Why did it change?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Legs, Jul 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Way back when I was a kid the police had Alsatians as Police Dogs, and mighty scary they were as well. Now they have German Shepherds instead - but they look the same (except I'm not so scared of them now).

When did it change?
    Why did it change?
  2. Aren't they the same thing?

"The name Alsatian was taken into consideration as recent as the Second World War when the Allied Forces chose to discard any word having a connection to the name Germany or German. They reached a nobel way to name the German Shepherd Dog (which had a dominant presence in their Defence Forces as Guard Dogs) as Alsatian derived from the German town of Alsatia, a place presumed to be the originating place of the breed."

Bleedin' geeeeermans
  3. They're not the same thing?
  4. Did we just get WAHd?
  5. They look it, but they are called different names now. Why did the name change. No Wah!
  6. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

I'm expecting a BFO 'QI' stylee klaxon going off to indicate this is an urban myth, but I'd always honestly thought that the name German Shepherd fell out of favour during one of the world wars due to anti-Boxhead sentiment and Alsatian was somewhat less inflammatory.
  7. Probably...Legs has a low boredom threshold and is spending much time on her arrse just lately :D
  8. the name alsation was introduced because on the fuss 39-45

allowed now to reflect the heritage of the pavement crapping dogs
  9. Probably right there BB...
  10. If memory serves, and it often doesnt, but im happy to be corrected, this was down to the kennel club.

Apparently, for a pure breed Alsacian to be such, it had to be bred in Alsacia/n the village/town, otherwise, the dog could only be registered as, a German shepheard.

Probably bollo-cks, but thats what I heard.
  11. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Would you prefer it to be called a French Shepherd Dog instead?
  12. You are correct. It was after WWI that German Shepherd was changed to Alsatian, though many obviously use German Shepherd again now as the war is long over.
  13. Name
    The breed was named Deutscher Schäferhund by Von Stephanitz, literally translating to "German Shepherd Dog". The breed was so named due its original purpose of assisting shepherds in herding and protecting sheep. At the time, all other herding dogs in Germany were referred to by this name; they thus became known as Altdeutsche Schäferhunde or Old German Shepherd Dogs. Shepherds were first exported to Britain in 1908, and the UK Kennel Club began to recognise the breed in 1919.

The direct translation of the name was adopted for use in the official breed registry; however, at the conclusion of World War I, it was believed that the inclusion of the word "German" would harm the breed's popularity,[12] due to the anti-German sentiment of the era.[13] The breed was officially renamed by the UK Kennel Club to "Alsatian Wolf Dog"[a][12] which was also adopted by many other international kennel clubs. Eventually, the appendage "wolf dog" was dropped.[12] The name Alsatian remained for five decades,[12] until 1977, when successful campaigns by dog enthusiasts pressured the British kennel clubs to allow the breed to be registered again as German Shepherd Dogs.[2]
  14. Ooooer missus...looking at your avatar should not this be in the NAFFI....