Why Did They Replace Condensed Milk in Tubes?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by chimera, Aug 20, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

I thought that since we have done the SLR/SA80 to death, the old farts could discuss the halcyon days of 1970s 24hr Ration packs.......
  2. I don't care, I thought it was wonderful. Nearly as good as the small tins of smoked cheese. How chaps manage today without I can't imagine.
  3. This: Spot on Ratty!
  4. Oi. Seasoned cold war veterans with the bestest rations any squaddie ever scoffed,if you don't mind. We've got medals and evryfing. Now, will I have to leave my bacon grill and cheese possessed, to have another word?
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Carnation
    Milk in tubes, fill yer boots.
  6. The condensed milk in tubes was included so that you could plug the holes in the white biscuits, which prevented the runny jam in the other tube from leaking through onto the slidex folder that one used as a plate....
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Mmmmmm, but a 1 lb tube? A Big Primula is 1/2lb - can anyone take so much sugary loveliness?
  8. They make small tubes, Tesco sells them.
  9. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

• Like Like x 1
  10. You know those 10 man rat packs (or 4 man), did anyone manage to get the two babies heads out of the tin without trashing one, or both?
  11. And I buys 'em. Simply cannot be beaten for seasoning a brew when out in the sticks on a day long walk, beating, fishing or whatever.
  12. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

I miss the tins of Apricot Pudding. Sheer, sheer bliss.

Even without custard.

But you can stick tins of Chicken Supreme where the sun doesn't shine. Vile beyond words.
  13. Spangles and oatmeals blocks.
  14. Does anyone remember the chocolate that was called emergency chocolate or something? It was pure cocoa and was supposed to be rendered down into a drink, **** it was impossible to eat. but I did like the tin which held 4or5 bars of tiffin and the space left in the tin had hard boiled sweets, I liked the green ones me.
  15. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Why did they change the compo? Well in about 1980 or 81 there were a whole load of changes made, many were cash led such as ditching kit that wasnt used such as flasher macs, 2nd pair of barrack dress trousers etc and also rationalising the compo from 6 menus to 4 menus. This allowed them to bring them up to date which is accountancy speak for doing away with the nice bits. Sadly we still managed to get years worth of dodgy chocolate bars where the sugar was leaching out put in still.
    The sundries pack was updated in the main.
    I do seem to recall the older lads talking about having never had compo in the UK in 24 hr packs, all cooking being section level at the lowest then the A to F menus arrived (sometime mid 1960's) and it was great for a few years.
    When I left the regs and joined the TA it was the same but in reverse, Woody and Hippy will confirm, we had almost always centralised cooking on company exercises and if you wanted to survive you brought along your own scoff. Scabby Jack and the CQMS reputedly owning a sweet shop in Hastings which is why we never got the tinned C&S ever!