Why did they replace the slr?

My dad is an ex para and he is always going on about the old days and how the slr could stop anything amd how the sa80 is inferior to it, yet when i ask him why they replaced it, he hasnt got an answer so why did they replace it with the sa80?

Bullpup design is very compact in comparison to the 'bang stick.'

Carry more ammo as 5.56mm being considerable lighter.

Fully automatic capability.

To name but a few obvious reasons I can guess.

Same as the replaced the the musket with the rifle 303 with the SLR more modern weapon put it in context with mobile phones the first ones were huge and heavy

Because killing people is no longer politically correct, 5.56 is designed to just sting 'n make them cry. This is more effective at removing enemy combatants from the battlefield as it takes an extra 2 baddies to administer the group hug.

Because they realised that if we had 'em then the other side would need 'em and the universe just couldn't handle that much awesome.

caus we needed to giv 'em to de west side boyz caus dey is nails mon.

Because it was getting as old and worn out as half the membership of this site.

S

syledis

If Chuck Norris has an SLR in the Expendables2 there is a good chance i will have a sex wee in my pants

If Chuck Norris has an SLR in the Expendables2 there is a good chance i will have a sex wee in my pants
Sorry mate, you'll have to save it for the school gates in September.

500px-Mercenarios2_13.jpg

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
They were binned and replaces with the SA80 for one simple reason...

To give the old farts on this site something to moan about.

My dad is an ex para and he is always going on about the old days and how the slr could stop anything amd how the sa80 is inferior to it, yet when i ask him why they replaced it, he hasnt got an answer so why did they replace it with the sa80?
Your dad's a wise bloke.

Basically, the yanks had many tons of 5.56mm ammo left over after loosing 'narm so they applied pressure on us to take it from them. Hence us creating a rifle to use 5.56mm. If the yanks had used the SLR, or some other version of the FN FAL, they would have easily "whooped charleees arse" instead.

because Chuck Norris started to fancy owning a slr...the authorities quickly realised that that amount of combined awesomeness couldn't be contained ,so it had to go.

caus we needed to giv 'em to de west side boyz caus dey is nails mon.
Who?? the organisation was called the 'West Side Niggers'. The 'West Side Boyz' is what the pussies and ******* in the FCO decided we could call them so we didn't 'offend' anyone

S

syledis

Not another ******* SLR thread. How long untill 'why did we replace the L85'...or maybe not in these economic climates.
Ok then lets have an LMG thread, but the proper LMG , not the Nappy wearing, sissy boy , skipping rope with pink handles new one!!