why do american politicians keep their former titles when kicked out of office?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Grumblegrunt, Nov 4, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

it crops up with the likes of jesse venture being referred to as governor in his tv show or president clinton, bush etc... when obviously they aren't.

more so with the current stuff over there as it makes 'governor' romney seem more important than he actually is. mind you they also call him a 'businessman' and I don't suppose many americans actually check.

2. Because they are (deliberately) the only titles conferred in the US, and they are (nearly always) for life.

3. Grumblegrunt

what's wrong with sticking EX in front of it?

good job we dont have such a thing, blair is bad enough as it is

4. An 'ex' Blair as in an ex parrot is a concept I can sign up to.

• Like Like x 1
  5. The Americans have little enough history as it is. Bill Bryon mentions the fact that some midland counties have more historic buildings than whole states in the US.

So if they can sneak a peerage in by the backdoor fair play to them.

Lets face it they have political dynasties already, Kennedies, Bushes, Clintons. Only reasonable that POTUS Bush should crown his son, and presumably POTUS Clinton should at some stage anoint Chelsea, unless Romanovich buys her up first.

For the rest of it, look at Hollywood, family trades going on there.

6. Carter and Bush1 didn't manage that feat, yet still are given that title.

7. Probably for the same reason as.....

Why do young British officers insist on keeping their former rank after being kicked out of the army ?

It crops up with the likes of Mark Phillips, still being referred to as Captain, at any horsie show he appears at... when obviously, after 35 years, he isn`t anymore.

Just adding Captain or Major to the name of any gentleman farmer makes them seem far more important than they actually are.

8. Grumblegrunt

I thought the military thing was linked to the old navy thing of being on half pay for life, ranked and promoted even if not actively serving.

9. No, the military thing is usually linked to being a fully paid up, self promoting, actively self serving nob, who`s entitled to keep the rank of ******, for life.

10. Yeah I mean just look at that Colonel Sanders bloke for a start.