Why do all the bargains come along at the wrong time?

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Tartan_Terrier, Dec 11, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Idly browsing the net this morning I found a beautiful Swedish M/94-14 carbine for 2000 DKR (about 230 GBP). Normally these go for about three times as much, so it is an absolute bargain. Unfortunately due to the combination of Christmas and the fact that I've yet to pay for my new (from 1946) Browning, I'm out of luck this time.

Riffel, HUSQVARNA M/ 1938, ... – dba.dk – Køb og Salg af Nyt og Brugt

I do however live in hope that the fact that he's listed it as an M/38 means that it'll still be for sale in January.......

I know, I'm an optimist.

T_T

2. First post on ARRSE - Just had to get in touch with you to let you know that the seller of this M38 is telling the truth - as thats exactly what it is - an M38! Its been altered to a lookalike M94/14 status. As soon as I saw the pictures I saw it for what it was and got in touch with my Swedish contact to verify this - he came back right away on this one and said the same thing. So hang onto your cash for now...a real carbine shall come around eventually ( along with an M41b Sniper perhaps!).

3. Really? I'm no expert on these, but I can't see what on Earth should be wrong with it. Please tell me what you mean?

4. Hi again,

I have a swedish m96 myself and have done a fair bit of reading up on the subject of these rifles and the attempts by various people to convert either the M96 or m38 to carbine status is well recognised. This is due to the fact that the carbines attract a higher premium. This rifle may look like a carbine but thats about as far as it goes I am afraid. The obvious giveaway is the fact that the finger grooves on the stock are too long with regards to the carbine model. The rear sights are still the M38 type and it also looks as if the receiver has been drilled and tapped for one of the numerous peep sights available for the M96 and M38 series. Whoever made this one up either had a spare bayonet boss and bar assembly for the front end available or perversly destroyed a real carbine in order to make this one ( go and figure that one out!).
    Then again maybe the seller knows the rifle for exactly what it is without describing it as a carbine, hence the price.

5. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I have the reference book on Swedish Mausers - I can check everything for you next week if you like.

6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Without an M38 to compare the grooves to I cant help, I do have an M94 without the 1914 bayonet mod! Even ropey ones go for about £5-600 over here!