Why Did We Join The Army?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by f_r_e_a_k_i, Mar 11, 2006.

?
  1. DPM brings out the blue in your eyes

22.0%
  2. The Army careers advisor clubbed you over the head and dragged you into the back office

12.8%
  3. The RAF advisor had nipped out to Mc Donalds

9.8%
  4. The RN advisor stroked your leg as he tried to sign you up

4.9%
  5. You thought that Sennybridge mud would be good for your skin

6.7%
  6. You liked the idea of working with children (for those at an R. Sigs Unit)

5.5%
  7. You weighed under 14 stones so the RAF was not an option

11.6%
  8. I'm a soldier? Since when? I wondered why they keep shouting at me...?

26.8%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. With an subject heading like this i feel that i should explain myself..........

I am interested in our individual reasons for choosing the Army rather than the RN, RM or RAF.

I've listed a few in the poll but if you want to share you reason for choosing the Army feel free to post below........................

2. Easy the RAF wouldnt have me and I get seasick

3. Bellbottoms stopped me going to the Navy, and the seasickness.

4. Who bloody well joined, I was dragged into the army kicking and screaming, who the hell wanted to go to war for a £1.00 a week.

5. I joined the Army because I'm a fourth generation Squaddie (true) and i'm truly honoured to wear the uniform of this great nation of ours against all evils.... oh and when i left school, that Tw@t Thatcher was in the process of shutting down all the fookin Pits..had me name down since I was 14 aswell - B*tch!

6. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

I didnt want to wear a dress in the Navy.

7. Joined the Navy where one worked 7 days a week on ship on a 2 year commisssion with a year of that away and limited leave. After 2 commissions I was posted to an Army unit where, unless one was on exercise or ops, it was a 4 and half day week with every Wednesday sports afternoon, every night if one wished on the town, every weekend off. [If your wondering about guards or duties, I think I only ever did half a dozen as an OR over many years. Even in the Far East/Middle East/Near East it was tropical routine [7.30 'till 1] and a doddle. Agreed that that was in the '50's/60's when generally life was a lot easier but needless to say I knew which side my bread was buttered on and never went back to the RN.

8. I came from a military family. Since I was 8 I wanted the army and nothing else. I didn't even know that there were other jobs. I thought everybody joined the army then went on to do whatever.

Ho hum.

9. 17 years on and I'm still asking myself that question.

10. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Just 'cos.

Is there any other reason? I doubt it.

11. Military family, Cadets, Commando War comics, John Wayne, I'm a pillock...

12. I am as thick as mince me and was too dense to go to college or indeed take any further education so it was either this, or get a job working as a council officer or a journalist.
    I chose the Army as I have a violent temperament and love to hurt things. I also have a pre-disposition for being told what to do as I cant think for myself.

Does that fit your template?......................its what a lot of civvies think.

13. Well obviously for me, there was the whole uniform thing and what with my low self esteem and small genitalia, what else was there?

14. I did 5and a half years due to 7 generations before me giving there service, if Iran kicks off I will sign back on

15. I thought I was in the queue for the chip shop, by the time I got to the counter I was too embarrassed to leave. :lol: