Why did you choose RAC?

Discussion in 'RAC' started by Sir Oracle, Nov 28, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi there,

I'd just like to ask, what made you guys join the RAC in the first place, over infantry? I'm getting more and more interested in joining the Cav, but I can't put my finger on exactly why, as Infantry does seem to be a more likely option with regards to deployments, fitness etc to a casual observer (though, undoubtedly, not to someone in the RAC). I'd like to find out more about the relative benefits of the Cavalry.

What was it that attracted you to join the RAC rather than the infantry? Are you glad you did so?

2. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

Simple, it was cheaper than the AA.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Dashing uniforms and champagne, mostly.

4. I've been in both. I'd go Infantry every time if I had my chance again.

5. Why is that?

6. Big gun, big diesel engines. What more does a boy need?

Plus of course the role of cavalry is to bring style and panache to what would otherwise be an ugly brawl.

• Like Like x 2
  7. This is just my personal experince but I found it more enjoyable all round in the Infantry partly because you work with a slightly bigger group of people in a platoon than you do in a troop. On a wider scale there was good variety in terms of mortars and Recce (never got to do anti-tank) in the Infantry. Eventually I learnt signals to a decent standard (B3, B1 then Instructor) so did ok in terms of role. Ended up first in an Inf Bn HQ then on transfer was a Control Signaler in a RAC RHQ.Another factor, that I dont want to make a big deal of because I dont want to start a class war, is that I found the Infantry officers generally better to work with. Less side to them. I was just happier as an Infantryman personally.

8. It's all about the obvious class divides and the buggery.

Personally I enjoyed both.

Baaaaaaaahhh!!!

• Like Like x 2
  9. No vacancies in JLR Royal Engineers when I wanted to join up, lots of spaces in JLR RAC - even then I didn't know the difference between Cav/RTR so went for my local Regiment (2 RTR) and never regretted it.

10. I liked the people, I liked the role, I liked the location and at the time it seemed to offer the best opportunities. In terms of role, it is the speed of armoured and combined arms operations (and training) that I always found particularly attractive.

If I'd joined at about the time things were getting meaty in Afghanistan, I may well have joined the infantry instead. If I were joining now (with 2014 and the Afghanistan drawdown in sight), I would consider both the RAC and the infantry. Personally I was never really that interested in joining any of the other parts of the army, but that is not to say you shouldn't at least consider them.

11. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

My recently widowed mother trained to be a History teacher. Durham Wargames Group were invited to demonstrate an Ancient, a Napoleonic and a Second World War wargame on consecutive Wednesday (iirc) evenings, presumably to demonstrate the history of warfare. After the first one she asked if the teenage Alien Minor might attend. At the WW2 game I was allowed to command the only Tiger on the battlefield. The rest, aptly enough, is History.

Shame The Regiment were in the throes of converting to Recce when I joined, but on balance I think I'd have preferred Recce over Armour anyway.

12. A higher class of extra duties in the Cav', manning fences at point to point, treading in the divots at polo weekends, and of course a much nicer selection of ok ya totty to ogle at the orificers mess summer balls-up.

Been both and enjoyed both, but the RAC just snatches the prize in terms of job satisfaction and roles.

13. Ah yes, the polo weekends. One on occasion I was up at Bredebeck on stag watching over the pitch and horses when a certain young Troopy appeared (IIRC might have been one of yours RM) and insisted he would re-mark the whole pitch ready for that day's game. We insisted he shouldn't as he was totally wankered and could barely stand, still dressed in black tie. He managed to fill the line machine and proceed to paint the wonkiest line ever, that bared no resemblence to the orginal. It was like a scene from a farce. :)

When one of the Sqn Ldrs came down, he went beserk because we didn't stop the troopy from ruining the pitch. He got us to scrub all the white-wash away with buckets and brooms.

Cav! You really couldn't make it up!

14. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

OFF ON A TANGENT ALERT

I'd been out of the army a handful of years (out of the cavalry for a decade and a bit) and was consulting with BT in Old Street in the City. Couple of their staff were Stabs and in an office full of civvies, I got on well with these two. One was RE. He'd been invited to Sandpit 1 some time around Granby (before, during or after I forget). He was tasked with using a new-fangled GPS to map out the billiard table desert. every Km intersection, he placed a 45-gallon oil drum marked "You are here" and a 10-figure grid reference, to aid the troops in their map reading.

14/20H were invited to the party in their brand new Challenger tanks, which came with a GPS. They went on a scheme. Troopy pulls up at a 45-gallon oil drum, compares the grid reference with his own GPS and mutters, "Bloody engineers have parked this oil drum 400m metres from where it says it is. Useless" and he has his crew drag the oil drum to where HE thinks it should be. 600m away he sees another oil drum. Can you see where this is going yet?

Next day my mukker gets the mother of all bollockings because all his oil drums are 400m out. They get to the bottom of the problem and troopy gets a lesson in how to recalibrate his GPS when he moves his tank halfway around the world.

I suppose it's a variation on the old one about "an officer with a map being the most dangerous thing in the world", coupled with "It takes a computer to really screw things up,"

Maybe you had to be there.