Why do British squaddies have such shyte nicknames?

Army nicknames are a celebration of each individuals unique characteristics; borne out of a healthy respect based on comradeship.
Whereas US one's are based upon a game of homoerotic one-upmanship

"Hi I'm Trojan"
"Howdy, I'm Gladiator. Fancy a drink tonight, I know a quiet little club?"

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
And this thread started by someone using the name The Poltroon! :rolleyes:

I remember my best ever boss, Rob. Never figured out why people would call him 'Staff'. I mean, wtf?
Was he a Pole? Or was he a Terrier?

My wife has a cousin who lives in Bedlington and who was in the TA. I've called him Bedlington Terrier for so long that I've forgotten his real name.

Could be worse. I believe that in the Australian Army everyone's called Johnno, Davo, Damo, Robbo, Jacko, Tommo, Sammo, Benno, Danno, Patto, Eddo, Matto, Zacko, Nicko or Peter.

Did anyone have a token black fella in their squadron? Did he have a nickname?
We had a Black warrant officer who took over as temporary RSM, I forget his surname but the previous RSM was WO1 White. unfortunately, someone had glued his nameplate to the door of the RSM's office and we couldn't remove it without damaging the door. (well that was our excuse)

During his tenure, we also had a black post NCO (S****e M*****d) his post bunk was under the RSM's office. Both had their windows open while two of us were lucky enough to be chosen to carry out some gardening before a big visit to camp.
S****e noticed that only one of us was digging the garden (we were burying all the leaves rather than fill the bins with them) and he enquired as to why only one of us appeared to be working.

I replied along the lines of 'we only have one spade if you know where we can get another spade from' and so on. I must have said spade a dozen times, S****e suddenly (and to my surprise) appeared incredibly angry, slammed his window shut, cracking the glass and didn't speak to either of us for days. It was only sometime later (possibly while watching blazing saddles) that I realised what had happened...
Funnily enough, his nickname was 'S****e' (it's not easy to pronounce 4 asterisks.)

Army nicknames are a celebration of each individuals unique characteristics; borne out of a healthy respect based on comradeship.
I never got why yours was "**** Prolapse" though?

We had a Black warrant officer who took over as temporary RSM, I forget his surname but the previous RSM was WO1 White. unfortunately, someone had glued his nameplate to the door of the RSM's office and we couldn't remove it without damaging the door. (well that was our excuse)

During his tenure, we also had a black post NCO (S****e M*****d) his post bunk was under the RSM's office. Both had their windows open while two of us were lucky enough to be chosen to carry out some gardening before a big visit to camp.
S****e noticed that only one of us was digging the garden (we were burying all the leaves rather than fill the bins with them) and he enquired as to why only one of us appeared to be working.

I replied along the lines of 'we only have one spade if you know where we can get another spade from' and so on. I must have said spade a dozen times, S****e suddenly (and to my surprise) appeared incredibly angry, slammed his window shut, cracking the glass and didn't speak to either of us for days. It was only sometime later (possibly while watching blazing saddles) that I realised what had happened...
Funnily enough, his nickname was 'S****e' (it's not easy to pronounce 4 asterisks.)
I got to the last line of that before I realised that he wasn't called Steve. I must be really innocent.

Was his real name Doug?

Why is the British Army full of unimaginative nicknames like Jonah, Smudge and Taff when the Yanks have ally sounding nicknames like Raptor, Viper and Maverick?
Having worked with the Yanks many times on Ops I have found they hardly, if at all, use nick names and it was always rank/trade abbreviation and surname (that goes for USMC, USCG, USN and US Army, never worked with USAF).

Did anyone have a token black fella in their squadron? Did he have a nickname?
There was Token, Chocs and Chocolate (that was they introduced themselves and wanted to be known by, by the way, not given by anyone else).

Before I transferred over to the Med branch back in my steward days on ships (pre 2000's) we had a deeth called shitty, a bent called izzee (also had a 'Gay' on the Fearless called izzee), an Ellis called Siff. All gen. Unfortunately shitty did not like his new pseudonym and made it well known, so of course everyone stopped referring to him as that name.....

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Could be worse. I believe that in the Australian Army everyone's called Johnno, Davo, Damo, Robbo, Jacko, Tommo, Sammo, Benno, Danno, Patto, Eddo, Matto, Zacko, Nicko or Peter.
Hello Bruce.