Why did you join the army & why did you leave?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Yoko85, Mar 6, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well I'm sat here bored (as usual) at work counting down the days until I start phase one (21st April) and wondering "Why do people join the army?"

I had two uncles in the army and decided at a young age after hearing all their stories that I wanted a piece of it too. I somehow got stuck into an office job and decided that it’s a monotonous lifestyle which I thoroughly hate, I want some adventure and to experience things the majority of civilians don’t. I'm 22 years old.

So, why did you join, and while we're at it, why did you leave?

2. I'm pretty sure there is a thread about this lurking some where around here already..
  3. I thought there might be, I did have a quick search but it was'nt working :(
  4. I tell you what Yoko, why don't you tell us why you joined your current employer and what made you change your mind and join the Army?
  5. I joined through an agency after leaving school with an interest in computers and programming, became a programmer and found out its underpaid, undervalued (like the army you could say!!) but what’s more, it’s extremely boring. In 5 years I've gone from loving computers to hating it and the whole office worker lifestyle with passion.
  6. To avoid the jail. Left beacuse I was fed up going to jail!
  7. :lol: :lol: :lol:
  8. Strange first post Yoko, despite having two uncles in the Army. Who were they with?

wiff of journolistic flair here methinks
  9. One was Royal Vet Corps and the other was Blues and Royals.

Not too sure what you mean by "journolistic flair"...
  10. Take a trip around ARRSE, you'll pick it up :)
  11. Everyone warned me against it,so I thought it must be a good idea!
  12. Me old man was in the army and I saw what it had to offer. Also, at the time, there was nothing in Sunderland apart from prison or Nissan!

I haven't left, because then I would have to start working for a living! :D
  13. I saw an advert with a guy windsufing in the Bahamas and walking on a beach with a lovely chick on his arm and thought Thats the life for me

14. Isn't frank the annoying 'talk to frank' thing on the tv concerning drugs?

Was the chick on his arm a crack whore