Why do Sappers object to being called fella?

Never much liked the term anyway - and don't call me mate either - not unless you've earn't the right. However I heard the other day that sappers have a particular dislike to being called 'Fella' for historical reasons. Can anyone elaborate? Must be a new thing 'cos I don't remember anyone using the term until after 2000.

Hi mate,

Fella' is used to indicate that the person is of dubious sexuality if you like, or in more grotesque wording, a lover of the cock.

Don't let it bother you fella.

Beautiful, a full 28 minutes before you saw your own arse and your blood pressure rocketed.

I get the feeling you never completed an arduous course whilst serving.

Later mate.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
Fella is a bastardisation of Fellah. An Arabic term for a pig ignorant shit shovelling peasant who grubs about in the ground digging stuff up.

Most people do not take offence at being hailed as Fella. Sappers do. Cant think why.

Mate, if you want history.........

"I believe the dislike of this form of address can be traced back to the Battle of Waterloo, where Sapper Horatio Fella was captured by some French troops and forced to give them head, before being roundly sodomised by Napoleon himself.

Hence the term "Fellatio" and the dislike of the stylised term fella, which reminds those in RE of their ignimonious defeat...."

Has that satisfied your historical curiosity mate?

There one was a fella called Horatio
Who performed for the Ffrench Felatio .....

Great, another tosser who thinks people need to 'earn' the right to use a passing term like mate when speaking to him.

What are you, ******* royalty?

How's cuntchops. Does that work for you?

History....... complete load of bollox. Started in Chatham where a CO addressed everyone as fellow, some fat **** going nowhere JNCO started chopsing-off about it and the weak minded followed. Arround 2006 IIRC. Defo no history or deep meaning about it.

Hope that helps fella me mate.

You hate it because of your inner shame at adoring schlong.

Don't worry about it though, just because you crave the taste of other men's ejaculate it does not make you a fiend.

Merely a homosexual RE.

My last Squadron Commander and Sergeant Major had both never heard of the 'Fella' thing before and once corrected by the lads, then tried to use it as much as possible.

On my Troopies Course it was never mentioned. I only heard about it when I got to Regiment.

Asking the lads, I've had all kinds of origins;
Numerous meanings in other languages,
"it groups us all together and doesn't treat us as individuals."
and even "It's an old Germany thing."

Never much liked the term anyway - and don't call me mate either - not unless you've earn't the right.
Hi mate.
My friends call me John, you can call me Chris because you haven't earnt that right..

I recall (last years Army v Navy) in the spirit of banter in the RE bar calling someone 'fella' & got a dirty look & raised eyebrows in return,

To which I responded: Could be worse, I could have called you a Matelot...

I've heard all of the above but I was always under the impression that it was an objection to the massive over use of the word throughout other arms of the army, mainly the infantry. Training regiments especially.
Noticed it a hell of a lot a couple of weeks ago whilst on exercise attached to a rifles company.
Word always makes me cringe now cos of its over use but maybe that's because of everyone around me objecting to it, peer pressure kings of thing.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Hitlerwasabitnaughty Sappers 27
B Sappers 41
O Sappers 2