Why did you join up?

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Gas Gas Gas, Aug 3, 2002.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What was it?  The girls? The leather?  The Machismo?
    (With apologies to Douglas Adams & The Hitch Hiker's Guide)

I was wondering what made you first take the "Queen's Shilling".  Was it:

To serve God, Queen and Country?
    To see the world?
    To get a trade or skill?
    To follow in a family tradition?
    To do something different from your friends or family?
    or something else?
  2. for me - I joined the TA because I wanted a challenge.
    I wanted to show that I could be just as good as the boys.
    I failed miserably on the fitness side of things but I'm not too bad with a shooter! ;)
  3. Oo-er SB!

If I subscribe to any of HM's forces it'll be because I've spent 5 years working in IT, sat at a desk all day and am jealous of all these people who work outside in the wet and cold (no seriously I am).  Also the idea of working for a non-profit driven system also appeals.
  4. My family had had a male in my regiment since the Crimea, so, that was one reason.

...and it looked an excellent laugh, by and large, it has been :)
  5. Oh yes  - a definate laugh. Especially watching you navigate a root ridden slope on a NAVEX  he he :D :D :D
  6. Oh hahahaha  :mad:

Not sure which was funnier, me tearing the arse out of my DPM's or you losing all your decourm doubled up and screaming with laughter and saying you couldn't carry on, because you think you might have ruptured summat from laughing so hard.

Still it was funny.....

Leeeeeeeaveeeee my laaaaaaaaammmmmbs alonnnne lolololol ;D
  7. This was the thing I was least crap at. It also doesn't matter how good you are you still get the same pay so you don't need to work hard. The arrse licker next to you will always get promoted first..
  8. I still ask myself daily why I joined up !!, and I still haven't come up with a decent enough answer !...pathetic I know !! ;D
  9. Queen and country, what other possible reason could there be (apart from all the fit blokes.)
  10. Travel the world, meet people then kill them. What, something wrong with that?
    • Like Like x 1
  11. CGS

CGS War Hero Moderator

Because I never knew what I wanted to do at the time.  

And of course, the inheritance depended upon it...
  12. I thought I'd volounteer before I got my callup papers
  13. Captain_Crusty

Captain_Crusty War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

Didn't want a job which involved sitting behind a desk pushing paperwork. How naive...

Still the adventure training, sport and mess life have been well worth it!
  14. Serving Queen and Country and all that.

"behind enemy lines, capture, torture, escape and then back home in time for tea and medals"

Well it seemed like a good idea at the time!
  15. I joined for a dare.

Well, I started the process for a dare, with absolutely no intentions of taking it seriously. However, I was seduced by the promise of lots of adventure training and tales of derring do, and in the end joined up, thinking I was going to be a soldier, fight in wars etc etc...yeah, right....