Why did you join the Infantry?

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Chris1994, Feb 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey im just wondering what reasons people had to join the Infantry (or anything eles in the Army) , What spurred you on?

Thanks.

2. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

I wanted to see combat. Sounds childish, well I suppose it is childish, but it's the bald truth.

3. Did you say that in your interviews ecr.. whilst joining up?

4. Something i always wanted to do. Get in to the action.

5. Seemed like a good idea at the time :D

6. Joining the army and NOT joining the Infantry is a bit like joining the RAF and not being a pilot.

Everything and everybody else in the army is there to support the Infantry.

Queen's Regiment was my County Regiment.

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Really and honestly?
    Because Maggie had put 3 million on the dole to sort out old labours mess (not true but not too far from) and the army was full and able to offer kids with 4 O levels J Ldrs places in the county regt or go Pioneer corps which is why you are/were taken to the station afterwards individually rather than someone working it out and making a fuss!
    That said and looking back despite all the being knobbed about it certainly turned me into a man!

8. Because joining the army was all I had ever wanted to do, and being in the infantry is what "real" soldiering is all about. The Royal Hampshire Regiment was my local regiment. Although I later transferred into RMP I do not regret having been an infanteer at all.

9. A very valid point but no doubt they'll be plenty of others saying, sod being a cannon fodder I want a trade :roll:

Combat, simples! join the Army to fight

Many seem to forget we train first & foremost as a soldier when the s**t hits the fan :wink: but everyone's reasons are their own, I first applied for recy/mech due to previous employment but after doing research the Infantry (Scots Div)

10. "To close with and kill the enemy". Is there another reason?
    If you can't march, shoot and dig you are second string.

11. ^ That.

12. I joined for the pay.

13. I joined for the smart mess kit.

14. Patriotism.