Why do British squaddies have such shyte nicknames?

We had loads of blokes called by their last two numbers. Being a Jock Battalion we had loads of Robertsons. referred to as Robbie, so it was Robbie 22, Robbie 43, Robbie 19 etc. The only way to stop the really nasty nick names was violence. Failure to do so meant the name stuck.

HIV because he was always so positive.

Some of the nicknames were based on facts, not on being whimsical. One particular DM from a Jock Battalion from the north (not northeast) was called pishy due to his lack of bladder control and turning his mattress into a nappy when he got too píssêd....

We had a lad who's nickname was Spunky , the only reason he got called that was because that was the name scrawled on his locker when he took it over.

We had a guy at 7 Sigs called 'L*ng the Mong', simply because his name was 'L*ng' and he was/is a ******* Mong.

Before I transferred over to the Med branch back in my steward days on ships (pre 2000's) we had a deeth called shitty, a bent called izzee (also had a 'Gay' on the Fearless called izzee), an Ellis called Siff. All gen. Unfortunately shitty did not like his new pseudonym and made it well known, so of course everyone stopped referring to him as that name.....
Mate, I just had to run that through Google Translate and I'm still none the wiser

1529669667421.png

I thought the given nickname was "Sparks" but maybe that was only in the Andrew. :?

Sparks was Me, and my fellow generator operator, maintenance, suppliers of high grade clean top quality electricity, to all who paid us in copious quantities of coffee and fags, (That's Cigarettes for the septic tribes) Also called Sparks by my OC.

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
We had a marvellous comrade from Ceylon (or Sri Lanka now) whose name was Wij****** M*****nadarajin, but everyone called him "Fred", even the officers, the razzman and SNCOs. At some time in the late 1960s, early 1970s (can't mind exactly when), we all had to have name-tapes sewn onto our combats. But Fred's real surname was so long that it would've been halfway under his right arm, so when he got his combats back from the tailor, his name-tape said "Fred" too

MsG

We had a marvellous comrade from Ceylon (or Sri Lanka now) whose name was Wij****** M*****nadarajin, but everyone called him "Fred", even the officers, the razzman and SNCOs. At some time in the late 1960s, early 1970s (can't mind exactly when), we all had to have name-tapes sewn onto our combats. But Fred's real surname was so long that it would've been halfway under his right arm, so when he got his combats back from the tailor, his name-tape said "Fred" too

MsG
Bollocks, of the highest order,( As usual) his name may have run into many letters, but all soldiers name tapes are their given names, no exceptions, it may have been abbreviated, but the core name must still be known, as for "Fred" horse shit.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer

MsG
Liar

At 1st Armed Div. HQ & Sig Regt, we had a Sgt with a polish name, all consonants, no vowels, he was know as "Sgt A-Z" his name tape showed his full name. Totally un-pronounceable. (unless you're polish)

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
We had a trooper called Abdul the Turk at 15/19 KRH in Fally Admin Sqn. He didn't look like your average Geordie even though he was.
Was he still with the regiment at Lisanelly @AlienFTM ?
Dunno mate. I joined late in the Omagh tour. Outside of me troop I knew the squadron clerk, arms storeman (Kenny Statt RIP) SSM, OC, RSM and CO.