Why did you join the army?

Discussion in 'Officers' started by Tyr_Akan, Feb 7, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, just in case this question was asked already i am sorry, but i wanted to know why other people join or wants to join the army and not just any army but THE BEST - THE BRITISH ARMY.

I was watching Band of Brothers Episode 7 The Breaking Point and an officer (lieutenant)asked a Sargent why he join the airborne and he said it was because he read that they were the best at what they did. Well, for the last couple of months i have increase my love for the army and decided i wanted to join the British Army because they where simply The Best.
    I rather know that i am out fighting and the best solider is next to me and not some youngster who is after a $50,000 Entry Bonus (this is offer to many soldiers in the us army). The one main reason i want to join the British army, is to be the best or one of the best at what i do, plus my love for the army and things military.

So i know why i want to join. I just want to know what drive or drives other people to join.

2. Not the best at spelling anyway, Sargent???????? I joined for the money, it's best I can get with the qualifications I have. Sorry!

3. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

I joined because I had to.

There was a little voice in my head that said join.

It is called a vocation, and 200+ years of family history!

4. I joined because it was either the Army or a one way trip to Australia.....no wait thats wrong!

5. Along the same lines - and probably answers your question....

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=41852.html

Edited to add this, which is just about bang on. The wisdon of AS (from the same thread):

6. I joined because I couldn't face the idea of sitting in an office from my nineteenth birthday until I died.

I stayed because it was bloody marvelous. Not once did I wake up thinking "Oh no I have to go to work today"

Until... they gave me a semi-staff job at Captain. Preening me for a great future... in a bloody office. It's the sad truth of an officer career... you can look at 2 years with troops as Major and 2 at Lt Col if you make it. So I left... and in every job ever since I've had bouts of "Oh no I have to go to work today."

Join. Have fun. Be the best... and try not to think when they convince you that you're the best equipped. If you can work out what to do after your carrer, to keep life perfect, let me know.

7. I was 15, started to get into trouble with the police and decided thats not what I wanted. I visited all 3 recruiting offices and the army was the first to take me (you can enlist in the last couple of months of your 15th year in Scotland) went into the Engineers and never looked back.

If I had my time over again, I do it all again.

8. Went into a bar, got drunk and ended up with a tatoo, a sore arrse and in uniform. Always regret the tatoo.......

9. because working in an office was crap - as I write this from an office. Oh arrse.

No career that any of my peers got involved in holds a candle to what I do. The career being the main part. My mates from home float between firms and are still trying to work out what they should do with their lives and they are nearly 30. I have a career, a pension, apparently a future and also skills that my mates would have to go on courses to apparently learn which I learned on the job and under pressure.

Oh and chicks dig a uniform and scars.

10. career
    travel
    professional advancement
    family tradition
    pension

in that order (but only for today, tomorrow all change)

11. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Eh... just a quick question. Where are you from? 'Cause it doesn't sound like the UK.

12. This is a wah, no?

13. To avoid like the plague being an NHS GP.

14. I'm from a commonwealth country.

15. I am going to join because of family tradition. Also because, I grew up on army bases, Im a cadet at the moment and really cant wait to join up!!

Jamie