Why cant you get these films on DVD?

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by diehard57, Sep 17, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have copies of all of these on video tape (pre-recorded or off the TV) but for some reason I don't think they're availble on DVD - anyone know why or where they can be obtained?

The Bofors Gun (1968) - John Thaw, Nicol Williamson, David Warner. A weak national service NCO (Warner) who comes face to face with an embittered Irish Gunner (Williamson) who is determined to humiliate him.

Tunes Of Glory (1960) - John Mills, Alec Guiness. Major Jock Sinclair (Guiness) is the acting CO of his regiment,expecting to be posted as the permanent CO, he is disillusioned to learn that another officer (Mills) - one who, unlike himself, did not rise from the ranks - is to take over.

Angels One Five (1952) - John Gregson. 'Septic' Baird joins a front line RAF squadron at the height of the Battle of Britain.

The Long Days Dying (1968) - David Hemmings, Tom Bell. British Paras stuck behing enemy lines have to bring a German POW back with them

Overlord (1975) - Brian Styrner, Nicholas Ball. During the war a young lad is called up and, with an increasing sense of foreboding, undertakes his army training ready for D-Day.

Nine Men (1943) - Jack Lambert, Gordon Jackson. The nine men of the title are a British WWII Army patrol stuck in a desert fort during the African campaign. The men must defend the fort against the Italian and German troops until they can be relieved.

Guns At Batasi (1964) - Richard Attenborough, Jack Hawkins. A British Army unit gets caught up in a military coup in an African country.

2. cheekykunt, I've just had a glance at your contributions.
    I think you're a bit of a knobber. I have some predictions, one (or more) of the following will happen shortly :-

1. You're going to get an 'Oxygen Thief' Tag.
    2. You're going to get banned.
    3. I'm going to discover your IP Address & add it to my list of 'people to damage when I'm bored'.

TTFN

BFG

3. i wonder if he'll be the same cnut that was on here last night, saying black ppl should be gassed

4. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

I think you can get Tunes of Glory on DVD
    However If you have sky movies it has been on one of the channels right at the bottom Actionmax or one of those it's been on there about 4 times in the last 10 days
    It seems to be in rotaition with Breaker Morant another cracking film

Agree with BFG9000

5. Is that the film where Attenborough is playing a Warrant Officer, and he gives that nostril flaring,eye popping speech about taking the regimental silverware?

If it is,cracking film!

Edited to add:

I found it on Amazon.com

Link

6. As you may have suspected, Cheekyknut is just another iteration of CheshireSoldier, the well know ******.

7. diehard57 try the British Film Institute

http://www.bfi.org.uk/

I believe that they have every (most) UK film in their libary.

8. Boy, haven't seen this on TV for yonks. Great film and wonderfully BRITISH! If I recall Guinness does the only decent thing a British fellow can do at the end. Won't spoil it. Or was it Mills? Oooh the suspense of it.

9. Random Task I love you and want to have your babies!!

I have been loking for the Guns at Batasi on and off for years after copy was taped over by Lady Ruff Diamond.

Treemendous

10. Happy to help! :D Put my order in today

A couple of quotes, courtesy of IMDB

11. Is this the one where the Sgts "catchprase" for want of a better description is "Umpittypoo" (a corruption of un petit poix meaning a little more)?

12. That's the one - although I think it's actually 'un petit peu' - if I am wrong I know I'll be corrected.

13. Thats what I thought too! Un Petit Peu it is. C'est Bon.

14. Thanks v.much for the link - DVD now winging its way in exchange for nearly of your English squids- result!