Why did NBC become CBRN rather than NBCR?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by EX_STAB, Sep 17, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Clearly there must have been a desire to distinguish the effects of "dirty bomb" type radiological weapons from nuclear weapons but how come the "R" wasn't just tagged on the end?

Did the new acronym reflect the perceived likelihood of facing the various threats i.e. Chemical most likely etc?

Somebody must have persuaded everybody else to change it......
  2. It standardised with the acronym in use with non military agencies.

3. OK, that makes some degree of sense but where did they get that from? Why wouldn't they have followed military practice but added hte "R" on the end? I have a vague notion that way back when it was just "NC" not sure where I've picked that up from as a quick google doesn't bring anything up.

Clearly it's not of world shattering importance what order you arrange an acronym in but it just piqued my curiosity....
  4. It's also because we the military have particular duties under national contingency operations. Years before it changed in the Army, some units prepared for CBRN operations.

In fact now that the Army has taken up the CBRN mantel, what was CBRN is now CBRNE.

A dirty bomb could go nuclear or radiological (actually its probably a small yield with lots of radiological dispersal).

It's very easy to make a Radiological Dispersal Device (RDD).
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Now I am truly puzzled as to why E for explosives has been added as the others at least had something in common in that you needed a suit, a respirator and some spot on drills to survive for any length of time (if at all) but explosives of any sort can't be protected against by such methods and don't leave persistent effects?

Agreed about RDD but a BDD is even easier, astonishing it hasn't been done (well maybe it has) but clearly we don't need to go into the details of that.
  6. E is for "Enhanced" or "Exotic" depending on who you talk to.

It's added so that the CBRNe acronym basically covers any kind of weapon except the kinetic.
  7. No, it's Explosive.
  8. Then people are still operating to different, and in the case of those using "explosive", nonsensical acronyms.
  9. Just ask any Infantryman that's broke a SUSAT by falling out of a Bedford, now that gets intresting.
  10. In the really dim and distant past, ISTR it was ABC - 'Atomic' - before they went and developed fusion weapons
  11. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

CBRN? Wild-arsed guess on my part, but it may be in order of assessed likelihood of use (at the time the acronym was changed).
  12. For us it changes all the time, I joined with NBCD (Damage- due to learning about damage control on ships), then CBRN, and now it's CBRNDC (Damage Control). First time I've ever heard of CBRNe.
  13. They will be calling Gas Masks resperators next!