Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why did you join the Army? Do you feel it was worth it? Where did it take you blah blah blah...

My choice after leaving school was either turn right and join the Army, or turn left and probably end up in prison.
Oh, and having my old man as RSM of the regiment may have had a bit to do with it.....

Interesting that your dad being an RSM didn't succeed in putting you off the army. Do you think it helped you to be a soldier or made no difference?

TheSnake

Clanker
Interesting that your dad being an RSM didn't succeed in putting you off the army. Do you think it helped you to be a soldier or made no difference?

It made me rebel a bit when i was in my teens, to the point of going off the rails.
As I said, it was either the Army or convictions in the end.
During basic at JLR, word got around, and the pressure to succeed was immense. My Troop Leader was disappointed that i only passed out as a J/Cpl.
Getting to my Regiment, i expected the same pressure, but it never came. I just trundled along with the flow.
So I think that it made no difference at all really.

Last edited:

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I had a father who was a Wing Commander, an uncle as a Squadron Leader and another Uncle as a Snowdrop, I thought "ficke das fur ein soldaten spiel" and promptly joined one of only two Royal Corps' in the Army. The other being Transport. Started as an A/T at AAC Harrogate, Scott Squadron, went to Catterick, Osnabruck and Munster and then jacked it in. After six months as a civvy, I realised where I went wrong and re-enlisted. Between tours of Ireland, Cyprus, Falklands, GW1, Kosovo, Bosnia and a spell at MCTC, I managed to get two German birds pregnant, burn a Sergeants mess and drop a flag pole on the CO's car. I loved every minute of it and would do it all again if me knees and back could hack it!

Last edited:

Latest Threads