Why Did You Join?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Tastytoggle, May 1, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Maybe it's a bit of a personal question and you should be aware of persec if you answer, but why did you join?

I grew up in rural England, stable family background, but no great military history in either of my parent's lineage. Maybe it was the old boy next door who I talked to when I was very young. He had to smoke his pipe outdoors and he had a gammy leg which he said some bloke called Johnny Turk had give him in a fight at Gallipoli. I read war comics and all the good stuff about Robin Hood, King Arthur and Nelson. F*ck, I was proud to be British and everybody stood for the national anthem. I grew out of it a bit as a teenager, but having started work in retail sales, I quickly realized it wasn't what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. I was too old then to join the JLR, so I had to wait until the day after my 17th birthday to attest. I went to the Recruit Selection Centre at Sutton Coldfield and at the end of the 3 days, I was more confused than ever. I just wanted to be a hero and serve my Queen and country. I never considered a trade or a career, or a particular regiment, or the money or a pension, or anything like that. Maybe that's not enough to get in nowadays. I just loved being challenged and right throughout I harboured an unfailing faith that I was doing exactly what I was supposed to be doing. I was always particularly proud of my army family though, I still am. Perhaps I was just mentally challenged! Perhaps you need to be a bit daft to join up voluntarily. What about you? What's your story?

2. To get to "do" things with guns, to emulate soldiers I had read about in books, to shoot guns and, and this was the clincher..... they'd actually pay me to do this as well. I'd have done it for free.

Proud to have taken the Kings Shilling.

Father in the RAF, Grandfathers in the RNAS & RN and other relatives in the Army, RN and RAF.

3. The ship yard in my home town where everyone who wanted a trade went was going belly up
    My brother was on holiday at her Majesty's hotel in Durham (only YO)
    And I knew if I didnt get out of the one horse town i'm from i'd be in there with him.
    Non of my family had served but I think my mum was just glad i'd got a job (and still have)

4. Bored with civvy life, fully qualified mechanic and no real challenges.
    Looked around at what could add a little more exitement to my life and also offered a decent(ish) pension.
    Saw the advert with big tanks and thought "I'm having some of that".
    Went through process and was coerced into joining REME, ten years of fun and hard graft.

5. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

May sound daft and childish, but I remember watching the footage of the 2 R Sigs guys at that IRA funeral. Pure and simple I wanted revenge.

6. The pen is mightier than the sword.

7. Was in cadets,seemed good fun.Father bought home some ex squaddie to try and talk me out of it.Trouble was,the more he talked about it,the more I wanted to join.Joined AAJLR when I was 16.

8. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Can't remember King Arthur wielding a Banner Biro instead of Excalibur, but I think I know where your coming from.

9. I was rejected by the Salvation Army and the RAF was the next best thing.

10. i failed the test for the Navy and the ACO was next door

11. Poison dart pen

12. It came in a different spot, at Drumnakilly that August. Here's to those fine gentlemen who were involved :salut:

13. I joined for all the breakfast cereal multipacks, sachets of sugar / salt / pepper, jars of marmalade / jam / Lipton T-bags (gash) and HP sauce that's so easy to "aquire" from warship dining halls!!

Free bog roll as well :D

14. I joined because i wanted a great demob suit when i left, but they never gave me one

15. "I wanted to be the first kid on my block to get a confirmed kill"