Why did the English wear redcoats

Discussion in 'The Lamp and Sandbag II - The Tall Story Strikes B' started by Spanish_Dave, Apr 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

and I dont mean at Butlins either :)
  2. because the french had already chosen blue...
  3. I can feel a very funny joke regarding a captured English Colonel during the Napoleanonic wars but I cant be arsed writing it out.............Someone else will find it I am sure.
  4. Prior the English Civil war various coloured coats were worn.
    The beginning of "standardisation" came with the Parliamentary New Model Army who introduced red frock-coats for the infantry. I'm not sure that Red was chosen for any better reason than in those days, with tactics what they were and battlefield visibility what it was, red was highly visible and enabled commanders to see where there troops were.

When some units of the Parliamentary army were incorporated into the regular army on the Restoration of the Monarchy in 1660, such as Monck’s Regiment which became the Coldstream Guards, the red coat became the standard uniform of infantry soldiers, who were quickly identified as ‘Redcoats’.
  5. that answer all be it correct is very boring...maybe they had some red cloth hanging around,,,,
  6. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

This will be a short thread then.
  7. I'm told red dye (or red cloth) was the cheapest available at that time.
  8. blue-sophist

Christ, you're old. You remember that?
  9. so no change in army equipment then,,cheapest...
  10. blue-sophist

Of course.
    Are you surprised?
    It was a mercy that the Crabs were spared the Ruritanian Blue cloth that ... oh, so nearly ... became their uniform. Instead, someone was apparently persuaded to use a collection of left-over dyes to produce the dreaded Crab-Fat Grey.
  11. Inclement weather?
  12. Crabair's uniform was inspired by old Prussian cavalry uniforms, hence the colour is officially 'Prussian Blue'. Looks great in 21oz barathea, but unfortunately we insist, wherever possible, on reproducing it in polyester or inferior quality cloth whereby it loses some of its lustre. More often than not we get the colour completely wrong anyway; medium weight trousers anyone?

Unfortunately Prussian Blue is also the band name for the neo-nazi twins Lamb and Lynx Gaede (here).
  13. Are you sure???

I'm thinking... the hundred years war 1350 ish... didn't the English bowl up in red? Maybe you are right though... it could have been chainmail and their Lord's tunics.

Perhaps I've been Hollywooded... Certainly in Braveheart (is anything true from that film) Edward's Army were in red.
  14. Isn't a legacy of the red cloaks and trimmings used by Romes legions?
  15. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

It is highly, highly, unlikely that the Army wore any sort of uniform as we know it back in the time of Longshanks. Most soldiers were levied from local Lords, and at the very most (and this was pretty rare) wore something to make them recognisable to him.

More bullshit from Mel Gibson, as normal.
    • Like Like x 1