Why do Jews wear little pillboxes on their foreheads?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Bugsy, Aug 19, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Recently, two of my brothers (who are manufacturing jewellers) asked me to attend a Trade Fair in Basel (Switzerland) to provide linguistic assistance.
    I noticed upon my arrival every morning that many of the Jewish contributors engaged in prayer against a wall equipped with a sort of little box on their upper foreheads.

It's not as if I'm going to lose sleep over the subject, but I'd still dearly like to know what the little pillbox signifies, since I've seen it in any number of newsreel films of Jews praying at the "Wailing Wall" in Jerusalem and in other places.

My apologies in advance if this query offends any Jews in the British Army or wherever, or if I've overstepped the mark in any way.

2. No doubt someone knows this with more detail, but from memory, the small box holds a piece of text (I think from the Torah) which keeps the faith at the forefront of the wearer's mind no matter what else they're doing.
  3. Jews also have a scroll of text in an ornate box attached to the frame of the front door for similar purposes.
  4. The box is called a tefilin, as said, it contains passages from the scriptures.

Two are worn, during prayer, one on their left arm, as it's closest to the heart, to remind them to keep the Law with all their whole heart, the other on the forehead to remind them to keep to the teachings of the Torah with their whole mind.

A mezuzah.
  5. msr

msr LE

6. Sad when some one can't ask a simple question without worrying about who they are going offend.

Good point well presented, I've learnt something new and nobody is wailing about it or proffering 10 pages of cut and paste explaining why they have a right to be offended by it

Big sigh shakes head
  7. Worn for morning prayer only. One is also worn on the arm (photo elsewhere on this site with armour soldier praying would be a good example of this).
  8. As I said, from memory! I last took an RE lesson 16 years ago...
  9. You've got it down to a tee, gimpy! It's why I've held off asking the question for ages!
    Let's hope more people will be encouraged by this, and not think they're some sort of alien, just because of their thoughts!

10. I was told that the IDF have two styles of helmet, one with and one without.

But has anyone answered the earlier question about the big cloth helmet covers in some pictures?
  11. Everyone prays to their own God, it is the mark of a truely well rounded individual who can accept anothers belief without going mental, trust me I know 17 years in NI shows the intolerance of anothers belief. If you prick us do we not bleed?
  12. Easy boy, easy! Tis all in the mind, so I've heard! :D :D :D

13. Think you're being a tad paranoid here, gents!

Genuine inquiry re aspects of religious practice, customs etc are not a problem at all. In fact, most people are pleased when others sincerely want to know about such things, and - in general - are only too happy to explain them.