Why do British squaddies have such shyte nicknames?

We had a lad with a Polish surname who was just known as 'Trotsky'and another lad had bad acne as a teenager and spent the next 22 years being called 'Spot'. Both refuse to this day to answer to their 'proper' names

For a while I was known as Queen Mary. That's because I always went out with tugs.

I once came across a back fella called Simon Black.Of course being in a military situation he was called Black,Simon.
He took it very well for the first three yeas of his service.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Actually the more I think about it, the more I vaguely recall hearing of Abdul. I'll know plenty of people who knew him.

@kelvin_273 are you in the Facebook group?

It's said that the term for South Shields residents, Sand Dancers, is derived from the Yemeni community. I may be wrong but I think the Millipede brothers, Ed and Dave (remember them) have links to the Sand Dancers.

Actually the more I think about it, the more I vaguely recall hearing of Abdul. I'll know plenty of people who knew him.

It's said that the term for South Shields residents, Sand Dancers, is derived from the Yemeni community. I may be wrong but I think the Millipede brothers, Ed and Dave (remember them) have links to the Sand Dancers.
Sand Dancers you say?

Gen dit.'12 clips' an all that. We had a long serving officer ,up thru the ranks, I/C of the sqdrn.His son joined as a pte. Everyone called him 2 I/C. A Cpl of Asian descent,Malay or indo, no one could pronounce his name ,but his last 2 were '69' so everyone called him '69'.even on roll call.

Dunno mate. I joined late in the Omagh tour. Outside of me troop I knew the squadron clerk, arms storeman (Kenny Statt RIP) SSM, OC, RSM and CO.
Was Jock Walls still RSM then? He`s the only Razzman who ever made me feel a tad nervous!

I had to go on CO`s orders once in Fally - Full No2s and all that jazz. Afterwards he made us double all the way back to the Admin Sqn block.

No mate, I don`t do Facebook.

Unfortunately I don`t recall the Millipede brothers but I do remember Horace. Shot himself in the thigh with a round from a .50 ranging machine gun. Quite how he managed that is still a mystery to me. :cool:

We had a lad with a Polish surname who was just known as 'Trotsky'and another lad had bad acne as a teenager and spent the next 22 years being called 'Spot'. Both refuse to this day to answer to their 'proper' names
Did they call you "lying twat"?

Too young to go to Aden,I was attached to 3DG for 3 months in '61.Told to go to Guardroom and report to Sgt. Doodah,I thought it was a wind up and didn't go.As I later found out to my cost,Sgt. Duda was Polish and was Provost Sgt.I never tried to be 'clever' again.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Was Jock Walls still RSM then? He`s the only Razzman who ever made me feel a tad nervous!

I had to go on CO`s orders once in Fally - Full No2s and all that jazz. Afterwards he made us double all the way back to the Admin Sqn block.
Yes indeed. In 96 I was returning from holiday on a ferry and randomly bumped into The Association returning from a Normandy tour. I met Jock 30 years on and the only thing on my mind was "I got up early for the ferry and haven't shaved."

Not a nickname but in my Battalion we had 2 Company Commanders serving at the same time who's surnames are Heggs and Bacon.
Just thought I would mention it like
one nickname I do remember with a smile and a laugh is 'Clink' no not because he spent most of his time locked up, but because he would always wear the issued spectacles, the round lenses and wire watsit's that go around the ears type.

Celle circa 1980 on a local exercise with the 432's, Ferrets, Rovers and stolly's. Harbouring up and this lad (Cant remember his real name now) wearing said specs comes up and say's " Has anyone got a 'Clink' spare bulb" what had happened was as he was asking for a spare bulb the lens from his bins fell out and made this 'Clink' sound as it hit the ground. Best bit was he hadn't realised it and just walked off leaving the lens on the ground.
Someone (not me as I was still in a fit of giggles) picked up his lens and returned it to him, so from that day he was affectionately called 'Clink'

Celle circa 1980 on a local exercise with the 432's, Ferrets, Rovers and stolly's. Harbouring up and this lad (Cant remember his real name now) wearing said specs comes up and say's " Has anyone got a 'Clink' spare bulb" what had happened was as he was asking for a spare bulb the lens from his bins fell out and made this 'Clink' sound as it hit the ground. Best bit was he hadn't realised it and just walked off leaving the lens on the ground.
Someone (not me as I was still in a fit of giggles) picked up his lens and returned it to him, so from that day he was affectionately called 'Clink'
Slight thread drift...

During a CR2 gunner's course in Paderborn in 2000 one of my lads failed miserably on a series of exercises on the gunnery trainer simulator thing (the videogame booth/console). It wasn't that difficult 'cos even I had passed at my advanced age.

When I asked him what happened he said he had trouble with the foggy weather conditions on the simulator and switching to thermal didn't make any difference. We then noticed that the right lens of his glasses had fallen out. We found it on the floor of the simulator and ran him through again.

The cry of "I can see the target now!" was most gratifying.

Edited to add ('[cos I forgot it first time round): The soldier's nickname was "Mad Pete". Having recently joined the unit and not knowing the bloke I asked one of the other NCOs why. I was told something along the lines of "You've not seen him driving yet have you?"

A few days later....

"Pete, see that white line down the middle of the road? Try and keep on the left hand side of it, not ON it, and definately not on the right hand side of it. Thank you."

"Pete, left, left, pull over to the left!"

"Pete FFS!!!!!!"

He was a good radio operator though... :)

Last edited: