Why cant you get these films on DVD?

#1
I have copies of all of these on video tape (pre-recorded or off the TV) but for some reason I don't think they're availble on DVD - anyone know why or where they can be obtained?

The Bofors Gun (1968) - John Thaw, Nicol Williamson, David Warner. A weak national service NCO (Warner) who comes face to face with an embittered Irish Gunner (Williamson) who is determined to humiliate him.

Tunes Of Glory (1960) - John Mills, Alec Guiness. Major Jock Sinclair (Guiness) is the acting CO of his regiment,expecting to be posted as the permanent CO, he is disillusioned to learn that another officer (Mills) - one who, unlike himself, did not rise from the ranks - is to take over.

Angels One Five (1952) - John Gregson. 'Septic' Baird joins a front line RAF squadron at the height of the Battle of Britain.

The Long Days Dying (1968) - David Hemmings, Tom Bell. British Paras stuck behing enemy lines have to bring a German POW back with them

Overlord (1975) - Brian Styrner, Nicholas Ball. During the war a young lad is called up and, with an increasing sense of foreboding, undertakes his army training ready for D-Day.

Nine Men (1943) - Jack Lambert, Gordon Jackson. The nine men of the title are a British WWII Army patrol stuck in a desert fort during the African campaign. The men must defend the fort against the Italian and German troops until they can be relieved.

Guns At Batasi (1964) - Richard Attenborough, Jack Hawkins. A British Army unit gets caught up in a military coup in an African country.
 
#2
cheekykunt said:
no ones arrsed u loser so get back to trainspotting u dick
cheekykunt, I've just had a glance at your contributions.
I think you're a bit of a knobber. I have some predictions, one (or more) of the following will happen shortly :-

1. You're going to get an 'Oxygen Thief' Tag.
2. You're going to get banned.
3. I'm going to discover your IP Address & add it to my list of 'people to damage when I'm bored'.


TTFN

BFG
 

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
#4
I think you can get Tunes of Glory on DVD
However If you have sky movies it has been on one of the channels right at the bottom Actionmax or one of those it's been on there about 4 times in the last 10 days
It seems to be in rotaition with Breaker Morant another cracking film

Agree with BFG9000
 
#5
Guns At Batasi (1964) - Richard Attenborough, Jack Hawkins. A British Army unit gets caught up in a military coup in an African country.
Is that the film where Attenborough is playing a Warrant Officer, and he gives that nostril flaring,eye popping speech about taking the regimental silverware?

If it is,cracking film!

Edited to add:

I found it on Amazon.com

Link
 
#7
diehard57 try the British Film Institute

http://www.bfi.org.uk/

I believe that they have every (most) UK film in their libary.
 
#8
diehard57 said:
Tunes Of Glory (1960) - John Mills, Alec Guiness. Major Jock Sinclair (Guiness) is the acting CO of his regiment,expecting to be posted as the permanent CO, he is disillusioned to learn that another officer (Mills) - one who, unlike himself, did not rise from the ranks - is to take over.
Boy, haven't seen this on TV for yonks. Great film and wonderfully BRITISH! If I recall Guinness does the only decent thing a British fellow can do at the end. Won't spoil it. Or was it Mills? Oooh the suspense of it.
 
#11
diehard57 said:
Nine Men (1943) - Jack Lambert, Gordon Jackson. The nine men of the title are a British WWII Army patrol stuck in a desert fort during the African campaign. The men must defend the fort against the Italian and German troops until they can be relieved.
Is this the one where the Sgts "catchprase" for want of a better description is "Umpittypoo" (a corruption of un petit poix meaning a little more)?
 
#12
CutLunchCommando said:
diehard57 said:
Nine Men (1943) - Jack Lambert, Gordon Jackson. The nine men of the title are a British WWII Army patrol stuck in a desert fort during the African campaign. The men must defend the fort against the Italian and German troops until they can be relieved.
Is this the one where the Sgts "catchprase" for want of a better description is "Umpittypoo" (a corruption of un petit poix meaning a little more)?
That's the one - although I think it's actually 'un petit peu' - if I am wrong I know I'll be corrected.
 
#13
diehard57 said:
CutLunchCommando said:
diehard57 said:
Nine Men (1943) - Jack Lambert, Gordon Jackson. The nine men of the title are a British WWII Army patrol stuck in a desert fort during the African campaign. The men must defend the fort against the Italian and German troops until they can be relieved.
Is this the one where the Sgts "catchprase" for want of a better description is "Umpittypoo" (a corruption of un petit poix meaning a little more)?
That's the one - although I think it's actually 'un petit peu' - if I am wrong I know I'll be corrected.
Thats what I thought too! Un Petit Peu it is. C'est Bon.
 
#14
Random_Task said:
Guns At Batasi (1964) - Richard Attenborough, Jack Hawkins. A British Army unit gets caught up in a military coup in an African country.
Is that the film where Attenborough is playing a Warrant Officer, and he gives that nostril flaring,eye popping speech about taking the regimental silverware?

If it is,cracking film!

Edited to add:

I found it on Amazon.com

Link
Thanks v.much for the link - DVD now winging its way in exchange for nearly of your English squids- result!
 
#15
The Bofors Gun (1968) - John Thaw, Nicol Williamson, David Warner. A weak national service NCO (Warner) who comes face to face with an embittered Irish Gunner (Williamson) who is determined to humiliate him.
What a brill film. Great ending, which I won't spoil! :)
 
#16
diehard57 said:
CutLunchCommando said:
diehard57 said:
Nine Men (1943) - Jack Lambert, Gordon Jackson. The nine men of the title are a British WWII Army patrol stuck in a desert fort during the African campaign. The men must defend the fort against the Italian and German troops until they can be relieved.
Is this the one where the Sgts "catchprase" for want of a better description is "Umpittypoo" (a corruption of un petit poix meaning a little more)?
That's the one - although I think it's actually 'un petit peu' - if I am wrong I know I'll be corrected.
I was thinking about this after posting. Isn't there a Boyes rifle used in this?
 

Mr Happy

LE
Moderator
#18
Chaps, if you ever see anything like CheekyK' postings again please PM me immediate so I can start clearing off his desk and call the CO's for a banning order.

Mr H
Mod of this forum
 

New Posts

Latest Threads

Top