Why do British squaddies have such shyte nicknames?

One of my chaps was nicknamed 'n***er'.

No idea why, as he was a pasty faced, blonde lad.

Quite upsetting for any third party who overheard someone calling to him in public.

Edit; even the swear filter appears upset.

Did anyone have a token black fella in their squadron? Did he have a nickname?
We had an Indian in our company. His nickname was Jimmy.

D Coy had several people of various shades. One corporal was of Afro-Caribbean origin. Corporal Green.
They had another Corporal Green but he was of Anglo-Saxon stock. As a visitor, I never learned their Christian names but that wasn't an issue as they were always referred to as Corporals Light Green and Dark Green (in reverse order).

There seemed to be a lot of young officers called 'Rupert' :)
There were a lot of radio operators who worked under the pseudonym of "Roger". I knew them better as Trevor, Ronnie and George but I played along with their little game.

There were a lot of radio operators who worked under the pseudonym of "Roger". I knew them better as Trevor, Ronnie and George but I played along with their little game.
I thought the given nickname was "Sparks" but maybe that was only in the Andrew. :?

Why is the British Army full of unimaginative nicknames like Jonah, Smudge and Taff when the Yanks have ally sounding nicknames like Raptor, Viper and Maverick?
You're confusing 'nicknames' with Grindr accounts

Army nicknames are a celebration of each individuals unique characteristics; borne out of a healthy respect based on comradeship.

Whole problem starts very young

I remember my best ever boss, Rob. Never figured out why people would call him 'Staff'. I mean, wtf?

I remember my best ever boss, Rob. Never figured out why people would call him 'Staff'. I mean, wtf?
Maybe you're misremembering? Was his name actually Rod?

We've got a lad whose surname ends ...IED. He's known as Pressure Plate.