Why did you leave/want to leave

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by Flip_Flop_the_Gog, Apr 9, 2002.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am due to join the sweaty ranks of the civilian population on 01 May, and at the moment the unemployed too.

A few of the chain of commnad have bothered to ask me why I am leaving after 11 years of service (apparantly with a promising career still ahead of me) but the system as a whole doesn't pay much attention.

Confident as I am that this excellent site which will one day be the first thing CGS and AG look at each morning perhaps those of you in the same boat as I should add a frank and accurate description as to why the Queens shilling has lost its attraction and perhaps some thrusting Staff Officer might stick it in some paper on retention and you never know, the message might get through to someone prepared to make a decision.

If not it is always good to have a purge.  Which reminds me, the American Army delight in ghastly greetings such as "Airborne Sir!" - "All the way soldier!", my offering for the British Army is " British Army Sir!" - " Purge away soldier!", any other possibilities? ??? ???

2. Well I'm thinking of quitting. I don't want to, but the chat is that I'm getting posted early to a non-deployable unit. In these days of mega divorce rates, does the Army want to lose a singlie who loves the Balkans?  Apparently so.

3. :mad:In the past I was involved in training for the Balkans for almost 2 years and I was always staggered by the appalling admin involved in sending people on operational tours.  Major units were fine but the treatment of individuals beggered belief.  I had a SSgt in the AGC call up for a place on a course, he was told to book it himself, he had been given 6 weeks notice of the tour and it meant that he had to cancel his honeymoon for his second marriage and lost joint custody of his child from his second marriage.  When he asked, in the light of his personal circumstances that he not go the Morale Countermeasures Division in Glasgow said no as we would only have to dick someone else.

When you then hear there is someone willing to go out there and is being prevented I am staggered.

If people are going to stay in the Army the MCM Divs need to listen more and take more trouble to support the desires of the individual.  I know we can't all be A stream and do punchy jobs but if someone says I wan't to remain in a specific area, especially an unpopular one, why shouldn't they.

Personally I think you are barking or do you just like interpreters????

4. The coffee is great, the slivo is cheap and you can't get decent cevapcici anywhere North of Zagreb.

Oh yes, and interpreters are cute too.

5. I too am to join the ranks of the Civ Div, why? here are but a few of the points
    money
    money
    money
    and oh money
    pay 2000 yeah right, really ok then.

plus as mentioned before family is a big issue why are things like the hive not as popular (and as well funded) here in uk as they are in Germany?

Plus everytime i so much look at a nig I get told to"leave them alone, they're only young" Weren't we all?

The army has changed too much, i am now forced to leave a job i once really whole heartedly enjoyed to go and earn more money in civ div,,,wonder why retention is a problem
    ???

6. Civvie street is great, believe it or not some youngster that you have working for you, you can beat the cr*p out of him cos he aint going to leave with no reference is he,plus if the whole firm thinks he a kn*b then who will back him up,,,,,,it's bally great, some youngseters have a whole world to find out about. Pity it aint in the mob nomore!

7. i left a few months ago, had an interview, medical and a few simple tests for the local fire brigade, ironic in it, have my training date put back because the mothers want to strike, might go to spain now cant wait, at least all the other guys will have a good time on the street of the uk

8. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I left after 13 years and with a reasonably promising career still ahead of me.

Reason my boss was a selfish lying twat. He used every other person and me in the sqn to further his own career at the expense of theirs.

When I was asked why I had not said anything before signing off I said I had but no one was listening!

Army sucks. I would not do the job for all the money in the bank of England. It is a thankless task with very little if any reward.

I feel sorry for the poor bastards who are off to fight and die in Iraq to make T. B. Lair popular at parties in Washington.

The only way to show those in charge that there is a problem is to get up and leave. Only when there is no one left to do the job will they sit up and take notice. Besides civi street is great. Can do what you want when you want and not have to get phucked about every five minutes, and get paid a decent salary for it too.

9. I left after 9 years with a War Disability Pension (not a bad feat at the age of 26). That was 7 years ago.

I have got to say that the first couple of years were a nightmare. Civi employers take the piss because they soon realise (no matter how intelligent that you think you are!) that they can say "jump" and that your natural instinct is to carry on jumping, long after everyone else has gone home, due to the hierarchical mindset that you have after leaving.

BUT!!, when you eventually get wise to this, you start to plot against the enemy (your boss) and apply some good old British Army nastiness to the situation.

I started gathering "intel" on his clients, got very pally with them and then pi**ed off to form my own company (CCTV by the way, if anyone was even in the remotest bit interested), taking 60% of those clients with me.

In the civi security industry (sorry grunts, not talking about security guards here!), having a military background is a golden key. Half of the big security consultants are ex military, the other half are ex coppers and there is big, big money in it (especially after sand monkey bin hidin pulled his little stunt)

As soon as you establish that you are ex mil (usually by turning up at meeting No 1 wearing a regimental tie), all discussions about the job in hand disappear. You then spend 2 hours talking about guns (that's what they are called when you are a civi), German whores, fighting, how crap the army is nowadays and beer.

The following 4 minutes is spent finalising the contract.

Whilst I would not now go back to being a squaddy (Starship Troopers says that I have earned my right to vote), I would never, ever say that my days in were wasted.

Taking the Queens Shilling can open a hell of a lot of doors for you in later life (and let a full screw drive a new Jag)

10. I left after 9 years with a War Disability Pension (not a bad feat at the age of 26). That was 7 years ago.

I have got to say that the first couple of years were a nightmare. Civi employers take the piss because they soon realise (no matter how intelligent that you think you are!) that they can say "jump" and that your natural instinct is to carry on jumping, long after everyone else has gone home, due to the hierarchical mindset that you have after leaving.

BUT!!, when you eventually get wise to this, you start to plot against the enemy (your boss) and apply some good old British Army nastiness to the situation.

I started gathering "intel" on his clients, got very pally with them and then pi**ed off to form my own company (CCTV by the way, if anyone was even in the remotest bit interested), taking 60% of those clients with me.

In the civi security industry (sorry grunts, not talking about security guards here!), having a military background is a golden key. Half of the big security consultants are ex military, the other half are ex coppers and there is big, big money in it (especially after sand monkey bin hidin pulled his little stunt)

As soon as you establish that you are ex mil (usually by turning up at meeting No 1 wearing a regimental tie), all discussions about the job in hand disappear. You then spend 2 hours talking about guns (that's what they are called when you are a civi), German whores, fighting, how crap the army is nowadays and beer.

The following 4 minutes is spent finalising the contract.

Whilst I would not now go back to being a squaddy (Starship Troopers says that I have earned my right to vote), I would never, ever say that my days in were wasted.

Taking the Queens Shilling can open a hell of a lot of doors for you in later life (and let a full screw drive a new Jag)

11. I've gotta ask, why has the word "whor*s" in my last post been replaced with "sleepers"??!!

Whor*s is an ancient complimentary term applied to Teutonic attendees of the local "Bop"!

12. and why did my post appear twice? Is this a conspiracy by the german snorers?

13. Too much internal wars between each other!!

And of course for money....... :p

14. Don't you lot know the Army is great.  Where do you get to go on exotic holidays to far away places, work for only three days of the week and still get extra time off, shot an outlawed weapon, visit places where ramblers only dream of, get a free uniform and get paid as well, and if you are a Para then you get to shoot inocent people into the bargain!!!!.

Last time I looked, Bosnia resembled Club 18-30, and people were more concerned about how p1ssed they were going to get or what sun tan factor was necessary

Now where in Civi Street would you get those opportunities?

"why do people get out of the Army?"  because they lack moral fibre  ;D ;D