Why Did the Celtic Nations Remain Quiet?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by AIR FILTER, Aug 16, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Interesting angle of thought on the riots that has not been covered yet to my Knowledge.

Why did all the Celtic nations of the U.K behave themselves and remain quiet during the riots in England?

It was good that they did, don't get me wrong, but the laws of the land regarding Westminster's cutbacks for example affect all our Celtic brothers too!

Could Celtic government devolution of had something to do with it?
  2. In south east Wales it was down to an increase in government subsidised Strongbow, Heroin, repeats of Wales rugby matches from the 70's, and Roids.

Everyone was too busy getting tanked up, shooting up, reliving the glory days, or lifting weights to bother rioting.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Because no one would have seen the difference.
  4. Because it was raining here....................again
  5. Research the Demography of UK by country and ethnicity.

Might give you a starting point.
    • Like Like x 8
  6. because we saw it as an opportunity to score some one upmanship points.

"have you seen the riots in ENGLAND? its terrible. no, no, nothing like that here. we're just different, its not in our culture"

plus we were too busy getting pissed/smacked up and watching it on the council telly
  7. In NI we have a rioting season. Civil disturbances at any other time are considered bad form.

Scotland as pointed out has lots of rain. Rain and plasma tv's don't mix. Scots only riot on English soil i.e Wembley 1977, Manchester 2008 and any Lidl that has run out of Buckfast.

Wales will never see a riot, For as much as they dislike the English they dislike each other even more and wold not tell each other where to riot. Irrationaly though they do contimplating grassing up friends they think would riot.

Other socioeconomic and environmental considerations also come on to play such as the exposure of your ancestors to large amounts of sunshine and a liking of water melon.
    • Like Like x 11
  8. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Smaller, more homogenous cities. Rain. Old-fashioned policing. Civic pride still exists. Rain. Better things to do. Did I mention the rain?

Yorkshire and the North East were also pretty quiet and they're not Celtic.
  9. We were sharing our rain with them
  10. 'cos there's no effing shops worth looting, that and Johnnyboyzz answer, it was raining.
  11. did they ever get round to issuing campaign medals for that?
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Because taxpayer subsidies from the English already keep them amply provided with the various intoxicants, home entertainment systems etc around which their lives revolve. Why bother stealing stuff that you qualify to get off the social by being short and having a peculiar accent?
  13. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

The Festival is on in Edinburgh.
  14. plus Edinburgh is full of posh English cnuts
    • Like Like x 1
  15. I don't think that's quite so. There are no tuition fees in Scotland or Wales, not sure about educational allowance.

It could also be that now having their own National Assemblies that they feel removed from direct control from Westminster and have a greater affinity with their own assemblies. If they feel happy with the way their Assembly rules then they are less likely to kick off against Westminster.
    You'll probably find that the National Assemblies will also lead to full independence as many people see Westminster as less and less relevant to their lives.
    • Like Like x 1