Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Why do British squaddies have such shyte nicknames?

Knew a guy called 'Bratty'. He was allegedly caught red handed knocking one out while sucking on a Bratwurst.
No idea if the story was true but the name stuck.
I had one similar to that. I remember a private who was called Superman - because he was found doing a hand shandy in a phone booth behind the bowling alley at Camp Ripley, MN. Dunno if he was sucking on a bratwurst through the vinegar strokes though. :?

One of ours was called 'Gobbler' because his job before enlisting was as an Artificial inseminator' for a well know Turkey Twizzler producer and he was proud of that job. He loved his nickname and would tell anyone willing to listen all about it. Real name, not a bloody clue ...... I'm lucky I can remember yesterday never mind over 40 years ago

Never met anyone in the military but a jockey from back in the 60s was shown on TV as "P Ennis." Now that must be among the most unfortunate. :cool:

Did anyone have a token black fella in their squadron? Did he have a nickname?
My training sergeant was South African, there were two types of people he didn't like, Paras and ahem, ethnics. Until we had a lad transfer in from 2 Para who looked like he'd spent a canny six months in somewhere very hot and sunny. ;)