Votes: 0 0.0%
  • To prepare for TA Commission

• To prepare for Reg Commission

• No reason

• Total voters
Wish i hadn't it was a waste of time and taught me very little. On the plus side the beer was cheap, but it was full of ridiculously keen army people who were never going to join for real and so went massively out of their way to be uber warry for a weekend.

Cheap drink, good mates, loads of sports, some good warrie stuff and women to die for! Obviously there were quite a few hippacrocapigs but some of the birds at the recruiting stand when I was a fresher.. Still think about them now on EX in the wanking maggot.

Because it had the only Pipe Band at the University, and I wanted to keep playing the bagpipes.

Granted, I'd been a pad rat, and gone to an ...interesting... educational establishment ("For the sons of Scottish Soldiers, Sailors, and Airmen"), so the military side held no apprehension.

As time went on, I was doing progressively less Piping and more green stuff, until I went for a TA commission (three of us from the Pipe Band that year; two to line infantry, one to TA Para Reg).

For those who might, err, knock Pipe Bands - or "interesting" Forces schools - I know of two regular Lt.Cols (one REME, one Inf) who did more or less the same thing.....one of whom was in the AUOTC Pipe Band that won the World Championships in their grade.

Meeting people, cheap booze, ski trips, sports, a hell of a lot better than working in some shitty bar! Plus i get paid to have fun with my mates - cant ask for more than that!

Beer, rugby, skiing and to shed a little light on what I had decided to do with my life. Not many chicks in Wales Army Club

joined to meet different people, get out and do some phys, beer and get paid intothe bargain!

Meeting people, the training, the promise of amazing holidays (AT). That nice feeling of not having totally wasted a weekend even though i'm muddy and tired.

Can't say anything for the girls who were recruiting when I joined up but some of the ones we've got now are great.

Oh and getting paid is nice too.

Now where did I put my income tax claim forms...

At 0300 in the snow, I sort of wonder myself.

It boils down to finding some good mates, cheap booze, fit lassies who will **** yoooooo hard (allegedly... I have yet to find out) and the feeling of acomplishment you get when you know you have done something that none of your slacker uni mates have, even if they can never understand why you do it.

Also because 95s go with my eyes. :roll:

Well at the time it was preparing for Reg Commission - but subsidised beer, flirtatious women and drinking games were all bonuses.

Early morning drunken staggers, tabbing in pissing rain, being shouted at - hurrraaaahhh! ...... what more could a body ask for.......

As it turned out changed from the Reg path - but did contnue with TA commission - and all those hours of practice propping up the bar stood me in good stead.

8)

A bird in v. tight oliver green trousers with a fantastic arrse (like that - humour! Drew some from stores) asked me too. Just wanted to walk behind her for a bit... sad aint it?

it was probably dreams of distant shores in the future (who am I kidding, pre-Tony death in northern ireland was the limited outlook for aspiring junior officers). whatever the reasons you join for, I imagine it is rarely the reasons you stay, mates, training (even in rain), the habit, the parties, and the potential of the one wocdt in junior year without an std.

i certainly know from recruiting that when you tell freshers how good it is they don't believe you anyway. Until you've done it survival exercises on brecon, patrolling through p..s wet field sin the middle of the night and of course the joys of gunnery, you really can't understand how enjoyable it is.

oh, getting paid to ski!

Ah! How naive I was - I turned up at the Fresher's Fair at my uni and went straight to the OTC stall. I asked 'How much is it to join?' and the reply was 'Nothing! We pay YOU!'

I signed there and then. It's been a rollercoaster ever since (but pay me they did!).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
3 The NAAFI Bar 75
MOANING_BARSTEWARD The NAAFI Bar 305
polar69 Army Reserve 39