Why Did We Join The Army?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by f_r_e_a_k_i, Mar 11, 2006.

1. DPM brings out the blue in your eyes

2. The Army careers advisor clubbed you over the head and dragged you into the back office

3. The RAF advisor had nipped out to Mc Donalds

4. The RN advisor stroked your leg as he tried to sign you up

5. You thought that Sennybridge mud would be good for your skin

6. You liked the idea of working with children (for those at an R. Sigs Unit)

7. You weighed under 14 stones so the RAF was not an option

8. I'm a soldier? Since when? I wondered why they keep shouting at me...?

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. With an subject heading like this i feel that i should explain myself..........

I am interested in our individual reasons for choosing the Army rather than the RN, RM or RAF.

I've listed a few in the poll but if you want to share you reason for choosing the Army feel free to post below........................
  2. Easy the RAF wouldnt have me and I get seasick
  3. Bellbottoms stopped me going to the Navy, and the seasickness.
  4. Who bloody well joined, I was dragged into the army kicking and screaming, who the hell wanted to go to war for a £1.00 a week.
  5. I joined the Army because I'm a fourth generation Squaddie (true) and i'm truly honoured to wear the uniform of this great nation of ours against all evils.... oh and when i left school, that Tw@t Thatcher was in the process of shutting down all the fookin Pits..had me name down since I was 14 aswell - B*tch!
  6. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

I didnt want to wear a dress in the Navy.
  7. Joined the Navy where one worked 7 days a week on ship on a 2 year commisssion with a year of that away and limited leave. After 2 commissions I was posted to an Army unit where, unless one was on exercise or ops, it was a 4 and half day week with every Wednesday sports afternoon, every night if one wished on the town, every weekend off. [If your wondering about guards or duties, I think I only ever did half a dozen as an OR over many years. Even in the Far East/Middle East/Near East it was tropical routine [7.30 'till 1] and a doddle. Agreed that that was in the '50's/60's when generally life was a lot easier but needless to say I knew which side my bread was buttered on and never went back to the RN.
  8. I came from a military family. Since I was 8 I wanted the army and nothing else. I didn't even know that there were other jobs. I thought everybody joined the army then went on to do whatever.

Ho hum.
  9. 17 years on and I'm still asking myself that question.
  10. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Just 'cos.

Is there any other reason? I doubt it.
  11. Military family, Cadets, Commando War comics, John Wayne, I'm a pillock...
  12. I am as thick as mince me and was too dense to go to college or indeed take any further education so it was either this, or get a job working as a council officer or a journalist.
    I chose the Army as I have a violent temperament and love to hurt things. I also have a pre-disposition for being told what to do as I cant think for myself.

Does that fit your template?......................its what a lot of civvies think.
  13. Well obviously for me, there was the whole uniform thing and what with my low self esteem and small genitalia, what else was there?
  14. I did 5and a half years due to 7 generations before me giving there service, if Iran kicks off I will sign back on
  15. I thought I was in the queue for the chip shop, by the time I got to the counter I was too embarrassed to leave. :lol: