Why did you join

Discussion in 'RLC' started by PLATAPUS, Aug 1, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a kind of random thought We were having a discussion and the question of why did you join up in the first place?
    Now not only just the Army, but why did you join the corp, I know some old gits will say I was forced into it from my former corp, but why did us youngsters join? there must have been a good advertisement or did the guy in the Army careers do a good job at selling, and finally are you happy with the job you were given?
    Your thoughts please
  2. Maybe the lack of replies, is highlighting the amount of Walts actually on ARRSE...
  3. Old Git!!!

I joined the RAOC and had two choices, merge into the RLC or feck off!!! :)
  4. So far back I'm fecked if I can pinpoint my motives for joining.
  5. Lets see,
    I wanted to be a medic - Recruiter told me there was a two year waiting list for RAMC, sod that, thank god cos first aid made me sleepy

I wanted to be a Marine Engineer and play with boats and stuff - recruiter told me that I could expect to wait for at least 9 months, again no

He told me that if I applied to be a Rad Op in the RLC I would be in in a few weeks, I would be a lance jack within 18 months and all the beautiful women of the world would want me to make love to them in my nice shiny RLC cap badge. I was 17, very stupid and really desperate to be in the Army, I went RLC.

It turned out to be the best thing I ever could have done, I was in within a few weeks. But that's as far as it went, no promotion and definately no hordes of babes. Granted I did leave after only 5 years but most of those 5 years were great, I just had a few problems with certain people in my unit.
    I also met some great people who I still keep in touch with some of them now. I also met the only woman in NATO who could make lightweights or combats look sexier than anything else on the planet. Anyone who guesses who I am will probably know who I'm on about.
  6. Left school, couldn't be bothered to look for a job, joined the army.
  7. Joined up in 88 wanting to be an infantryman live in a ditch and eat worms. My old man wouldn't sign the papers as I was only 15 at the time as he wanted me to get a 'trade'. Waited til my 16th and got into the RAOC Jnr Ldrs and forced into the RLC in 93. first 10 years were fantastic (on the whole). It's a poor cliche, but it is definately not the Army I joined.
  8. Left school was at a loose end....couple of mates above my year came home on leave.
    Went up the Streatham Lacarno dance......them in uniform,me in mufty.The women were all over them...I thought I'll have some of that.

Next day.....there i was Brixton Recruiting Office......demobbed 26 yrs later.
  9. Mid 80's Lancashire was a bleak place for someone who wasn't interested at school and blew their exams. College was equally boring. I got itchy feet and wanted to see a bit of the world, so joined the RCT via Junior Leaders. I did Germany, Belize, GW1, Balkans, 6 months working in Bavaria and most other European countries on adventure training. I left after I did my 12 years after back to back tours and poor promotion prospects go the better of me. The army sorted me out, gave me an education and the motivation to make something of myself after leaving. I do wish I'd got out before the back to back tours though as I then had to hang on till my 12 year point.
  10. Always wanted to join, and in 1985 the Judge thought it would be a great idea as well.
  11. It was without doubt the big bucks, natty clothes and international travel.
  12. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

For the easy money.
  13. To get a nice shiny badge!
  14. To stag on for the rest of my life like you always do at the bottom ranks of the RLC, oh and not forgetting picking up all the fags butts.
    Now I have got my commision I can make all the low lifes do it for me and sit and laugh at them through my office window whilst it is raining
  15. Ditto.....thought I would miss it all......no fecking chance