failed technocrats and other assorted meat-packing gliterati (c. R. Waters) make Gordon Brown look like Gladstone when it comes to statesmanship. And, of course, said leaders have had a nasty habit of murdering their citizens in large numbers from time to time.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. The Argentine government likes to use the Falklands to distract its population from internal issues with a bit of good old fashioned jingoism. Hence why everytime the Argie government goes through a period of unpopularity we see a rise in 'Las Malvinas' rhetoric. And it apparently works quite nicely.

Until oil entered the equation, it actually suited the Argentine government more for the Falklands to be in British hands as it meant they always had a backup plan for distracting the population. With the Falklands in Argentine hands, aside from the temporary popularity boost it would give, it would mean it could no longer be used for such a purpose.
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Edited by mod

grrr battlefield is pissing me off atm so needed somewhere to let it off

Not here: go to the Naafi
  7. Good reply Finn.

Personally I think we have a good infantry Training area down there.
  8. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

As there was never an indigenous population in the Falklands the Argies are talking bollux once again.
  9. Because the modern world teaches anyone with eyes, that you get more by rending your limbs and wailing like a Calcutta beggar, than by behaving honestly.
  10. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

We're also not popular with many of the Euro elites for pissing on their latest EU firework - and the States of South America are heavily influenced by Spain, Portugal, and other S European states (there are many descendants of S Europeans there, particularly in Afghanistan).

Good point brought out though - I wonder what the 'Native' residents of Argentina think of it all? Oops, too late, they've been exterminated already :)
  11. IIRC this happened last year, yet more hot air talk from the Argies, and now they've managed to get a couple of other countries to support them,

Oh well carry on..
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Catholic culture as well. They get off on being the wronged party even when they are being the bastards.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Of course, they've got a woman in charge as well. Always someone else's fault; "well I shouldn't have done that but I only did it because you did that completely non-comparable thing on the 27th of July 1986, at half-past three in the afternoon."
    • Like Like x 3

14. You've met my ex wife then?
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Serious historical question: Given that the Falklands have always been British, where did all the Spanish place names originate from?
    • Like Like x 1