Why do I appreciate my fitness now?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by re-stilly, Apr 26, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am fitter now than when I left the Army, I enjoy my phys a lot more as well, is it because I am doing it on my terms rather than some Gym Queens, or is it the fact that I am older and just appreciate things more. Went for a 5 miler in the rain and loved it, don't think I would have enjoyed it as much had I still been in green or younger.

2. because you're doing for yourself not cos some tool is making you.

3. Potential factors include:

An element of pride - you are now fitter than most of your peers (as a civvy) because you are self motivated rather than simply being fit because it is part of your job.
    An element of relaxation - you now run at a pace that suits you, rather than constantly beasting yourself.
    An element of Alpha male - you know that chicks dig a man who is fit and, the older you get, the more you stand out for continuing to be fit.

My top tip, work out where and when all the young fillies do their jogging and adjust your timetable accordingly. Running will be even more rewarding then.

4. I think you are right, I enjoy running far more now than I ever did when I was in.

5. RS, because its you, I will also add because it is part of your religion to be self-reliant and self-reliance requires fitness.

6. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Agreed. I was in a very successful cross country and marathon team, training twice a day. Though I enjoyed it for ten years or so, all my best times were set when I was posted away from the Bn and was training in my own time as an individual.

7. or are you just trying to get away from the Mrs? :)

personally i could never be arsed when PT was on the armys schedule but always felt like i'd enjoyed it after the event, so i think just the fact that you're now doing it on your own terms makes it more enjoyable.

8. I'm always trying to get away from the missus, currently I am swimming 3 x a week, cycling 3 x a week and running 3 x a week. Am fitting it in around work and time I would normally waste like the hour and a half between getting home and picking nipper up I can get a cycle in, hour for lunch = 5 mile run and half hour in the morning for a swim.

9. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

Ye're wasting away, I tells ye...

10. I am have lost 3 stone since Nov and goyt into 34" trousers for the first time in..... well my memory is hazy.

11. "Some tool" being a PTI or the CO?? Either way, fitness is an integral part of being in the army and unless said tool made squaddies do the phys the majority would just sit in their scratchers getting fatter!

Wind yer neck in fatty!

12. Another thing is, the Army does it all wrong

13. that still doesnt mean they're not a tool

14. I think I have grown in to an unsocial bastard that enjoys his own company as well. So any time I am on my tod is a happy one.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Given the choice of myself or the wife, i know what i'd choose!